[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Oct 9, 2022 at 3:01 AM Post #871 of 2,103
That doesn't seem to be the case? so does this mean it can't be used as a Desktop DAC/AMP / USB Powered? anyone with a BTR7 can confirm? @FiiO

So what I do is keeping charge ON either from Fiio control app or through the controls. That way it can be used as a desktop DAC Amp and consuming the battery of the source (PC, laptop) and charge itself. I hope it helps,👍

Oct 9, 2022 at 3:20 AM Post #872 of 2,103
At the risk of being pitch forked to death by other Head-Fi members I can hear a slight difference in detail between FLAC and 320kbps MP3, even then only on some tracks and only if I were to do an A to B comparison, during a volume matched blind test I would struggle to hear a difference. To be perfectly honest I can hear more of a difference between IEM cables than I can between FLAC and 320kbps MP3 and that's coming from someone that was once very sceptical about cables 🙂

To answer your question @Deathman666 yes you will hear a more 3D if you like sound presentation with the BTR7, you don't need full size headphones to enjoy the sound of THX AAA-28 amps.

Last edited:
Oct 9, 2022 at 3:32 PM Post #874 of 2,103
PSA: Remember to turn on LDAC if you're using Android with Bluetooth. I didn't know I had to turn it on in my phones Bluetooth settings. (this was on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra)

To turn on LDAC -
  1. Go to Bluetooth settings
  2. Click the gear icon next to the BTR7
  3. Enable LDAC

Oct 9, 2022 at 4:42 PM Post #875 of 2,103
That doesn't seem to be the case? so does this mean it can't be used as a Desktop DAC/AMP / USB Powered? anyone with a BTR7 can confirm? @FiiO
PSA: Remember to turn on LDAC if you're using Android with Bluetooth. I didn't know I had to turn it on in my phones Bluetooth settings. (this was on my Samsung Galaxy S22 Ultra)

To turn on LDAC -
  1. Go to Bluetooth settings
  2. Click the gear icon next to the BTR7
  3. Enable LDAC
You may also need to go to Developer Options in settings and set LDAC quality level.

Oct 9, 2022 at 10:01 PM Post #876 of 2,103
I have owned BTR3K and BTR5 (pre 2021) and there is a significant difference in sound quality between BTR3K and BTR5. However the BTR7 is superior to both largely due to the THX AAA-28 amps. As far as using MP3 320kbps goes really there is not a huge difference between that and a FLAC file in terms of sound quality at least not to my ears.
I very much agree with the sound quality of the BTR7. It’s excellent, has good dynamics, clarity and soundstage for a $200 portable thingie. I also agree with MP3’s being almost indistinguishable from FLAC.
Regarding my revision to the BTR7 There are only a few tracks that I have where I was able to notice the difference between FLAC and MP3, but still it would be nice to offload a lot of the storage to a music device. Apple storage is always at an unjustifiable premium.

Oct 9, 2022 at 11:57 PM Post #877 of 2,103
The only thing that I think would make this the perfect device, is an SD card slot so you can use an app to play lossless on the device itself, like a poly/mojo combo, and run streaming and YouTube audio wirelessly from your phone.
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but wouldn’t that change the BTR7 from a USB-C & Bluetooth DAC/Amp into a DAP? But maybe that was the point you were making :)

Oct 10, 2022 at 5:56 AM Post #878 of 2,103
My video review. I'm quite impressed.

Oct 10, 2022 at 7:22 AM Post #879 of 2,103
My video review. I'm quite impressed.

LOL! Very nice review avoiding many audio rabbit holes like filters!

I tried hard to hear the difference between different colored filters on Qutest, using A90 and different headphones. Could not convincingly find the sonic difference. May be I need ultra high end gears and/or ultra sensitive ears to be able to hear difference between those different color filters! Seemed like another expensive rabbit hole path.. so gave up!

Oct 10, 2022 at 9:36 AM Post #880 of 2,103
Dear friends,

Thanks for the interested in our BTR7! Now more and more users are joing the BTR7 group. In order to meet the needs of multiple usage, we are developing a leather case with a magnet and a lanyard hole. The leather case will come with a lanyard and a magnetic disc for sticking to the mobile phone. However, wireless charging is not supported when BTR7 is wearing this leather case. How do you think about that?

Best regards

1662622987981.png

1662623008569.png
1662623031631.png
1662623047179.png
1662623068910.png
1662623086194.png
1662623104062.png
@FiiO Any updates on this (or other) case for the BTR7?

