FiiO E10: "Popping noise/jitter" is for OLD batches only???
Nov 12, 2012 at 10:58 PM Post #31 of 43
If that was the case, than it means that all of my USB ports including the one I used from other laptops is all "dirty" and unreliable.

However, I don't think that is the cause of the problem.

Not to mention I have cleaned my PC a week ago so I don't think this is the case.

Nov 12, 2012 at 11:12 PM Post #32 of 43
Cleaning your PC has nothing to do with a 'dirty' USB port though. The 'dirty' part is referring to the noise generated by the PC hardware circuit and the inadequate of power filtering in most PC these days.

Nov 13, 2012 at 7:41 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:
Cleaning your PC has nothing to do with a 'dirty' USB port though. The 'dirty' part is referring to the noise generated by the PC hardware circuit and the inadequate of power filtering in most PC these days.

Alright, I see what you mean.

However, I've just found out that the problem was indeed caused by older batches.
I've just tried using one of my friend's E10 Olympus (His one is latest version with gold jack) and after testing it on various PCs, the result was crystal clear: I could not hear any jitters/popping noise.
I also tried comparing with my E10 and the jitter was very clear for mine whereas, there were no jitters for my friend's E10.

So I think the older batches are causing this problem. I don't think there are any solution for this as it is something that is out of our reach (defective/faulty).

Looks like I need to get an refund this time though the shop which I bought it from are not letting me since I've already passed the return date according to their policy. But really, I was stuck with this problem for nearly a month and with countless email exchange with them to fix this problem, how are they expecting me to send this item again within the time period? ***, I think I have shopped in the wrong store.

Nov 13, 2012 at 10:00 PM Post #34 of 43
Contact FiiO directly and hopefully they should be able to help you.

Nov 14, 2012 at 6:43 AM Post #35 of 43
Heh, I've tried contacting them a month ago and still haven't got any replies back from them. I gave up on them since they are not even replying back.

As for the seller and the return issue, seems like they are telling me to sell it on Ebay and get a new one from other sellers lol... Are they being serious?

Nov 14, 2012 at 10:02 AM Post #36 of 43
A month ago was one of the largest holidays in China so probably no one in the office to check email, or turn on the computer to receive email. Anyway, try again.

Is the seller an authorized dealer at all?

Nov 15, 2012 at 4:35 AM Post #37 of 43
Alright I'll try to contact them again. Though I've sent them an email each week till now so I'm pretty sure they have received my email. Also, I forgot to tell you this but last week I received a short message from them asking me if my E10 had a "gold jack" and a word "Olympus" written on the E10 and the packaging. From what I can tell, they are going to tell me to get a refund and buy the latest batch. I don't think they are going to give me any solutions to fix my current E10.

As for the seller, I think they are an authorized dealer. I saw their product on ebay and bought it from there.
Here is the link to the product: http://www.ebay.com/itm/FiiO-E10-USB-DAC-Digital-to-Analog-Signal-Portable-Headphone-Amplifier-Amp-/290795477514?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item43b4c2da0a
And here is the link to their site: http://www.sonicelectronix.com/

I live in Australia and at that time, when I checked my local and all around Australia to find a seller for E10, I couldn't find anyone thus I decided to buy it from Ebay (which turns out that seller is currently at US). I think my first mistake was here: I've just found out that on FiiO's official website they link to the stores which they supply and when I checked Oceanic there were literally 3 or 4 stores available for Australia (all of them have the latest batches from FiiO). 

But yeah... what's happened is happened, I can't change the fact that I didn't do the research enough. But that doesn't mean sonicelectronix can send defective itemsTWICE in a row and not responding to my email... and also telling me to sell the item on Ebay and buy it somewhere else... what kind of customer service is that?

I don't know what to do anymore. I might go buy a new one from one the stores in Australia but that just means that I have wasted nearly $100 on my current defective DAC plus shipping charges.

Jan 6, 2013 at 7:39 PM Post #38 of 43
Hi all.

Found this thread while looking the solution for the exact same problem.

My E10 is the old one too (with no Olympus written on it), and the noises are heard on similar situations (while playing/pausing the music player or an online streaming, I can hear it after the system plays short warning sounds too, like the warning messages from Windows).

But mine have one more problem: It only works after I disconnect the cable and connect it again every time I start my computer. Before that, no sound are detected by the system, it's like there's no playback devices installed.
This second problem can be solved by disabling the onboard sound card on BIOS and removing all traces of it's drivers from Windows, but if I do that I have no mic-in, and it sucks.
Some time ago I was using GNU/Linux to do some work, and if I recall, The E10 worked perfectly there, with no issues at all.

So I was thinking this old batches has some communication issue with it's own drivers on Windows, not a hardware problem.

I'll try some more things anyway, like making a better grounding for my computer and messing a little more with drivers and stuff on Windows, but I have a feeling that this problem can't be solved.

Jan 30, 2013 at 7:44 PM Post #39 of 43
"But mine have one more problem: It only works after I disconnect the cable and connect it again every time I start my computer. Before that, no sound are detected by the system, it's like there's no playback devices installed."

I had a similar problem, and solved it by going to control panel, sound, clicking on Fiio E10,  properties,supported formats, and unchecking DTS audio and dolby digital.

"On most computers, DVD Quality is selected by default and converting CD Quality audio (as on Audio CD's) to DVD Quality introduces a slight ringing effect. This is clearly audible during relatively silent fragments."

http://www.polderbits.com/select-playback-audio-format.html

Feb 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM Post #40 of 43
Hey, started searching for answers since I've been hearing not so long ago the same pops. It's like "tic tic tic tic" and then its over for a minute or two, then it happens again. It didnt happen before.

I was wondering, why didnt it happen since the 1st time I connected it? Strange. So! Here's my solution, it was making that sound because it was laying on my laptop! Can you imagine that?!
I just picked it up, put it down on the table and the popping sounds stopped... Weird, but it helped me. Something to do with static?

Feb 26, 2013 at 9:41 PM Post #41 of 43
Quote:
  I don't know what to do anymore. I might go buy a new one from one the stores in Australia but that just means that I have wasted nearly $100 on my current defective DAC plus shipping charges.

Before you give up completely, try this:  Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > click on the Audio tab.  Be sure the FiiO USB DAC E10 is highlighted, then click on Advanced.  Click on the Performance tab and be sure that the sliders for Hardware Acceleration and Sample Rate Conversion are both all the way to the right.  See if this makes a difference.   Good luck!

Mar 3, 2013 at 1:29 PM Post #42 of 43
Before you give up completely, try this: Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices > click on the Audio tab. Be sure the FiiO USB DAC E10 is highlighted, then click on Advanced. Click on the Performance tab and be sure that the sliders for Hardware Acceleration and Sample Rate Conversion are both all the way to the right. See if this makes a difference. Good luck!

Could not find this on Windows 7. lol

Mar 18, 2013 at 7:29 PM Post #43 of 43
I started an account just to reply to this thread.  I got the popping noise vevery couple seconds on my newly acquired "used" E10 and tried changed around the settings and the port it was plugged into.  Nothing fixed it until I disabled the motherboard built-in sound under "playback devices" and disabled USB selective suspend setting under Power Options - Advanced Power Settings.  Now I have it set to 24-bit, 96 kHz and it doesn't pop at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back