[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 25, 2022 at 10:08 PM Post #572 of 2,069
THX Portable Bluetooth DAC/Amp BTR7 Design Story
Chapter 3 Bezel-less IPS Display
If we liken the display screen of the BTR5 to "the finishing touch", then the BTR7's would be like "a marvellous piece of work".
Although this color display is only 1.3 inches, it presents a "full screen" mood with the petite figure of the BTR7. The 240*240 resolution and 260PPI are still very delicate.
Displaying parameters is one aspect, it also depends on the design and application. Technology should put people first. FiiO's interaction designers focused on this point, requiring that the UI should enhance the vitality of the BTR7, and make a more vivid combination with ID. (See the video)
In addition to the improved intuitive experience, the functional interaction experience is more efficient. Users can perform most of the function settings and operations in the local menu instead of relying on the APP interconnection
33.png

Thanks to the dual DSP and dual-core CPU processing capabilities of the Qualcomm QCC5124, the language of the BTR7 can be switched between Chinese and English. So users don't have to worry about the language limits or picking the wrong menu, making it extremely easy to use
3444.png

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 26, 2022 at 5:13 AM Post #573 of 2,069
There seems something really wrong with EQ settings. It seems there is no absolute "EQ off" setting but only a relative "EQ off" setting taken from earlier preset EQ value. E.g. if set from Jazz to EQ off, its takes lesser Jazz kind of signature and if set from Pop to EQ off, it takes lesser Pop kind of signature! Both EQ off differ from each other! Hope FiiO does proper EQ page testing and fixes things. BTR7 seems to take different signatures at different times when fiddled with EQ settings!

Aug 27, 2022 at 2:56 AM Post #576 of 2,069
Yes it does seem to.
BTW, forgot to mention this issue was faced when connected to mobile in Bluetooth mode (LDAC) and tried to set EQ using FiiO control app on Android. The app seems quite buggy.
So dongle UI works fine, only control app has issues? The more detailed the report is, the higher chance for engineers to reproduce and fix it. Ask how I know. :)

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #577 of 2,069
So dongle UI works fine, only control app has issues? The more detailed the report is, the higher chance for engineers to reproduce and fix it. Ask how I know. :)
Yes dongle UI is good but app seems to have issues.
That us why in my reply above I tried to give more details. Just too lazy to.. better stay as consumer than a tester giving detailed env details, version used, steps to reproduce kind of technical and boring details :)

Aug 28, 2022 at 2:48 AM Post #578 of 2,069
Ran another BTR7 vs L&P W2 test over USB with newly acquired ThieAudio Monarch MKII.
Same conclusion as before, with BTR7 everything sounds bigger (is there some DSP trickery going on?), but things get mashed together on busy passages while on W2 it's more detailed with individual instruments standing out more clear with air in between.
As BT dongle BTR7 is outstanding, especially in forced LDAC 990K mode, but for low impedance IEMs in USB L&P W2 still has clear edge over it. Hope one day we'll see BT enabled W2.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:02 AM Post #579 of 2,069
What I love about the BTR7 is how many use cases it can solve for me, do I expect it to be THE best sounding dongle? No. I would like to see though how it does as a dongle for my laptop, running mac os, Audirvana, upsampling everything into DSD? And how that might sound from my i4s... Might be great.

Aug 28, 2022 at 9:56 AM Post #581 of 2,069
I wonder how it compares (in sound) to the similarly priced Hiby R3 Pro. Now there's a device that meets a bunch of use cases and has wifi (Airplay, DLNA and streaming) and local storage and playback, etc.

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2022 at 11:28 AM Post #583 of 2,069
Not really, as shown in real life tests…

I think it's more concerned with the type of measurements you choose .. with 0.1% distortion or 1% distortion. The BTR7 seems to be 320mw with 1% distortion.

Aug 28, 2022 at 11:37 AM Post #584 of 2,069
Anyone compared BTR7 against LGs Quad DAC?
I'm gonna do it. I have a G8X. I should get my BTR7 tommorow or Tuesday. I think the LGs do one chip in 4x parrallel, to get stereo. Thus Quad DAC. So maybe the BTR7 should be considered OCT DAC? With these Sabre32 chips they need the proper implementation to sound best. I think we could see more outta this BTR7 in future firmwares also...

Aug 28, 2022 at 12:28 PM Post #585 of 2,069
I'm gonna do it. I have a G8X. I should get my BTR7 tommorow or Tuesday. I think the LGs do one chip in 4x parrallel, to get stereo. Thus Quad DAC. So maybe the BTR7 should be considered OCT DAC? With these Sabre32 chips they need the proper implementation to sound best. I think we could see more outta this BTR7 in future firmwares also...
Awesome, I've got G8x too, along with G7. Waiting for your impressions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back