Fiio D3
Jul 24, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #32 of 234
Quote:
yes it does.  It's a pretty short cable.

I can confirm that it works with the apple tv.

I'm planning on getting a DAC to replace the built-in one that I am using in my Samsung HDTV.  Background noise seems a bit high, and I imagine the DAC and output stage isn't all that great.  How large of an improvement did you notice when using this DAC with your Apple TV?

My setup consists of an Apple TV 2 > Samsung HDTV w/ HDMI > NAD C370 int. amp. > B&W DM601S3 speakers

Thanks!

Jul 25, 2011 at 1:38 AM Post #33 of 234

Quote:
Quote:

I'm planning on getting a DAC to replace the built-in one that I am using in my Samsung HDTV.  Background noise seems a bit high, and I imagine the DAC and output stage isn't all that great.  How large of an improvement did you notice when using this DAC with your Apple TV?

My setup consists of an Apple TV 2 > Samsung HDTV w/ HDMI > NAD C370 int. amp. > B&W DM601S3 speakers

Thanks!

I AB'd it between my Sony TV's inbuilt vs this and it's a slight improvement.  Better yes ... mindblowingingly better ... no.  I like that I can now listen to music directly from my apple tv while I play some videogames on my NES or Playstation 2, but other wise, it's not going to blow anyone's mind.  I can't run it directly from my TV (my original plan.)  I guesss it's a good thing I figured this stuff out before I spent 300 on a proper dac to get awesome sound.

I'm guessing you want to shoot the Dac out of your atv directly to your nad amp, then speakers.  That might work fine.
It's a better line out than most line outs.  But my analog line out from my SONY tv sounds great and competes with it well. 

This all being said, I'm going to look for a Keces 131 and just hook that up to the ATV for those Jazz, Rock, Motown, and Rap sessions I need every now and then.  It's not rap if it was made after 1996.

Jul 27, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #34 of 234
Koolpep suggested I try the D3 with my iMac, new Asgard, and HD598 and I am very glad he did. I'm a complete noob and fairly skeptical so I was really wondering if I'd get anything at all from a $25 dac. I bought it because I couldn't get my mind around $200+ for a dac after buying the Asgard and HD598, so I thought I'd give the d3. I can really tell a difference with the d3 and am very happy with it. My only issue at this point is that I sort of wonder if, because I can really tell the difference with a $25 dac, if a serious dac like a music streamer II or the coming Schiit Bifrost would clearly improve the sound a lot more. Even though I'm a noob, I guess I can expect the answer to be a sort of yes, but...

Anyway, the d3 works for me but I'm waiting for someone to review and compare the d3 in some depth so I can really understand what I'm getting in comparison to the much more expensive and respected dacs.

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #35 of 234
I think it's ok.

It's not that much better than my inbuilt TVs DAC (which I was looking to upgrade from).

What's nice is I can use it with a multitude of devices on the fly and it can be used to play music from my Apple TV while I play videogames or while the TV is turned off.  Pretty useful for 30 bucks.

Otherwise, it's not going to replace my Keces as my main DAC.  It is however useful for people that just want a good clean line out from their computer or videogame systems.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #37 of 234
I came across this little number today and think it fits my needs perfectly. I currently have the following set-up: Mac Mini ==> NuForce Icon ==> Orb Mod 1s w/ Mirage Omni 8 Sub.

For some time, I have wanted to move in the direction of taking advantage of hi-res downloads and the NuForce only does 16/44. I snagged a Parasound z-amp and wanted to replace the NuForce with a DAC that would let me run up to 24/96. I was considering the NuForce uDAC 2, but his seems to fit the bill for 1/3 the price EXCEPT that I have no volume control in my proposed set-up other than the Mac Mini. The z-amp does have headphone jack, so I am not loosing that listening option. Anyone see any concerns with the proposed set-up?

One other question, which I think I know the answer to. If I am running my ATV 2 via HDMI to my Denon AVR 1909 receiver, I am not going to pick up anything in terms of quality by sticking this unit in the line, right?

Sep 15, 2011 at 6:19 AM Post #38 of 234
My question: how does this fare with the Pure i20?
'
The Pure i20 has a Cirrus Logic 4353 chip.
This has a Cirrus Logic 4344 chip.

Which has the better DAC chip? I'm not familiar with how Cirrus Logic names their models.

Has anyone got any experience with these two products? better yet, has anyone done an AB with i20 -> amp, and i20 -> D3 -> amp?  Basically a solid AB test of both DAC sections.

Sep 15, 2011 at 2:35 PM Post #39 of 234
I purchased a d3 from Amazon, and it works ok at 24/96, but I got drops in sound at 24/192.

Has anyone else experienced this? I ran it from Toslink to the d3. As well as COAX, same problem using both inputs. I even used a 2nd soundcard, with similar capabilities. Same results. Needless to say i returned it. Should i perhaps purchase a 2nd one, and hope the first one had problems?

Oct 3, 2011 at 3:10 AM Post #42 of 234
I'll give this a try.. since I'm less enthused with the E7 as a DAC.. it's only $30, afterall..

I'm interested in seeing how this sounds paired with my E9 and my SRH-940s..

Oct 10, 2011 at 11:40 PM Post #43 of 234
Well, I was very happy finishing the form to order my Fiio D3 from Amazon, when a message popped up advising me that "this product can´t be delivered to Brazil"...So,  is there any hope that, some day,  I could get my D3 ?

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #44 of 234
Originally Posted by digriz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I purchased a d3 from Amazon, and it works ok at 24/96, but I got drops in sound at 24/192.

Has anyone else experienced this? I ran it from Toslink to the d3. As well as COAX, same problem using both inputs. I even used a 2nd soundcard, with similar capabilities. Same results. Needless to say i returned it. Should i perhaps purchase a 2nd one, and hope the first one had problems?

Craziness.

I went to switch my dac to 24/192 and the option just isn't there.

I'm going to go ahead and suspect I have a bad apple.

Which would explain perhaps why it never worked with my TV.

It's been a while, but I'll contact MICCA and see if they can do anything about it.

Oct 11, 2011 at 12:34 AM Post #45 of 234
Tried DX?
http://www.dealextreme.com/p/fiio-d3-digital-to-analog-audio-converter-66303

Quote:
Well, I was very happy finishing the form to order my Fiio D3 from Amazon, when a message popped up advising me that "this product can´t be delivered to Brazil"...So,  is there any hope that, some day,  I could get my D3 ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back