[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Dec 22, 2019 at 1:02 AM Post #331 of 3,639
Is there anybody that may compare FiiO BTR5 vs. Dragonfly Cobalt sound quality? I understand there’s a few differences in their form-factor but SQ-wise would be more interesting. (Apparently to ditch my DFC as i’m leaning more on BTR5 despite it’s battery-life)

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:25 AM Post #335 of 3,639
Is there anybody that may compare FiiO BTR5 vs. Dragonfly Cobalt sound quality? I understand there’s a few differences in their form-factor but SQ-wise would be more interesting. (Apparently to ditch my DFC as i’m leaning more on BTR5 despite it’s battery-life)

Not directly, but I compared the two and I say the Cobalt is exceptional and a bit better sounding then the BTR5, but considering that the BTR5 is a wireless music player I can say it is a sensational device!
You can find here my Fiio BTR5 review in Hungarian (Use Google Translate).
I compared the BTR5 with my home headphones system (Bluesound Node2 + Feliks Echo tube amp), also with Hiby W5 and Ibasso DC01 symmetrical audio adapter and should say considering the price/performance ratio the BTR5 is the best mobile music player of 2019!

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:31 AM Post #336 of 3,639
Install drivers for FIIO BTR5 and ASIO is made available. Than use media app of your choice that supports ASIO.

So any usb-bluetooth dongle can send low latency? But the sound has got to be in ASIO?
Do games support that sound format?

Is there also a transmitter that can send an analog signal via bluetooth in LL-mode to the BTR5? And how do i check if its actually LL?

Dec 22, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #337 of 3,639
So any usb-bluetooth dongle can send low latency? But the sound has got to be in ASIO?
Do games support that sound format?

Is there also a transmitter that can send an analog signal via bluetooth in LL-mode to the BTR5? And how do i check if its actually LL?
instead of using BT on the pc, why not just use it as a uab dac amp? that would eliminate delay issues

Dec 22, 2019 at 11:12 AM Post #339 of 3,639
Not directly, but I compared the two and I say the Cobalt is exceptional and a bit better sounding then the BTR5, but considering that the BTR5 is a wireless music player I can say it is a sensational device!
You can find here my Fiio BTR5 review in Hungarian (Use Google Translate).
I compared the BTR5 with my home headphones system (Bluesound Node2 + Feliks Echo tube amp), also with Hiby W5 and Ibasso DC01 symmetrical audio adapter and should say considering the price/performance ratio the BTR5 is the best mobile music player of 2019!
Thanks! For the brief reply. Yeah, anyway, I will only 100% mainly using them for IEM. DFC probably for the uses of more than IEM I guess. Maybe BTR5 is efficiently perfect for IEM.

Now am just curious if the sounds are significantly better when in USB-dac mode (on iPhone) vs. Bluetooth (LDAC in Android).
Anyway, now i’m waiting for the shipping and will decide if they’re worth switching from DFC, entirely. Excited for this more than Christmas this year :p

Dec 22, 2019 at 1:48 PM Post #340 of 3,639
Yes, check out Avantree Oasis plus. Has digital and analog inputs and you can switch codecs and see whats being used.

Also Sennheiser BT T100 should be able to do this.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 3:15 PM Post #341 of 3,639
My micro usb to usbc cable adapter finally arrived and I have managed to test out connecting the BTR5 via USB to the LGV30. I was curious to see if I could experience improvements over LGV30 SO audio using the BTR5’s balance out.

After some messing around with the UAPP settings and changing the Charge mode to Off on the BTR5 I got it working.
All 16/24bit lossless tracks played fine upto 96khz. Going above that was a hit and a miss depending on the tracks. For instance Michael Jackson’s Thriller DSD64 played mostly fine but Beat It track in particular struggled with glitches. Marvin Gayes 24/192 Lets get it it on also showed signs of lesser glitching. I tried increasing the buffer size and and playing with other UAPP USB Tweak settings without much luck.

Seems the issue is related to bandwidth when playing high sample tracks. Not sure if it can be resolved by @FiiO FW update or by UAPP author.

Or Is it possible that the cable I’m using is creating this issue ?
I’m using a standard USBC to micro USB cable with a micro usb to USBC adapter attached to it.
I didn’t want to buy another expensive cable until I had tested it working.

If the issue with playing very high bandwidth tracks can be resolved than i would be happy to use the BTR5 over LG DAC. Their is definitely an improvement in the audio using the BTR5 Balance out - bigger soundstage, increases clarity and greater sense of 3D like stereo.

332F5776-C32C-4C96-8BA1-4445D6F889EC.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2019 at 5:15 PM Post #343 of 3,639
Thanks! For the brief reply. Yeah, anyway, I will only 100% mainly using them for IEM. DFC probably for the uses of more than IEM I guess. Maybe BTR5 is efficiently perfect for IEM.

Now am just curious if the sounds are significantly better when in USB-dac mode (on iPhone) vs. Bluetooth (LDAC in Android).
Anyway, now i’m waiting for the shipping and will decide if they’re worth switching from DFC, entirely. Excited for this more than Christmas this year :p

Interesting, but the sound is just a bit better in USB mode vs. in Bluetooth mode, so no significant difference.

Dec 22, 2019 at 5:57 PM Post #344 of 3,639

I have both.

Use my BTR5 while out and abount mobile but indoors use the DFC. On pure sound quality the DFC still has the edge but not massively so.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back