[FiiO BTR7] Portable Bluetooth Amplifier, Color IPS display,High-performance DAC ES9219C*2,THX AAA-28*2 amps,3.5+4.4mm outputs,One-click “dongle” mode
Aug 21, 2022 at 2:55 AM Post #526 of 2,069
Just get a small power bank if you really need that extra few hours on-the-go. It is of course a compromise but you don't have to keep them connected all the time. Just charging it an hour or so in between working and you will get the 12 hrs you need.

p/s: also just recalled that BTR7 supports wireless charging as well.

It was just a bad surprise as iFi manage in a much smaller size, to get same output power in balanced mode and give more than double playing time on a single charge...
It's not worth to continue on same subject.

Aug 21, 2022 at 3:28 AM Post #527 of 2,069
It was just a bad surprise as iFi manage in a much smaller size, to get same output power in balanced mode and give more than double playing time on a single charge...
Sure, but Go Blu is also technically a much simpler design that do not offer as much extra features that BTR7 has.

Last edited:
Aug 21, 2022 at 7:54 AM Post #529 of 2,069
Why not just stick with the iFi then? It seems like you really like the product, so if it checks the boxes why even bother with the BTR7? It's not like the battery life will miraculously improve with testing.

Aug 21, 2022 at 12:00 PM Post #530 of 2,069
Just get a small power bank if you really need that extra few hours on-the-go. It is of course a compromise but you don't have to keep them connected all the time. Just charging it an hour or so in between working and you will get the 12 hrs you need.

p/s: also just recalled that BTR7 supports wireless charging as well.
Yes, wireless works splendidly, you can also charge off the phone, really like how FiiO added dedicated physical switch to turn USB charging On/Off.

Aug 22, 2022 at 2:59 PM Post #531 of 2,069
How much bigger is the BTR7 compared to the 5? It looks quite a bit chonkier. It seems the wireless functionality works way better which is great, because the BTR5 does not sound nearly as good on bluetooth as it does wired IMO, but if the 7 is way chunkier than it may not be worth it from a travel perspective.

Aug 22, 2022 at 4:02 PM Post #532 of 2,069
Sure, but Go Blu is also technically a much simpler design that do not offer as much extra features that BTR7 has.

If I may ask, simpler in what way? Do you mean utilities? Just asking out of curiosity :)

iFi audio Stay updated on iFi audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://twitter.com/ifiaudio https://www.instagram.com/ifiaudio/ https://ifi-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@iFiaudiochannel comms@ifi-audio.com
Aug 22, 2022 at 4:58 PM Post #535 of 2,069
If I may ask, simpler in what way? Do you mean utilities? Just asking out of curiosity :)
OLED Screen, PEQ DSP, control app, dual DAC, dual THX amp, wireless charging, UAC 2.0, 24/196 support, MQA (for those who cares) . . .

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2022 at 11:47 PM Post #536 of 2,069
THX Portable Bluetooth DAC/Amp BTR7 Design Story

Chapter 1 Product Positioning of Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifiers-By @FiiO Willson

Some users have asked about the main difference between Bluetooth DAC/Amps, such as the BTR7, and other products. James has explained it in his passage before. Here I would like to make a further explanation.

(1) Bluetooth DAC/Amps, mainly refer to our product line of the uBTR-BTR1-BTR3-BTR5-BTR7. The feature of this product line is that it is small in size (mainly considering the portability). Bluetooth receiving is the main function. Also, they support USB decoding, can be used as a USB dongle, and support phone calls through the microphone.

These products are small, have a built-in battery, and support Bluetooth. It is convenient for users to carry them on the go, and they support in-vehicle mode. The user group is mainly junior audiophiles, who are unsatisfied with the sound quality of ordinary products, like Bluetooth/wired devices, and eager to experience HiFi products.

Their Bluetooth receiving function is outstanding, which supports hi-res Bluetooth codec reception, like the LDAC. Most of our users often use them with earbuds.

