FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Dec 7, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #1,442 of 1,676
  when connected via USB to a PC(or Mac), the volume control on the computer's screen becomes "SPDIF Interface" volume control.  Should I keep that at maximum and just adjust the volume on the E07K?

Thanks!

I don't think volume on the computer matters. You could have it at 0 for all the E07 cares.

My question is, is there anyway to change this? I don't like to push and twist my wires a lot so is there anyway to change where volume adjustment comes from? I don't want to constantly push the buttons.

Dec 7, 2014 at 8:25 PM Post #1,444 of 1,676
  I don't think volume on the computer matters. You could have it at 0 for all the E07 cares.

My question is, is there anyway to change this? I don't like to push and twist my wires a lot so is there anyway to change where volume adjustment comes from? I don't want to constantly push the buttons.

when I plugged the E07K via USB into my PC, the volume control window changes to "SPDIF Interface" and the sound device changes to "Avinity USB DAC Mobile"   I assume this means the sound is being sent digitally from the PC to the E07K.

The PC's on-screen volume control slider definitely still controls the output volume going into the E07K...   Is this not supposed to happen? or am I doing something wrong?

Dec 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #1,445 of 1,676
Ok I think I figured it out. 

You can control the volume via the sliders on your computer, but in a limited fashion. 

This only applies if the volume mixer for the main device is not set at 0 (the DAC in this case).

Essentially the principal is that of ratios. If the DAC is set at 100, and you have the media player at 50,
you are using half the total output signal strength (I think). But if you have DAC at 50 and media player at 50,
you are you using all of the output. 

Again this is all speculation but I think this is why it's recommended to have it on full on your computer; to ensure 
you're using all of the output (even though everything works perfectly fine at 0).

This is also probably why your PC is able to control the volume on your DAC @RotaryPhones 

Dec 7, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #1,446 of 1,676

This is also probably why your PC is able to control the volume on your DAC @RotaryPhones 

no, that's not the case.

the volume control on the PC is independent of the E07K's volume control.    if I lower the PC volume control to 50%, then I have to raise the E07K's volume up, in order to make in louder.

now I'm even more confused.... :frowning2:

Dec 7, 2014 at 11:15 PM Post #1,447 of 1,676
That's odd. DACs are meant to bypass the onboard soundcard stuff. Must be something specific to Sony/Phillips. 

Forgive me, but did you set the DAC as your default?

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:07 AM Post #1,448 of 1,676
  That's odd. DACs are meant to bypass the onboard soundcard stuff. Must be something specific to Sony/Phillips. 

Forgive me, but did you set the DAC as your default?

I don't have anything that's made by Sony or Phillips?  Are you replying to me or someone else? 

The E07K is selected as the sound device on the PC.

I just tried this on my other PC, as well as a Macbook Air.  They also act the same.  The computer's master volume control raises or lowers the volume being sent to the E07K.    

Does this mean the sound is being sent from the source to the PC's(or Macbook's) onboard soundcard, then sent digitally via the USB to the E07K(which decodes it back to analog and out the headphone jack?)   If so, can the onboard soundcards be completely bypassed?

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #1,449 of 1,676
Sorry I was thinking of something else when I said that. I honestly don't know. Mine completey ignores the master slider. Might be better to wait for someone in a similar situation

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:59 AM Post #1,450 of 1,676
Don't worry. You have the newer E07K the sound is send purely digital to your fiio. Your computers DAC and amp are not involved. The volume is changing the digital signal altering only the volume level so it's as pure as can be. I recommend leaving it slightly below full volume , others prefer to leave it at full volume and use the fiio to adjust.

Cheers,
K

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:45 AM Post #1,451 of 1,676
Don't worry. You have the newer E07K the sound is send purely digital to your fiio. Your computers DAC and amp are not involved. The volume is changing the digital signal altering only the volume level so it's as pure as can be. I recommend leaving it slightly below full volume , others prefer to leave it at full volume and use the fiio to adjust.

Cheers,
K

Thanks!  So the soundcards on my PC and Macbook do get involved in the process? (even if it's just the volume)

I do leave it at roughly at 90%.   On the E07K side, I have the gain at 6dB or 12dB, depending on what I'm listening to, with volume at 20 to 30.  My Sennheiser HD598 soudn warmer/smoother with more pleasant bass.  

The E07K even makes my old headphones sound better. (including a pair of 23-year-old Sony MDR-CD3000 that I recently restored) :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:47 AM Post #1,452 of 1,676
Thanks!  So the soundcards on my PC and Macbook do get involved in the process? (even if it's just the volume)

I do leave it at roughly at 90%.   On the E07K side, I have the gain at 6dB or 12dB, depending on what I'm listening to, with volume at 20 to 30.  My Sennheiser HD598 soudn warmer/smoother with more pleasant bass.  

The E07K even makes my old headphones sound better. (including a pair of 23-year-old Sony MDR-CD3000 that I recently restored) :)

No, technically it's not the soundcard it's the OS that sends the bits to the USB port. Dac and amp from soundcard are not involved.

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:02 AM Post #1,453 of 1,676
No, technically it's not the soundcard it's the OS that sends the bits to the USB port. Dac and amp from soundcard are not involved.

Thanks. That makes sense. :)

The only other thing I'm confused about is the USB charging. I've read several post on this and still can't figure it out.
If I have the E07K plugged into a PC via USB all the time, should I turn the USB charging off?   When charging is off,
does the E07K's DAC or amp still draw power from the built-in battery or does it draw power from the PC's USB port?

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #1,454 of 1,676
Still from the battery, I believe.

Which brings my question: If I keep it plugged into my PC all the time, which is better for battery life?

1) Switch the charge mode to Off, use it until the battery runs low, and recharge when necessary?

or,

2) Keep the charge mode On all the time?

Dec 8, 2014 at 10:59 AM Post #1,455 of 1,676
  Still from the battery, I believe.

Which brings my question: If I keep it plugged into my PC all the time, which is better for battery life?

1) Switch the charge mode to Off, use it until the battery runs low, and recharge when necessary?

or,

2) Keep the charge mode On all the time?

That's one of the reasons I almost bought the E10K.  It only uses power drawn from the USB port.  

I wonder if they can implement something in the E07K's firmware so that allows the user to manuall stop it from drawing power from the battery.  (when plugged into a PC or Macbook USB port)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back