Fiio E1 - iPod LOD integrated amp
Nov 2, 2009 at 6:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

4sound

100+ Head-Fier
This design looks really interesting for iPod users that want something dirt cheap. I see it is available thru Head-Direct for the same price as an E5. Has anyone got one of these yet and did a comparison to the E5?

Nov 4, 2009 at 3:53 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by 4sound /img/forum/go_quote.gif
This design looks really interesting for iPod users that want something dirt cheap. I see it is available thru Head-Direct for the same price as an E5. Has anyone got one of these yet and did a comparison to the E5?

I received mine from Head-Direct today (yay for shipping out of NYC!). I've only listened briefly, but the sound is MUCH improved from the E5. I immediately noticed a much wider soundstage, especially on "Dead Flag Blues" by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. The highs and mids are more prominent and crisp than with the E5, but not overly so. The bass isn't as deep as the E5 with bass-boost on, but it's comparable to bass-boost off, except more refined. I cannot tell if the increase in sound quality is due to use of line-out, rather than headphone jack, but nonetheless, I MUCH prefer it to my E5. The controls are much appreciated, as my clickwheel is starting to die out. I was thinking about purchasing a Zune HD + a pair of Sleek Audio SA1s, but after this purchase, I think I'll wait until my iPod dies.

My setup was:
iPod Classic 6th Gen (160GB- 2007, not 2009) -> E5 via headphone jack -> NuForce NE-8s

Now:
iPod Classic 6th Gen (160GB- 2007, not 2009) -> E1 via line out -> NE'8s

I'd highly recommend it over the E5, unless you plan on moving away from the iPod line anytime soon.

Nov 4, 2009 at 6:19 AM Post #3 of 40
Thanks for the info. The NE8s are pretty detailed in the mids/highs to begin with so it makes sense the E1 would enhance that aspect. I would think the NE8 could use the bass boost of the E5. I wonder what it would sound like if you coupled both E1 and E5 using a mini-to-mini cable to the NE8?

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:35 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by DGarces89 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've only listened briefly, but the sound is MUCH improved from the E5.

I think an 'I told you so' is in order
biggrin.gif
Joking aside, my review is here if the OP is interested.

Quote:

I wonder what it would sound like if you coupled both E1 and E5 using a mini-to-mini cable to the NE8?

Your rig is going to be as good sounding as its weakest link. Why add an E5 to mess up everything?

Nov 4, 2009 at 7:37 AM Post #5 of 40
could the improvement be due to the fact that it's coming out from the Line-Out instead of the headphone jack?

Quote:

I wonder what it would sound like if you coupled both E1 and E5 using a mini-to-mini cable to the NE8?

it would blow up.

just kidding. it would probably be louder, but likely harsher.

Nov 4, 2009 at 8:26 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think an 'I told you so' is in order
biggrin.gif
Joking aside, my review is here if the OP is interested.

Your rig is going to be as good sounding as its weakest link. Why add an E5 to mess up everything?

Great review. Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to pick up a few E1s for Xmas gifts.

Nov 4, 2009 at 9:20 AM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by oddiofile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the LOD on the E1 compatible with the Touch 2nd gen?

Theoretically, it should be compatible to all iPod / iPhone's dock after 5th gen. including all the iTouch.

Nov 4, 2009 at 2:42 PM Post #10 of 40
On E1's website:
Quote:

Compatible with iPod Nano, iPod Video, iPod Touch, iPhone, all generations & all versions

Nov 18, 2009 at 3:28 AM Post #13 of 40
I'm also looking into getting either the E5 or E1 to use with my Klipsch S4's and IM716's.

My S4's straight out of my iPhone are a bit loud on their lowest volume level. I've been told that the E5 (with its volume control) can be used to decrease the volume output from the iPhone. Does anyone know if the E1 can do the same? Or does it only work to boost the volume?

Nov 18, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #15 of 40
got the E1 today, overall it's what i expected it to be. great balanced SQ, there seems to be a decent amount of bass, but in a good punchy, tight way.

only gripe with it is the absurd length of the wire. way too long IMO, just gets in the way and tangles up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back