Fiio D3
Aug 24, 2017 at 1:06 PM Post #226 of 234
I found the D03K to provide a clean, relatively flat output, but it may be a touch bright towards the top. I imagine it would be a step up from integrated DACs but don't expect a mind blowing change, it may end up being quite subtle. I was a bit disappointed to be honest - it's now relegated to feeding a Geneva XS speaker in my bedroom.

The reason I write today is I was lucky enough to have an original D3 (nickel plated RCA sockets) arrive in the post this morning. The original D3 is AMAZING for the money. It's much warmer than any of my other DACs and so well balanced frequency-wise, I was tempted to replace my Caiman with it. I much prefer the warm balance of the D3, but side-by-side, the Caiman does provide more natural detail and depth than both Fiio DACs so I'll be keeping it. But if you have a bright system and don't have a digital eq to balance things out, the original D3 would be perfect. So impressive for the money - the reports are true!

If you can get your hands on an original D3 (mine cost less than £20 used), it will be the best value you've experienced in a long time, if ever. It's going straight into my secondary system and will live there until it dies.

Mar 3, 2018 at 10:39 AM Post #227 of 234
Hello, hopefully it's OK that I use this old thread for my question :)

I recently bought a Fiio Taishan D03k from amazon, to send sound from my TV to my amp (80s sansui model) through toslink, as the analog outs on the tv recently started having a loud buzz.

Unfortunately, the Taishan unit adds highly unpleasant high-pitched distortion to sound. It's very noticeable, especially with piano or human voice. It's pretty much unlisteneable, much worse quality than the TV digital out.

Is it likely that I got a fake or defective d03k? Or could the tv have a defective digital output? Unfortunately I don't have a second dac nor toslink source on hand to test, so I'm not sure what I should do with the taishan.

EDIT Well sorry for the useless post. I tried replacing the HDMI source in the chain, and the culprit seems to be the chromecast. Really weird though, as the chromecast sounds fine through the analog tv outputs, only the digital out introduces distortion. Almost like if the tv did some filtering/pre-processing on the analog outs.

In any case, the Taishan sounds great when doing Computer over HDMI -> TV/toslink -> Taishan -> Amp.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2018 at 8:07 AM Post #228 of 234
Hello, hopefully it's OK that I use this old thread for my question :)

I recently bought a Fiio Taishan D03k from amazon, to send sound from my TV to my amp (80s sansui model) through toslink, as the analog outs on the tv recently started having a loud buzz.

Unfortunately, the Taishan unit adds highly unpleasant high-pitched distortion to sound. It's very noticeable, especially with piano or human voice. It's pretty much unlisteneable, much worse quality than the TV digital out.

Is it likely that I got a fake or defective d03k? Or could the tv have a defective digital output? Unfortunately I don't have a second dac nor toslink source on hand to test, so I'm not sure what I should do with the taishan.

EDIT Well sorry for the useless post. I tried replacing the HDMI source in the chain, and the culprit seems to be the chromecast. Really weird though, as the chromecast sounds fine through the analog tv outputs, only the digital out introduces distortion. Almost like if the tv did some filtering/pre-processing on the analog outs.

In any case, the Taishan sounds great when doing Computer over HDMI -> TV/toslink -> Taishan -> Amp.

I see you are sorted now. I was going to suggest it may be the power supply. The one that came with my D03K is horrid. It introduces loads of interference but the strange thing is that it was inconsistent. I found it find when using my TV USB port with a mini USB cable. Either use that or a proper branded USB wall socked adapter. That should help keep the sound clean.

I too use a phono output from my Freeview box to my integrated amplifier. I don't have an issue with the sound quality of it. The main reason I sometimes find using a digital output to be better is that there is often no interference.

Sep 9, 2018 at 5:48 AM Post #229 of 234
Hi there, this is Marco from Italy.

