[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Nov 11, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #1,156 of 2,108
I have considered the BTR3K, but it only puts out 50mw at 32ohms, which is less than the 80mw from the Fiio M6.The M6 drove my Grados OK, but I wouldn’t really want less power.

Plus, compactness and portability isn‘t a big priority for me. It would mainly be for static use, but needing a bit more flexibility than a desktop unit. This is why I’m looking closely at the BTR7.
I agree with you, grado benefitted with more power, btr5 or shanling up4 (same core components, different tuning) as a middle ground will serve you good.

Anyway regarding bluetooth connectivty, ive never tried any bluetooth tws/amp that can really connect from different room (yes including btr7), so dont expect too much and never go too far from your phone

Nov 11, 2022 at 9:48 PM Post #1,157 of 2,108
There is another thing that the BTR7 really does better than all of the other BT dongles: multi point BT pairing! I had problems with almost any other dongle I have tried…but works flawlessly with the BTR7. Almost like an Apple device!

Nov 12, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #1,159 of 2,108
my btr7 went from 80% ->40% in around 3-4 hours battery on high gain (40% volume) is it normal or im just worry too much?i mean, my previous BT receiver can live for a week without charging
I think that is normal for the BTR7.

What similar devices last you a week with similar use?

Nov 12, 2022 at 9:01 AM Post #1,160 of 2,108
my btr7 went from 80% ->40% in around 3-4 hours battery on high gain (40% volume) is it normal or im just worry too much?i mean, my previous BT receiver can live for a week without charging
Normal. I have to charge it twice or thrice a day using 4.4mm boosted on high gain.

Nov 12, 2022 at 1:53 PM Post #1,162 of 2,108
Nov 12, 2022 at 2:20 PM Post #1,163 of 2,108
How do you find the Blutooth on the BTR5? I have read of some complaints about dropouts unless you have complete line of sight…
I bought BTR5 for better portability but then there are lot of compromises in BTR5 compared to BTR7. Even if I try to convince myself for same or close SQ, still lesser battery life, not so good bluetooth connectivity and range are some of those compromises. Yet to find a good use case for BTR5 use.

Nov 12, 2022 at 2:22 PM Post #1,164 of 2,108
I got the BTR7 on Sunday, and the Shanling Up5 yesterday. So far the Up5 is looking much better:

- 3.5, 2.5 and 4.4 outputs cover all my needs for a portable DAC/amp
- a wheel to adjust volume, rather than push-button volume control
- sound quality close enough between the two; it’s hard to say which is ‘better’
- still enough power for ’phones like the HD6XX series
- a better ’next track’ / ‘previous track’ interface, common to other devices, rather than having to remember the BTR7’s idiosyncrasy

I’m tempted to keep both, but last gen I went through the same dilemma and ended up being happy with the Up4 and returning the BTR5.

I prefer FiiO as a brand - but I wish they’d address the above points with their products, otherwise it seems the Shanling keeps beating them for my needs & preferences.
If UP5 had Bluetooth esp with LDAC, it could have been a serious challenger to BTR7.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:29 PM Post #1,165 of 2,108
If UP5 had Bluetooth esp with LDAC, it could have been a serious challenger to BTR7.
What do you mean by "IF", it has all that?
https://www.linsoul.com/products/shangling-up5

Qualcomm Advanced Bluetooth Chip​

Shanling has equipped the latest UP5 with an advanced QCC5120 Bluetooth chip that provides seamless Bluetooth V5.0 connectivity with the device. The QCC51xx series of Bluetooth chips are developed keeping in mind consumer’s demand for high-quality audio as well as extended battery life. UP5 supports most of the advanced high-resolution wireless codecs including LDAC, LHDC, AptX HD, AptX LL, AptX, and more.

Nov 12, 2022 at 5:33 PM Post #1,166 of 2,108
Anyway regarding bluetooth connectivty, ive never tried any bluetooth tws/amp that can really connect from different room (yes including btr7), so dont expect too much and never go too far from your phone
Qudelix 5K can do that.

Nov 12, 2022 at 6:18 PM Post #1,167 of 2,108
Guys, are you using Boost bal out mode with your IEMs? Does it offer a better sound quality with non low sensitivity IEMs?
Also, does Online upgrade work for you? When I tap it, nothing happens. I've already updated to the latest firmware, local upgrade, but when I was tapping online upgrade before, it used to tell me: already on the latest firmware. Now, nothing happens. Does it work for you?

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2022 at 3:52 AM Post #1,170 of 2,108
I tried it with my Hook-X and IE 300 and did not notice any sonic benefits short of a slight increase in volume.
Thank you, I feel the same. No difference in sound quality with my 7Hz Timeless and RAPTGO HOOK-X but I believe my KLH Ultimate One sound better with that setting enabled.

Guys, can anyone please check for firmware upgrade and tell me, are you getting the notification: Already on the latest firmware? I am not. Tapping on that option does nothing. With my UTWS5, I am getting the notification. With the BTR7, I am not.

Thank you

Users who are viewing this thread

Back