The newly-released BTR7 is FiiO's most high-end Bluetooth DAC/Amp at present. In addition to Bluetooth receiving, it also has a 1.3-inch color IPS screen, professional independent three-level audio architecture and THX AAA-28 amps, etc. The Bluetooth DAC/Amp has been redefined- while having a better operating experience, it also has improved power and playability.

(2) In fact, we also have other products that support the Bluetooth decoding function, that is, portable DAC/Amps with Bluetooth.

Portable DAC/Amps mainly refer to our Q series, namely the product line Q1-Q3-Q5-Q7. They have a middle-size body, convenient to carry on the go. Compared to Bluetooth DAC/Amps mentioned above, they have richer functions (for example, the Q5s includes optical/coaxial inputs), higher output power and are more professional.

This kind of product can be bundled in a portable way with mobile phones and some audio players. Some users also use them with computers for decoding.

The main feature is relatively strong decoding ability. Bluetooth receiving and decoding is one of their main functions, whose output power can reach 560mW. They have a wider range of applications, such as using with earbuds and some over-ear headphones.

There is also a similar product, USB audio adapter, also known as USB dongle, which can be regarded as a concise version of Bluetooth DAC/Amp, such as our KA1-KA2-KA3 series. These products have no battery and no Bluetooth, and need to connect to an audio source in a wired manner and require an audio source to supply power. They are mainly used with earbuds.

To sum up:
1. If you want to experience lossless audio and entry-level HiFi audio, you can choose the USB dongle among the KA series;
2. If you want a product that can adapt to a variety of usage scenarios (computer, in-vehicle, mobile phone), and want to experience Bluetooth HiFi, you can choose the BTR series.
3. For audiophiles, or those who are keen on bundling and are not satisfy with either the KA or BTR series, it is suggested to choose a portable DAC/Amp with Bluetooth (such as the Q5s or desktop products like the K9 Pro).

Here is a table that roughly concludes the main features of these different products.

image.jpeg

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Aug 23, 2022 at 1:13 AM Post #537 of 2,069
THX Portable Bluetooth DAC/Amp BTR7 Design Story

Chapter 1 Product Positioning of Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifiers-By @FiiO Willson

Some users have asked about the main difference between Bluetooth DAC/Amps, such as the BTR7, and other products. James has explained it in his passage before. Here I would like to make a further explanation.

(1) Bluetooth DAC/Amps, mainly refer to our product line of the uBTR-BTR1-BTR3-BTR5-BTR7. The feature of this product line is that it is small in size (mainly considering the portability). Bluetooth receiving is the main function. Also, they support USB decoding, can be used as a USB dongle, and support phone calls through the microphone.

These products are small, have a built-in battery, and support Bluetooth. It is convenient for users to carry them on the go, and they support in-vehicle mode. The user group is mainly junior audiophiles, who are unsatisfied with the sound quality of ordinary products, like Bluetooth/wired devices, and eager to experience HiFi products.

Their Bluetooth receiving function is outstanding, which supports hi-res Bluetooth codec reception, like the LDAC. Most of our users often use them with earbuds.

The newly-released BTR7 is FiiO's most high-end Bluetooth DAC/Amp at present. In addition to Bluetooth receiving, it also has a 1.3-inch color IPS screen, professional independent three-level audio architecture and THX AAA-28 amps, etc. The Bluetooth DAC/Amp has been redefined- while having a better operating experience, it also has improved power and playability.

(2) In fact, we also have other products that support the Bluetooth decoding function, that is, portable DAC/Amps with Bluetooth.

Portable DAC/Amps mainly refer to our Q series, namely the product line Q1-Q3-Q5-Q7. They have a middle-size body, convenient to carry on the go. Compared to Bluetooth DAC/Amps mentioned above, they have richer functions (for example, the Q5s includes optical/coaxial inputs), higher output power and are more professional.