New here, but owner of a D3 rev.1 since the 2011 or so.
I have just re-found it (it was buried somewhere in the garage) , “enclosed” it into a wood chassis (in which there also is the PSU and various cables) and interposed it between a cheap Philips DVD and my 6L6 SE amplifer.

I’m interested to modify it, but no OpAmp changes: I just want to replace the power capacitor and the two crappy SMD output caps with better MKPs (Mudorf/Audyn).
I did a similar job (and other various mods) years ago on several “Fenice20” T2024-based amplifers and they sounded excellently after this mod.
Well, I watched a diagram on “Circuit Lab” [ https://www.circuitlab.com/editor/#tu2ujy ] and see that one of those output cap is marked as “C5”, but watching on the board, I really can’t locate it, just like I can’t see the other output cap of the other channel…

I saw that here in this thread there is someone who already did this(those) mod(s), then could I ask if it’s possible for you to please post a diagram/layout or even where those output caps are placed on the FiiO D3 rev.1 board ?

Best regards and thanks, anticipately,

Marco

Sep 25, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #230 of 234
I am using this as 5 volts supply. Work wonderfull !
Difference between stock supply and this is nothing short phenomenal !

I was not using my ifi usb 2.0 anymore ... now, I found something usefull to do with!

AIFIiUSB.jpg

Feb 16, 2021 at 7:22 AM Post #231 of 234
Hi all, I feel like a complete ludite. I am trying to figure out how to get my SMSL M200 Bluetooth Dac to connect to my AS501 Yamaha amp to play through my speakers. I just bought the D03 hoping this was the issue (as using a Coax cable direct from the Dac to the Amp did not work) but i just can't get any music to come through the speakers.

I am doing 2 to 1 Coax to the D03 then 2 Coax to 2 Coax to the Amp (Phono or Stereo input) is that right?

Feb 16, 2021 at 4:52 PM Post #232 of 234
Hi all, I feel like a complete ludite. I am trying to figure out how to get my SMSL M200 Bluetooth Dac to connect to my AS501 Yamaha amp to play through my speakers. I just bought the D03 hoping this was the issue (as using a Coax cable direct from the Dac to the Amp did not work) but i just can't get any music to come through the speakers.

I am doing 2 to 1 Coax to the D03 then 2 Coax to 2 Coax to the Amp (Phono or Stereo input) is that right?

Hope I'm understanding your situation.

I have the yamaha AS-300 and use the FiiO D03K to convert the TV's optical out to analogue for a phono input to the amplifier.

Your model is a upgrade on my AS-300 as it has digital inputs. You shouldn't need to use the D03K at all. The M200 will be a significently better DAC than the D03k and as that has a phono output (not coaxial - that is the digital input), that is already doing the job of converting the digital signal to analogue for you - and doing a better job than the D03k would.

The coaxial input is an input as stated on the back. That understandably would not send anything to your AS-501. It is only for receiving the input from a device.

The only option you have with the M200 is to use the phono output. Just checking, have you really not tried this? A standard twin R - L phono cable that is male at both ends?

You also mention you plan to use the Phono or stereo input on your AS-501. The Phono input is dedicated for use with turntables and could potentially damage your speakers if used with another output device as that channel is heavily boosted due to the weak signal turntables provide. So only use the other inputs on your AS-501.

Feb 17, 2021 at 3:50 AM Post #233 of 234
Thanks for your suggesstions, i just tried coax 2-1 and coax 2-2 this morning, i am not even getting floor noise out the speakers which makes me suspicious that the issue may be from the amp to the speakers- going off topic on this thread so i will try to figure it out elsewhere- thanks!

Feb 17, 2021 at 4:49 AM Post #234 of 234
Thanks for your suggesstions, i just tried coax 2-1 and coax 2-2 this morning, i am not even getting floor noise out the speakers which makes me suspicious that the issue may be from the amp to the speakers- going off topic on this thread so i will try to figure it out elsewhere- thanks!

deleted post, will reply in the other thread you took part in

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back