Fiio E09k frequency response question.
Sep 29, 2012 at 4:56 PM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
According to Fiio, the E09k has a frequency response of 20-20k hz. If my headphones have a bigger range than that, will using this amp cut the rest out?

I think above 20k hz your getting out of practical range (mostly) of the average human ear.

Sep 30, 2012 at 2:09 AM Post #3 of 5
Yeah...20 to 20K is generally considered the range of human hearing. .. Also....if you are playing back any type of lossey music (MP3, AAC, OGG, ect...), the highs will rarely even reach 20K.

Music sampled at 44.1 khz (Everything that came from a CD) cuts off at the Nyquist frequancy anyway...which would be 22 khz...

The E9 is fine. Its a nice amp for the money, and should work well with most headphones. Honestly, the only reason I would consider switching to a different amp is if your headphones are under 80 ohms. The E9 has a 10 Ohm output Z, and it is generally advisable to have ~ a >= 1:8 ratio of output impeadance to headphone impeadance. Even still, the differances should be pretty minor. Enjoy the E9, and don't worry! :)

Sep 30, 2012 at 10:28 AM Post #4 of 5
The E9 only rolls off by 0.1 dB at 20 Hz and 20 kHz, although the frequency response is altered somewhat by the interaction of the relatively high output impedance and the headphone drivers. This can be significant in the case of some IEMs, but full size dynamic headphones are less affected (typically less than 1 dB variation). The frequency response specs of headphones are almost always useless, as they do not have any dB tolerances specified, and are often even simply made up; a headphone may be advertised to have a frequency response of 5 Hz to 40 kHz, yet in fact roll off steeply below 50-100 Hz and above 10-15 kHz.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back