Fiio D3
Nov 8, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #211 of 234

Basically anything.
http://www.fiio.net/en/products/7/parameters
"Power input: recommended DC5V 500mA"
5V 0.5A = USB 2.0 power output.
So, like I said. Basically anything.
If you're using it with a TV and have a spare USB port, use that.

But feel free to test all of the power adapters if you want.
Some USB power adapters might not output as "clean power" as some others do and that could theoretically affect the sound depending on how you're using it.
For example driving headphones directly off of the 3.5mm line out (not recommended!) would put a bigger strain on the poor thing and a higher quality and/or higher current output capability could make a difference in some way, shape or form..

I had a big problem with the power supply that came with it. It was so noisy. As in when plugging a headphone amplifier in to the headphone output or an AV amplifier into the phono output, You could hear this awful buzzing / crackling / hissing. It pretty much just amplified the noised the transformer in the plug made. If I put my ear next to the plug, I could hear some of the sound, but it was just quiet there. I used it with my PC and used USB to power it too. That was pretty clean. I tried all sort of different branded USB phone chargers and pretty much all of them introduced a load of irritating background noise to the D03K. My D03K now gets used with a Samsung TV and is powered by 1 of the 2 USB sockets. That was far better than powering it with the power supply it came with. It also powers off when the TV is off which is handy. The only issue I have with this is that it seems to do a loud-ish pop through my speakers if the amplifier it turned on when I turn the TV on. I assume this will just be the fact that the D03K suddenly is getting power.

Nov 9, 2016 at 11:19 AM Post #213 of 234
  That's great!
So, I guess that I really don't need any external power source. The TV's (Panasonic ST60) power source of max 500mA would be enough, right?

Yes, that will me no problem at all!. You will just need a USB to Mini USB cable. The D03K does come with a power supply, but as I said, it is poor and introduces interference.

Dec 3, 2016 at 3:41 AM Post #215 of 234
Hi! I have a "NuForce uDAC-2" connected to some KRK RP6G3 monitors.Do you recommend me to change to this DAC having already a uDAC-2? I use my setup for everything, music, movies, games. (You could recommend me another option more expensive also).
The model I can find is the "D03K". 

Always had 2 issues with the uDAC-2, so if the quality is the same I'd do the switch:

1) The uDAC-2 sometimes when you change from Track to Track, makes a terrible low frequency crisp sound. (I think it was always a power management "issue" with this model).  (I used to had this issue more frequently with an old PC, for instance, when listening classic music, flutes, etc)
2) Volume Control at low level (1%-30%) is unbalanced and outputs more power in the RIGHT channel until you increase it over 30% where it's balanced. (Already using my monitor at -30dB min volume). 

Thanks!

Dec 4, 2016 at 9:52 AM Post #216 of 234
Hi All,

Longtime lurker, just signed up to ask this question...

I'm using a Soundblaster-Z in my PC. I have always used DT880 Pro headphones straight of the soundcard without any issues. I'm happy with this setup.

However, I recently picked up some KRK Rokit 5 G3 active monitors and I am having terrible groundloop issues. Having thought about it and deciding that I don't want to spend a fortune trying to fix this I've come up with the following plan:

1. Check the "Play stereo mix to digital output" option in the SBZ control panel.
2. Take the TOSLINK output from the soundcard into a Fiio D03k.
3. Connect the RCA outputs of the Fiio to the Rokits.

My question is, will the optical out from the soundcard also carry level / volume information so I can control the output of the Rokits from Windows or is this doomed to failure?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you in advance.

Dec 12, 2016 at 10:59 AM Post #217 of 234

I have a very compact setup and use a mini-mini receiver to get sound called a MASS preamp from Firestone.

It's a simple 2.0 setup that goes to my NHT M-00s.  I was fortunate enough to own a SONY LCD tv that has analog out audio directly from the TV set.  So that's been tiding me over.  But if I can spend 30 bucks and get a bit more sound, then I'm game.  I'll post my review when I get it.  I might not be an expert but I've had some experience with good audio.