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:19 AM Post #881 of 2,103
scracy:
Today I compared the BTR5 and my BTR3K. Both connected via LDAC to the Galaxy S21Ultra. I was just shuffling the cable around and I really can't hear any difference at all on the Custom Art Fibae 7 Unlimited IEMs. So for me, it's pointless to buy BTR7. I wouldn't hear the difference. At least I save money and have a much smaller device:)

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:54 AM Post #882 of 2,103
scracy:
Today I compared the BTR5 and my BTR3K. Both connected via LDAC to the Galaxy S21Ultra. I was just shuffling the cable around and I really can't hear any difference at all on the Custom Art Fibae 7 Unlimited IEMs. So for me, it's pointless to buy BTR7. I wouldn't hear the difference. At least I save money and have a much smaller device:)
Often the direct A / B comparison is not decisive in recognizing the superiority of one device over another since the differences are not so striking. I have learned that many times it takes several hours of listening even after a few days before making a real evaluation.

Oct 10, 2022 at 12:13 PM Post #883 of 2,103
Maybe I am misunderstanding what you wrote, but wouldn’t that change the BTR7 from a USB-C & Bluetooth DAC/Amp into a DAP? But maybe that was the point you were making :)
Not necessarily (in my mind) but it depends on how you view a DAP. To my mind, I’m thinking that if you added an SD card reader to it it would be a… wait for it! BT/DAC/amp/dongle/streamer.

The benefits of the current arrangement is that the device has a simple operating system this is not as resource intensive as Android.
It has its own battery so amplification is dedicated to mainly to amplification, DAC and codec loads.
DAPs have to deal with general computing loads like running apps, Google services, internet connectivity & etc.

The way I see it is that phones are much better at general computing and power efficiency for connectivity. Better specs, better efficiency, better radio at a better price.

I’ve gone down the dap route and found it wanting because, for me, it didn’t last. I wasn’t ready to give up on my DX 160, but it’s now buggy and the battery is shot after two years of faithful service. I would like to use it longer, but I feel that the apps’ hardware demands have evolved beyond the specs of the device.
The beauty with the BTR7 and other dac/amps is that you can separate the software demands from the audio components. Adding an SD card just helps people with Apple devices that don’t have removable storage like android devices have.

Maybe another way of looking at the proposal is a DAP with the operating system outsourced to an external device.

As a side note, I do miss the lack of disruptions that I have when using a dap.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:02 PM Post #884 of 2,103
@FiiO We absolutely need a belt clip! Without a belt clip, the BTR7 is useless in the streets. And the belt clip should be able to unclip very quickly in order to answer phone calls. A lanyard can be an option for those who never runs or jogs. Otherwise only a belt clip can save the day. It is desirable that it clips anywhere like to a backpack strap so it's positioned close to ones mouth in order to answer phone calls.

Another critical thing is that the case should be black. No matter what, black is the only color that fits any clothing and style, any situation and gender. If you make a case of different color, you significantly limit the target audience.

Since the BTR7 is a very sharp brick that nearly cuts your skin in the pockets, it should be carried most of the time in a case, so the design of the case is a number one priority... This is another critical mistake made by FiiO. A portable device should never be sharp to the edges because it contacts the skin in ones pockets. Why making such a design if you absolutely have to hide it inside an ugly case?

I don't understand why FiiO's marketers and designers didn't grasp these simple but very important ideas from the get-go? Just add a 4.4mm pentaconn to a BTR5 and we are happy! The BTR5 was almost ideal in terms of design and usability. Why ruining it?

For now I'll stick with the BTR5 regardless of the technical improvements of the new device. The usability in the streets is much more important for this class of portable devices.

Oct 10, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #885 of 2,103
@FiiO We absolutely need a belt clip! Without a belt clip, the BTR7 is useless in the streets. And the belt clip should be able to unclip very quickly in order to answer phone calls. A lanyard can be an option for those who never runs or jogs. Otherwise only a belt clip can save the day. It is desirable that it clips anywhere like to a backpack strap so it's positioned close to ones mouth in order to answer phone calls.

Another critical thing is that the case should be black. No matter what, black is the only color that fits any clothing and style, any situation and gender. If you make a case of different color, you significantly limit the target audience.

Since the BTR7 is a very sharp brick that nearly cuts your skin in the pockets, it should be carried most of the time in a case, so the design of the case is a number one priority... This is another critical mistake made by FiiO. A portable device should never be sharp to the edges because it contacts the skin in ones pockets. Why making such a design if you absolutely have to hide it inside an ugly case?

I don't understand why FiiO's marketers and designers didn't grasp these simple but very important ideas from the get-go? Just add a 4.4mm pentaconn to a BTR5 and we are happy! The BTR5 was almost ideal in terms of design and usability. Why ruining it?

For now I'll stick with the BTR5 regardless of the technical improvements of the new device. The usability in the streets is much more important for this class of portable devices.
No doubt you passionately believe these things and have every right to. For me, and possibly others, the BTR7 fits my use model and I am happy with it so far. Is it perfect? Of course not, and likely what I would call perfect you would not feel is perfect. But for me it is good enough. I have relegated my BTR5 to use while I am working out, and my Qudelix to when I really need PEQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back