[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 18, 2020 at 6:54 PM Post #1,381 of 3,639
Hi. I'm considering BTR5 as my "ultimate solution" for portable/mobile DAC because its support as an USB DAC. Have a few questions though (I tried searching through this thread but had no luck)

1. When connected to a phone in USB DAC mode. Will BTR5 use the phone power or its own battery? I think it charges off computer power when connected to a computer.

2. The only way to connect to an iPhone in USB DAC mode is via a Lightning -> USB Camera Adapter right?
In the fiio app, you can turn off charging. iPhone reads the BTR5 as requiring too much power for use as a USB DAC, even when you turn off charging first. That has been my experience, anyway

Apr 19, 2020 at 2:27 PM Post #1,384 of 3,639
Do you mean that it doesn't even work with iOS using Camera Kit + Charging off?
To this day, I haven't been able to get it to work, but perhaps someone else has.

Apr 19, 2020 at 3:04 PM Post #1,386 of 3,639
To this day, I haven't been able to get it to work, but perhaps someone else has.

Thanks for your help!

So as I understand well, you cannot connect an iphone using BT for the connection between the iphone and the btr5?
I want to keep the btr5 in my pocket as I use the iphone. No wires on my phone please.

You can still connect to BTR5 from an iPhone via Bluetooth normally. My post was about wired connection from iPhone - which maybe seems impossible (or at least not consistently work) at the moment.

Apr 20, 2020 at 11:31 AM Post #1,390 of 3,639
Hi. I'm considering BTR5 as my "ultimate solution" for portable/mobile DAC because its support as an USB DAC. Have a few questions though (I tried searching through this thread but had no luck)

1. When connected to a phone in USB DAC mode. Will BTR5 use the phone power or its own battery? I think it charges off computer power when connected to a computer.

2. The only way to connect to an iPhone in USB DAC mode is via a Lightning -> USB Camera Adapter right?
Hey,

I too have an iPhone (7) and I just didn't have a great way to listen to music using it, aside from bluetooth or my Dragonfly Red.

This weekend I picked up the iFi xDSD... I absolutely love this device. I’m listening to Tidal Masters and DSD’s on my JH Lola IEM’s and the sound is unbelievable. I’m using a 2.5mm balanced male -> 3.5 balanced female adapter, which made a pretty dramatic difference versus an unbalanced.

I had hesitated a little because the thing looks much bigger in pictures. It’s actually quite tiny in my hand - the hand model must be a munchkin. Beautiful construction and intuitive controls. Love when the purple light tells me I’m listening to an MQA. It also plays DSD which is just awesome.

Plenty of power on the IEM’s. Will test with my Audeze LCD-2’s as soon as my 4.4mm balanced female -> 3.5 balanced male adapter arrives

Haven’t tested the Bluetooth yet...

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:09 PM Post #1,391 of 3,639
Hey,

I too have an iPhone (7) and I just didn't have a great way to listen to music using it, aside from bluetooth or my Dragonfly Red.

This weekend I picked up the iFi xDSD... I absolutely love this device. I’m listening to Tidal Masters and DSD’s on my JH Lola IEM’s and the sound is unbelievable. I’m using a 2.5mm balanced male -> 3.5 balanced female adapter, which made a pretty dramatic difference versus an unbalanced.

I had hesitated a little because the thing looks much bigger in pictures. It’s actually quite tiny in my hand - the hand model must be a munchkin. Beautiful construction and intuitive controls. Love when the purple light tells me I’m listening to an MQA. It also plays DSD which is just awesome.

Plenty of power on the IEM’s. Will test with my Audeze LCD-2’s as soon as my 4.4mm balanced female -> 3.5 balanced male adapter arrives

Which specific adapter did you end up using?

Apr 20, 2020 at 12:15 PM Post #1,392 of 3,639
2.5mm balanced male -> 3.5 balanced female adapter That is a way to BURN device
2.5mm balanced female -> 3.5 balanced male adapter That is proper way to use balanced headphone on unbalanced devices

Apr 20, 2020 at 1:13 PM Post #1,393 of 3,639
Hey,

Good for you. So why are you posting on the BTR5 thread?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back