All I know is that I've run those speakers on all the DACs I've owned in the past and if I had to assign a percentage, I'd say they're only 50% of their previous potential.  I'll do a random test using my iPod, Mobile Icon Dac/amp, Keces 151, analog out from my tv, then the D3.

We'll see where this baby stands admist all those (nothing I've ever owned has topped the Keces ... even the overhyped DacMagic.)

Hi, sorry for this complete thread resurrection. But I found this via google.

I am thinking about using the D3 to convert optical (from TV) to my active speakers (only analog inputs, Raumfeld L) to hook up the TV. The TV does have analog headphones output, but for 30$, I feel the dac would be a better option. What are your findings? Should I buy the D3 in your oppinion? 

Dec 14, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #218 of 234
Yes.
I did exactly the same thing... The sound quality difference is quite big. Have in mind that just using the analog output (i guess it's a regural headphone jack?) you might be having static noise in your signal to your amp.
At least that was the case for me.
After the D3 everything works amazingly well... :)

Dec 14, 2016 at 10:03 AM Post #219 of 234
Yeah the DAC is quite mediocre in a TV probably, and the cable needs to be around 3 meters. So digital cable of three meter + D3 + very short RCA cable should be better I guess. And about equally in price if you want a decent RCA cable of 3 meters. 

Would you say the cable price/quality matters if it is a really short one (between D3 and amp)?

Thanks for your reply! 

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:22 PM Post #220 of 234
Hey, guys!

I have an RCA TV digital box and even though I can hook it up to my 2.1 speakers via rca to female 3.5mm, the sound still sucks, plus the volume isn't enough but that's another thing, I think.

Anyway, I just wanna ask if ever I decide to buy a D3k, can I hook it to my digital box through L/R rca then I'll just pop in my 2.1 speakers in the line out? Will that work or not?

PS. FYI, my digital box has a coaxial in. I don't really know how this works so if one of you guys could help me then that be really great.

Feb 10, 2017 at 1:32 PM Post #221 of 234
Hey, guys!

I have an RCA TV digital box and even though I can hook it up to my 2.1 speakers via rca to female 3.5mm, the sound still sucks, plus the volume isn't enough but that's another thing, I think.

Anyway, I just wanna ask if ever I decide to buy a D3k, can I hook it to my digital box through L/R rca then I'll just pop in my 2.1 speakers in the line out? Will that work or not?

PS. FYI, my digital box has a coaxial in. I don't really know how this works so if one of you guys could help me then that be really great.

The left / right RCA on D3/D03K is NOT for input. It has the same output signal as the line-out (3.5mm) socket, but with RCA connectors. If you want to use D3, your digital box must support either coax- or optical-out.

Apr 21, 2017 at 4:05 AM Post #223 of 234
Hey there,

I'm thinking of improving sound from my PS4 for single player games, do you think this setup is good for that:

Optical toslink> Fiio d03k>Fiio e07k (for amplification/volume control)> headphones

Sadly I can't use Fiio e07k as USB DAC directly to PS4 as it doesn't work properly.

For headphones I'm thinking of using ATH AD500x (haven't bought it yet, open for suggestions)

I'd feed it stereo PCM and would hope it works well for soundstage and immersion in games. Someone mentioned a V shaped sound so I guess that should be fun for games, right?

Apr 21, 2017 at 2:07 PM Post #224 of 234
  Hey there,

I'm thinking of improving sound from my PS4 for single player games, do you think this setup is good for that:

Optical toslink> Fiio d03k>Fiio e07k (for amplification/volume control)> headphones

Sadly I can't use Fiio e07k as USB DAC directly to PS4 as it doesn't work properly.

For headphones I'm thinking of using ATH AD500x (haven't bought it yet, open for suggestions)

I'd feed it stereo PCM and would hope it works well for soundstage and immersion in games. Someone mentioned a V shaped sound so I guess that should be fun for games, right?

This setup would work fine yes. The main issue I have with the D03K is where to power it. The power supply that comes with it is so noisy! The interference it adds to the sound is very annoying. So you just have to make sure the 5v power supply is a good quality one with no background noise if you are fussy about these things.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back