[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Oct 23, 2022 at 1:35 PM Post #1,021 of 2,108
My Fav pairing at the moment.

Attachments

• 20220926_145941.jpg
    20220926_145941.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Oct 23, 2022 at 3:51 PM Post #1,022 of 2,108
Thanks for confirming, and no worries, just a little annoyance, as you say :)
@FiiO , have a look, if you please
Nick,

There are a few minor software issues which I have faith that will be sorted out by Fiio with a bit of time.

The important thing is thar the disappearing battery meter does not disrupt any function on the BTR7. You do not have to restart it, just press the top button once or twice. It will also reappear if you ignore it.

As I mentioned on another thread, the BTR7 powers my hard to drive Blon B20 Planar Magnetic headphones very well, indeed. The BTR7 passes the test in that, it does so with lots more volume left in the pot, if required and bass is not anemic, on the contrary, it pumps out good quality bass on the B20.

Remember to get your source (phone, tablet etc.) to full volume (less one notch) and control the volume you want on your BTR7.

Oct 23, 2022 at 4:11 PM Post #1,023 of 2,108
Nick,

There are a few minor software issues which I have faith that will be sorted out by Fiio with a bit of time.

The important thing is thar the disappearing battery meter does not disrupt any function on the BTR7. You do not have to restart it, just press the top button once or twice. It will also reappear if you ignore it.

As I mentioned on another thread, the BTR7 powers my hard to drive Blon B20 Planar Magnetic headphones very well, indeed. The BTR7 passes the test in that, it does so with lots more volume left in the pot, if required and bass is not anemic, on the contrary, it pumps out good quality bass on the B20.

Remember to get your source (phone, tablet etc.) to full volume (less one notch) and control the volume you want on your BTR7.
Thank you, so much, Chris!!

Your reply, here and in the IMR thread, puts my mind at ease! Because I was feeling the purchase of the BTR7 as unjustifiable, since I already have the Qudelix-5K. But now I consider it as a very fine alternative, with a better battery life and different sound signature. Really happy to hear it will drive my IMR well, excited to learn that it can handle planar headphones, reasonably well. For the rest, I have the Mojo 2. Thank you for your advice, as well, regarding the volume. I always keep my sources to full volume but good to know about the minus one notch, for FiiO. Finally, I sincerely wish that @FiiO will listen to you, and sort things in [short] time. There are other devices, like the UTWS5 and the BTA30 Pro, waiting for firmware and driver updates...

All the best, Chris! 👍👍😊

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:50 AM Post #1,024 of 2,108
Is there any way to set the BTR7 to default to LDAC 990/909 kbps, instead of having to go to the Developer settings of my Android phone and set it up each time?

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:58 AM Post #1,025 of 2,108
Is there any way to set the BTR7 to default to LDAC 990/909 kbps, instead of having to go to the Developer settings of my Android phone and set it up each time?
Short answer.. Nope :relaxed: You can set the BTR7 to utilize LDAC through the FiiO app but as far as using a Samsung phone you need to change it in developer settings each time to LDAC 990/909 kbps otherwise the phone default to LDAC Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 5:18 AM Post #1,026 of 2,108
Short answer.. Nope :relaxed: You can set the BTR7 to utilize LDAC through the FiiO app but as far as using a Samsung phone you need to change it in developer settings each time to LDAC 990/909 kbps otherwise the phone default to LDAC Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)
Okay, thank you :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 7:38 AM Post #1,027 of 2,108
1.In the Fiio Control App, ensure LDAC is selected as one of your preferred codecs.

2. Then on your phone select Bluetooth (from the drop-down menu or settings). Click "details".

Screenshot_20221025-123939_One UI Home.jpg

3. You should then get a listed of your paired Bluetooth devices. On that list you will find that with each device on the list there is a cog icon on the right.

Screenshot_20221025-123959_Settings.jpg

4. Click on the cog icon to the right of the BTR7. You should then get another list, the last of which is a choice of codecs, select LDAC (or whichever codec you want) this sets the default codec on your BTR7 to LDAC.

Screenshot_20221025-124017_Settings.jpg

Note: This makes LDAC the default codec on my Samsung Note 10 plus. I cannot say whether it applies to other phones.