This kind of product can be bundled in a portable way with mobile phones and some audio players. Some users also use them with computers for decoding.

The main feature is relatively strong decoding ability. Bluetooth receiving and decoding is one of their main functions, whose output power can reach 560mW. They have a wider range of applications, such as using with earbuds and some over-ear headphones.

There is also a similar product, USB audio adapter, also known as USB dongle, which can be regarded as a concise version of Bluetooth DAC/Amp, such as our KA1-KA2-KA3 series. These products have no battery and no Bluetooth, and need to connect to an audio source in a wired manner and require an audio source to supply power. They are mainly used with earbuds.

To sum up:
1. If you want to experience lossless audio and entry-level HiFi audio, you can choose the USB dongle among the KA series;
2. If you want a product that can adapt to a variety of usage scenarios (computer, in-vehicle, mobile phone), and want to experience Bluetooth HiFi, you can choose the BTR series.
3. For audiophiles, or those who are keen on bundling and are not satisfy with either the KA or BTR series, it is suggested to choose a portable DAC/Amp with Bluetooth (such as the Q5s or desktop products like the K9 Pro).

Here is a table that roughly concludes the main features of these different products.

Just got my BTR7, is there any possible way you guys could add more audio filters to the device? The Minimum Phase Slow Rolloff filter is one of then things that made the original BTR5 my favorite super portable device by far and I think it would be incredible implemented here.

Edit: Also, I've had to upgrade the firmware twice now because the unit forgets that it was upgraded and shows "(null)" as the version.

Edit 2: Does the BTR7 have the dac clock divider at 1, because it sounds like the BTR5 on the 1 setting, which is smoother than 1/4 but lacks fine detail and that extreme instrument separation. Can we get the 1/4 clock setting back?

I'll be honest, this is a frustrating upgrade. The hardware is better but using it is less enjoyable. I don't understand why you guys stripped so many options from the app; if we're your target audience then you should know we want fine control over our audio, not this clunky, neutered mess. The more I use this, the more it feels like a waste of excellent technology and tons of power because of subpar software.

Hopefully you guys return to form with the next iteration or even a firmware upgrade, but you should've taken more time before releasing this device in my opinion.

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 5:07 AM Post #538 of 2,069
This a way I found to get around the battery playing time issue of the BTR7 (Philips 4000mha USB-C) ...
This time, it's still possible to use but becomes even much more bulky and heavy compared to the iFi Go Blu..

I noticed that the BTR7, when playing, is draining so much power that the Philips power bank never goes to a stanby mode even if battery of the BTR7 is fully charged... With the Qudelix and Ifi Go Blu, the power bank goes on standby mode as soon as the dongles are fully charged.

I also noticed the BTR 7 has even less playing time on a full charge, than the brand new Samsung Buds2 pro in 24 bits SSC mode with ANC active.

IMG_7248 copie.jpg

Last edited:
Aug 23, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #539 of 2,069
Just got mine and it is definitely less noisy than the iFi go blu.

For future, what I’d love would be the AutoEQ adjustments available to import for the PEQ, and then be able to tweak after to preference.

As others have said, being able to save a few different ones would help as I have multiple headphones I’d use with it.

Aug 23, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #540 of 2,069
Just got my BTR7, is there any possible way you guys could add more audio filters to the device? The Minimum Phase Slow Rolloff filter is one of then things that made the original BTR5 my favorite super portable device by far and I think it would be incredible implemented here.
The DAC chip inside BTR7 only comes with two selectable filter options (which are all you got in the setting). BTR5's DAC comes with different set of filters option. While it is technically not impossible to add your own digital filters, it involves advanced programming and hardware that only a small handful of manufacturers ever bother to do. In short, it is possible but not practical - hence why those filters option on BTR7 and BTR5 are not something FiiO adds to the system but actually already comes pre-installed by the DAC chip maker.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back