[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 20, 2020 at 1:29 PM Post #1,396 of 3,686
Apr 20, 2020 at 2:43 PM Post #1,397 of 3,686
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:05 PM Post #1,398 of 3,686
This one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0828KB38L/

I also ordered a lightning splitter because I have the iPhone 7 that doesn't have wireless charging. Eventually my battery is dead and I have to stop listening so I can charge my phone. I have no idea if it'll actually work though https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0855RRBVK
Curios about the device with 3.5 balanced out, or do i have mistaken something?
Is there any such a device? Never seen before.

My advice is not to use the mentioned adapter from the amazon link with any 3.5mm output, except the input of a PM-3. :wink:

Last edited:
Apr 20, 2020 at 5:20 PM Post #1,399 of 3,686

My advice is not to use the mentioned adapter from the amazon link with any 3.5mm output, except the input of a PM-3. :wink:
The iFi xDSD has a balanced 3.5mm out. Most are 2.5mm and 4.4mm 5-pole.

Apr 20, 2020 at 7:28 PM Post #1,400 of 3,686
Has anybody tried using this while cycling? Is the BTR5 light enough to clip onto your jersey, using a shorter IEM cable?

Apr 20, 2020 at 8:35 PM Post #1,401 of 3,686
The iFi xDSD has a balanced 3.5mm out. Most are 2.5mm and 4.4mm 5-pole.

Technically xDSD doesn't have a real balanced 3.5mm output. iFi S-balanced is not 'balanced' in the common understanding of the word used in balanced audio. It is really more closer to active ground in implementation.

Has anybody tried using this while cycling? Is the BTR5 light enough to clip onto your jersey, using a shorter IEM cable?

If you clip it on the jersey's collar, then it should be fine. Otherwise one of these might help:

For those of you who use BT headphone adapter, here is one accessory that I strongly recommend - it is called ReadeREST on Amazon but you can find similar products on Aliexpress if you search "magnetic glasses holder". Instead of clipping your BT adapter on an uncomfortable / awkward position on your shirt, this allows you to place your BT adapter with far less restriction.

51pxdft0RQL._SX355_.jpg

Apr 20, 2020 at 9:42 PM Post #1,402 of 3,686
Technically xDSD doesn't have a real balanced 3.5mm output. iFi S-balanced is not 'balanced' in the common understanding of the word used in balanced audio. It is really more closer to active ground in implementation.

If you clip it on the jersey's collar, then it should be fine. Otherwise one of these might help:

For those of you who use BT headphone adapter, here is one accessory that I strongly recommend - it is called ReadeREST on Amazon but you can find similar products on Aliexpress if you search "magnetic glasses holder". Instead of clipping your BT adapter on an uncomfortable / awkward position on your shirt, this allows you to place your BT adapter with far less restriction.

51pxdft0RQL._SX355_.jpg
So, you would slip the BTR5 through that device, using the BTR5 clip?

Apr 20, 2020 at 10:52 PM Post #1,403 of 3,686
So, you would slip the BTR5 through that device, using the BTR5 clip?

DSC_0005-2.jpg

If it is purely for sport, I reckon BTR3K might be more suitable for you. It is smaller and still sound exceptionally good.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:10 PM Post #1,404 of 3,686
I know the s-balanced claim.
For my understanding, you can't use a balanced cable on this 3.5 output.
It's just the internal connection of the device, right?
Using a 3.5 balanced plug on this output may cause damage?

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:52 PM Post #1,405 of 3,686

Actually, plugging in a balanced 3.5mm cable / headphone into a single-ended 3.5mm output is fine. You won't damage anything (read more here). The worst case is the one side won't have sound (usually the right side) because the pin inside the 3.5mm socket isn't able to make full contact with the plug. There are rare cases that sometime some balanced 3.5mm headphone will work on single-ended 3.5mm socket without any adapter, though it isn't likely going to happen on BTR5. Your best bet is to use an adapter or change the cable.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,406 of 3,686
Hmmm. Not sure what you mean. I have an xDSD and use 2.5mm balanced cables with a 2.5mm balanced to 3.5mm balanced adapter to connect to the xDSD. Absolutely ludicrous design decision on the part of iFi, though.

Apr 21, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #1,408 of 3,686
Nice 8 core adapter. I hope it works like a charm!
Oh it's awesome - listening to it right now. However, I came to the conclusion that I'd like one with a right angle even better. Picture holding an iPhone 7 and the xDSD together in front of you - the adapter points straight up. I think it would be super cool to have a right angle one for just ergonomics (for lack of a better word...)

I asked the seller and they said they do sell one however it's on back order. I'm going to buy it as soon as it's in stock so I'll let you guys know: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0827VJYZK

My lightning splitter was less successful. The one that I posted the link for seems to only handle power and not data. I tried connecting my Apple OTG cable (lighting to female USB) to one of the ports and it "didn't do nuthin'"

This puppy is on the way so hopefully it works: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07XXZJ73P/

In any case, I'll probably grab the new 5g iPhone when it comes out so then I'd have a wireless charging option

Apr 21, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,409 of 3,686
Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the phone call handling feature and limit BTR5 to audio playback? I’ve had a number of phone calls switch to Bluetooth during a conversation and it’s really the only thing I dislike about this setup.

Apr 21, 2020 at 8:15 PM Post #1,410 of 3,686
Does anyone know if there’s a way to disable the phone call handling feature and limit BTR5 to audio playback? I’ve had a number of phone calls switch to Bluetooth during a conversation and it’s really the only thing I dislike about this setup.
If you're on Android, you should be able to specify call and/or music in the BT menu screen for the BTR5 device.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back