Try it and let us know whether it works on your phone.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:25 AM Post #1,029 of 2,108
Thanks a lot, guys, and especially @ChrisOc for posting the screenshots, but the BTR7 already defaults to LDAC on my phone. What I was actually asking is if it can default to LDAC 990/909 kbps. I know now that it cannot happen, I need to set it in the Developer settings each time but that is no problem for me. Thanks, anyway :)

Oct 25, 2022 at 2:28 PM Post #1,030 of 2,108
1.In the Fiio Control App, ensure LDAC is selected as one of your preferred codecs.

2. Then on your phone select Bluetooth (from the drop-down menu or settings). Click "details".

Screenshot_20221025-123939_One UI Home.jpg

3. You should then get a listed of your paired Bluetooth devices. On that list you will find that with each device on the list there is a cog icon on the right.

Screenshot_20221025-123959_Settings.jpg

4. Click on the cog icon to the right of the BTR7. You should then get another list, the last of which is a choice of codecs, select LDAC (or whichever codec you want) this sets the default codec on your BTR7 to LDAC.

Screenshot_20221025-124017_Settings.jpg

Note: This makes LDAC the default codec on my Samsung Note 10 plus. I cannot say whether it applies to other phones.

Try it and let us know whether it works on your phone.
It will still be Adaptive LDAC, not 990kbps, at least on Samsung.
Not 100% sure that the difference between Adaptive and fixed 990kbps is actually audible, if signal is good, Adaptive should go up to 990kbps on its own.

Oct 25, 2022 at 3:39 PM Post #1,031 of 2,108
It will still be Adaptive LDAC, not 990kbps, at least on Samsung.
Not 100% sure that the difference between Adaptive and fixed 990kbps is actually audible, if signal is good, Adaptive should go up to 990kbps on its own.
You are right, I misunderstood Nick's question as a request for LDAC as default (which he had set anyway) not what he axtually meant, which is LDAC at 990 kbps.

As to whether there is an audible difference between Adaptive LDAC and LDAC fixed at 990, i do not know if the difference is audible. I presume Adaptive LDAC fluctuates based on the file in use, which would suggest that at some point the difference may go up to and may even exceed 990kbps, but I am not sure I would be able to tell the difference.

Oct 25, 2022 at 5:19 PM Post #1,032 of 2,108
Adaptive should go up to 990kbps on its own.
You are right :)

By default, LDAC audio bitrate settings are set to Best Effort, which switches between 330/660/990 kbps depending on connection strength
Source

I think, when using the BTR7, I won't bother fixing it in the Developer Settings anymore, because due to its short Bluetooth range, I am carrying my phone in my other pocket, anyway.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2022 at 8:12 PM Post #1,033 of 2,108
Oct 25, 2022 at 10:06 PM Post #1,034 of 2,108
Would you prefer this clip for your BTR7? Looking forword to your feedback or suggestion.

DSC00469.jpgDSC00476.jpgDSC00477.jpgDSC00478.jpgDSC00479.jpgDSC00485.jpg
Even some others seem to have a different opinion, me personally, I really like this creative idea of a velcro based case with interchangeable clip! ☺️👍 I would buy it!

Oct 25, 2022 at 10:37 PM Post #1,035 of 2,108
Just got a used BTR7 for a good price and could now extensively compare it to my Go Blu, UP5 and (in this case from memory) to other dongles I used to own. While I still think sq differeces between those devices are really small, I can say with confidence that what sets the BTR7 apart is that it very noticeably distorts less at high volumes than the others. Both, the UP5 and Go Blu loose a bit of their instrument separation and smear things together at high volumes. Other than that, the UP5 and BTR7 sound much more alike than the Go Blu, that seems to have a slightly different (warmer) sound character. If you want more musical, go Blu, but then you have to get along with the slight hiss. If you want more neutral, go with one of the other two. In this case, you will have to decide between smaller and lighter, more ports (including 2,5!) but less capable at high volumes and with demanding phones (UP5) or the opposite (BTR7). Subjectively, the BTR7 feels the most like a „high quality hifi product“ for us nerdy audiophiles, due to its neutral, hiss and distortion free sound character in combination with its solid and heavy build.
By the way, the apps of BTR7 and UP5 are miles away from Qudelix and I don’t use them at all. EQ influences sq on both, UP5 and BTR7 imo, only the analog (?) implementation of the Go Blu (xBass and xSpace) rocks.
They all have their pros and cons. I am planning on selling one and keep two, haven’t decided yet 😅

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back