FiiO e10 kick-in?
Dec 21, 2012 at 6:23 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Doobish

New Head-Fier
So I bought a FiiO e10 for my new Beyerdynamic DT990s (250 ohm) and I've noticed that when everything on my computer is silent, and a sound plays, the start of the sound is cut off. For example, when I get a message on steam I only hear the last half of the notification sound. It's consistent and only seems to happen with sudden sounds (like message tones). I do hear the full thing if I have other audio playing already. So is this normal? Should I get used to this? Or can I fix it? Thanks in advance.

Dec 21, 2012 at 7:58 PM Post #3 of 6
I used to get this a lot even via coax on my Zero dac. I noticed it started happening after I installed a certain Realtek Audio driver (for my motherboard's onboard audio), once I uninstalled it and just let W7 run its own Realtek driver it went away. Maybe it's a power saving feature or something.

For USB dacs on Windows, some solutions here might help

Dec 22, 2012 at 6:17 AM Post #5 of 6
This is (unfortunately) a 'feature' of the e10.  It defaults to a muted state, and kicks on when it gets a signal.  Not really an issue when you're listening to music (where the audio signal is constant), but quite annoying for VOIP, program notifications, etc.  I don't believe there is a fix for this outside of always feeding it a signal of some kind.  I also doubt removing a driver will have any effect on it (it uses your computer's built in USB drivers, as most USB DACs do, and the issue is within the device's internal programming).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back