FiiO e07k sounds scratchy / distorted if left 'idle'
Nov 21, 2013 at 3:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jedbadda

New Head-Fier
I have the FiiO e07k plugged into my desktop CPU via a USB cable.  I have noticed that if I don't have any sound playing for an hour or more...if the thing is sitting 'idle' for a while, that when I start to play music, youtube, system sounds, it sounds scratchy and distorted.  It's not the headphones, I have tried others.

But if I unplug the usb cable, then plug it back in, it sounds fine again.  It has only been doing this for the last 2-3 weeks or so and I have owned it for about 5 months.

It is super annoying, does anyone have any suggestions?  I am using a Dell that is a little over a year old with Windows 7.  Do you think it is the FiiO, or settings in my CPU?

Nov 21, 2013 at 9:10 AM Post #2 of 5
It is actually Microsoft / Windows' problem.

When Wndows is idle for a while, it will try to be smart and 'save power' by automatically turning off the USB signal, but that causes the USB DAC (*not just FiiO, but any USB DAC) to lose sync with the OS. When you come back to your PC and want to play a song, the digital clock on the PC is no long in sync with DAC and so noise / distortion is generated as a result. That's why when you unplug / replug it, it will fix the problem because the PC is able to re-detect the USB DAC and re-establish the sync - until you leave if idle again.

You can go into the device manage and try to disable the power saving feature but I find that it doesn't always work. The easiest fix is to use self-powered (*via wall adapter) USB hub between the PC and the USB DAC, which will stop Windows from putting it into power save mode (since it is self-powered and can't be turned off).

Nov 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM Post #4 of 5
  That was incredibly helpful, thank you so much for the reply!

Where can I get one of these usb-to-ac-power adapters?

Well, depends on where you are - you can probably find one in a nearby computer shop, or else there is always eBay. Just search 'USB hub with power supply'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back