[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:37 PM Post #1,412 of 3,686
Apr 21, 2020 at 8:39 PM Post #1,413 of 3,686
Apr 22, 2020 at 4:04 AM Post #1,415 of 3,686
Anyone tried BTR5 with Senn IE800? :) :)
Just received my BTR5, good first impression with Sony MDR-EX650 and Fiio FH1. However less so with the IE800 which I find a bit dark sounding fed by the BTR5. But also on other amps the IE800 is not my first choice nowadays.
Are you listening connected to the BTR5 2.5mm or 3.5mm output? The limiting factor for driving power hungry headphones is the power output of the BTR5 on 3.5mm vs the 2.5mm. I found moving to the 2.5mm output on the BTR5 makes a bigger difference for power hungry devices.

If you get a balanced 2.5mm replacement cable to switch to the BTR5 2.5mm balanced output you might also see better results.

Today I've been testing a SendyAudio Aiva that comes stock with a balanced 4.4mm cable + a 3.5mm unbalanced adapter. The Aiva's sound "good" with the BTR5 3.5mm output, but I'm looking for a 4.4mm balanced to 2.5mm balanced adapter to switch to the BTR5 2.5mm output, I'm hoping the higher power 2.5mm output of the BTR5 opens up the Aiva's.

BTW, I didn't order the Aiva's with a 4.4mm balanced cable specifically for the BTR5, I ordered the Aiva's in anticipation of receiving the M15 I ordered - hopefully the new post Covid-19 batch of M15's are shipping this week.

I'll report back when I've A/B'd the Aiva's between the BTR5 2.5mm and 3.5mm outputs.

Update: Normally I listen to my headphones with the BTR5 volume set around 22-24, but with the Aiva's I was listening at 32-34 when I reported the BTR5 made them sound "good". Well, cranking the BTR5 volume up to 42-45 really made the Aiva's sing... cranking it up further at 52-56 the Aiva's are sucking the "soul" out of the BTR5 - and my ears. The Sendy Aiva and BTR5 really sound great together. I sure hope the M15 sounds as good...

I'm back down to 32-35 while listening to Amazon Music Standard / HD / Ultra HD, Tidal Master's are next. :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 5:12 AM Post #1,416 of 3,686
2.5mm balanced male -> 3.5 balanced female adapter That is a way to BURN device
2.5mm balanced female -> 3.5 balanced male adapter That is proper way to use balanced headphone on unbalanced devices
2.5mm balanced male -> 3.5 balanced female adapter That is a way to BURN device
2.5mm balanced female -> 3.5 balanced male adapter That is proper way to use balanced headphone on unbalanced devices

If i buy hidizs sonata ii hd and my iem's are 2.5 mm it's ok to use an 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor ?

Apr 22, 2020 at 5:13 AM Post #1,417 of 3,686
@FiiO - I've "fixed" my original BTR5 "problem" and it's working great again on BT and USB. Long story short, the "problem" was a Gulkit BT device that I didn't realize was getting power while the Nintendo Switch was powered off - the Switch Dock still has power! So silly. That darned Gulkit BT transmitter connects so fast - locking out any other BT device connections on my BTR5.

Oddly no amount of "resetting" the BTR5 "pairings" cleared that Gulkit device "pairing", as the BTR3k which was never paired with that Nintendo BT device ever had trouble with it.

Perhaps the BTR5 needs a firmware update to be able to *really* clear BT pairings? I tried holding both Volume Up / Down at the same time and it did reset and power down the BTR5, but the BTR5 when powered up was still connecting to the "hidden" Nintendo BT device even after clearing the BTR5 pairings many times.

Maybe the BTR5 even when cleared of all pairings can still be forced to take a connection for an "unknown" device that was paired with the BTR5 before? I didn't look into clearing the Gulkit pairings yet...

It was really frustrating thinking I'd cleared the BTR5 pairings only to have the BTR5 still locked into a BT connection with that "hidden" device :)

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 7:57 AM Post #1,419 of 3,686
If i buy hidizs sonata ii hd and my iem's are 2.5 mm it's ok to use an 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor ?
Yes it is OK to convert balanced headphones to unbalanced device .
It is not advised to convert balanced device to unbalanced headphones (it might work, but is risky and gives no gain vs unbalanced output)
The benefit to converting IEM's that come with 3.5mm unbalanced cabling to 2.5mm balanced cables are audible, especially with the BTR5 that has higher power out of it's balanced 2.5mm output.

Converting the other way around, from balanced 2.5mm / 4.4mm to 3.5mm unbalanced is more a practical convenience when your device doesn't have a 2.5mm or 4.4mm output handy. There's no expected audible benefit in the conversion.

Unfortunately there's no easy way to convert headphones wired for unbalanced output to balanced, you need headphones / IEM's that have independent wiring to each earpiece to connect a balanced cable.

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 7:02 PM Post #1,420 of 3,686
I’d check out Zynsonix dude. Bryan from there made me a balanced cable to go from my Audeze LCD-2’s to my HiBy R6 Pro. It’s beautiful and the sound is amazing. They could prob make you what you want
Connected to my surface pro, the range of the BTR5 is even worst on aptx compared to connection with my V30 on Ldac.
When a second device is connected to my surface, my logitech MX Master for example, the music starts to interrupt from time to time.

Seems that the bluetooth device in my surface pro is the weak point here.
Never encountered such flaws with the BTR5 connected to my V30.
Thank you both very much for the recommendations and please excuse the late reply, I do really appreciate the help!
I will let you know what I settled with once I found something that fits my budget! :thumbsup:

Have a nice weekend!

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2020 at 10:03 PM Post #1,421 of 3,686
Finally nabbed one of these while it's in stock at B&H! I feel like I've been waiting months for this thing. (Yes, yes, I know I could've gotten it sooner and cheaper from another source, but it's a store I like.)

...This question has probably been asked 15,425 times in this thread already, but... any recs for a decent 2.5mm MMCX cable, ~$75? I'm not a big believer in cables changing sound, but if I were pressed I'd want neutral to slightly bright. I'm more concerned with build quality and pliability. FiiO cable? But which? Anyway, so I don't look like a complete jerk, I'll scan the thread for ideas.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:35 AM Post #1,423 of 3,686
I have my one for a month now and it is still crystal clear. You don't know what type of plastic it is made of. It's not one of those cheap rubber/silicon phone cases that turns yellow after couple of weeks. I have both Btr3 and Btr5, and design of Btr5 is excellent. The good thing about removable clip is that if you brake it, you can just get replacement without sending the whole unit for repair.
I am thinking of upgrading to the 5 from the 3; Can you talk a little about the sonic diffrences? Thanks.

Apr 23, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,424 of 3,686
Apr 23, 2020 at 10:44 AM Post #1,425 of 3,686
Maybe the Btr5 doesn't handle this extremly low impedance ciems ( 3 ohm ) very well.
Too much current needed?
Sadly i'm not able to reproduce your behavoir bc i don't have such low imp earphones.

Is this happen with usb connection to the Btr5 too?
Is it on SE or balanced?
I'm using my btr3 with my custom Valkyries and they sound fine, if it helps...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back