FiiO E07K ANDES Review and Help Thread
Nov 4, 2014 at 9:13 AM Post #1,426 of 1,676
FiiO's official AliExpress store......enjoy!

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/1473108?utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid.com&utm_medium=email

Nov 6, 2014 at 10:49 PM Post #1,427 of 1,676
Can I plug active speakers or active subwoofer into one of the headphone jacks or will the amplifier in E07K fry my speakers?

Wanting to do one of these two things:

PC --> USB to E07K --> headphone out to active speakers (Microlab Solo6C)

or

PC --> USB to E07K --> headphone out to active Subwoofer (Whafedale SW150) --> RCA out to speakers (Microlab Solo6C)

I know the right answer is to get a FiiO L7 and have line out to speakers/subwoofer (and I have ordered and waiting delivery). Will there be any harm in not having/using the L7?

Nov 9, 2014 at 3:10 AM Post #1,429 of 1,676
I'm a little lost

This is an amp and a dac in one box

They both work fine on computers

But do they work on your phone?
Does the DAC work on phones or just the amp part of it?
I have a Nokia N9...

Nov 9, 2014 at 4:00 AM Post #1,431 of 1,676
Okay, thanks for the quick feedback.

I've done some more digging and learned some things.

If you connect to the Fiio through the 3.5mm jack, you will ONLY be using the amp.

But if you connect to it through the mciro-USB, you can use BOTH the amp AND the DAC.

SO if your phone has a mini-USB cable, it can utilize BOTH the amp AND the DAC.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/560757/nokia-usb-on-the-go-support-usb-digital-out-tested-with-fiio-e7

According to the link above, Nokia phones(mine :)) are compatible but you need a special cable.

EDIT:
Anyone know If I can use a mini-usb male to male cable to connect between my phone and the Fiio?

Nov 10, 2014 at 8:22 AM Post #1,433 of 1,676
  Can I plug active speakers or active subwoofer into one of the headphone jacks or will the amplifier in E07K fry my speakers?

Wanting to do one of these two things:

PC --> USB to E07K --> headphone out to active speakers (Microlab Solo6C)

or

PC --> USB to E07K --> headphone out to active Subwoofer (Whafedale SW150) --> RCA out to speakers (Microlab Solo6C)

I know the right answer is to get a FiiO L7 and have line out to speakers/subwoofer (and I have ordered and waiting delivery). Will there be any harm in not having/using the L7?

No problem.  Just make sure to set the E07K's gain to zero, so you don't feed your active speakers too strong a signal.

Let me know if you hear a difference with the L7.  I suspect that you won't unless you have golden ears, but that could just be the miser in me saying I don't need it...

Nov 12, 2014 at 1:29 AM Post #1,434 of 1,676
Just in case anyone was wondering, this works great in USB mode right out of the box on the Galaxy S5 Prime SM-G906K (Korean) on Android 4.4.3.  I had to buy a separate mini to micro USB cable from ebay UK, but it was only about $2. Sounds much better than the original DAC.  I could only find a couple posts anywhere on the net about the S5 and nothing about the Prime so was a little worried it might not work.  My friend is stopping by in a couple hours with his Korean version Galaxy Note Edge so I will update this post with the compatibility of that phone too.  Kind of makes me wonder why the Sony Z3 ads made such a big deal about USB audio out, it seems like most modern phones support it pretty well.

I can also check compatibility with the Korean Note 2, Note 3, and International SIII if anyone needs me to.

Nov 26, 2014 at 3:29 AM Post #1,436 of 1,676
  anyone have experience with e07k and akg q701? will it be enough to power the headphones?

Yes, that is what I run my Q701's off of.  Never heard them on a higher-end amp but they sound great on the E07K.

Dec 6, 2014 at 2:09 PM Post #1,438 of 1,676
I just bought a new FiiO E07K and it works great on my PC.

I plug it in via USB and the PC automatically switches to output SPDIF audio via the E07K.

If I unplug the E07K, the PC automatically switch back to the analog headphone jack.

I'm not a Mac guy, so I want to find out if a 2013 Macbook Air will automatically switch like my PC.
(i.e. no need to manually change any system setting each time I plug/unplug the E07K)

Can any Macbook Air owner shed some light on this?    I don't have a Macbook Air, but I want to
buy one as a gift for a friend.

Dec 6, 2014 at 8:19 PM Post #1,439 of 1,676
  I just bought a new FiiO E07K and it works great on my PC.

I plug it in via USB and the PC automatically switches to output SPDIF audio via the E07K.

If I unplug the E07K, the PC automatically switch back to the analog headphone jack.

I'm not a Mac guy, so I want to find out if a 2013 Macbook Air will automatically switch like my PC.
(i.e. no need to manually change any system setting each time I plug/unplug the E07K)

Can any Macbook Air owner shed some light on this?    I don't have a Macbook Air, but I want to
buy one as a gift for a friend.

Yes. The Mac works the same as Windows when it comes to this. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back