[FiiO BTR3K] Balanced High-Fidelity Bluetooth Amp(Questionnaire About Upgrading the BTR3K updated in 2023-6-14)
May 27, 2020 at 6:03 AM Post #136 of 403
Got my BTR3K yesterday and it's Bluetooth connection seems very weak. Is anyone else experiencing this?
While I have it clipped to my shirt front if I pass my hand in front of it I lose the sound. If I leave my hand in front of it, not touching it, it loses the connection entirely.

May 27, 2020 at 6:11 AM Post #137 of 403
FiiO releases the new firmware 1.2 for BTR3K:

Updated at 2020-05-27
The following changes and improvements have been made in the new firmware:

1. Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name). The same function will be available later in FiiO Music App.
2. Changed the sound prompt to differentiate power on and power off.
3. Fixed the issue where the device failed to enter playing state when connected to computers/adapters through HFP, and thus led to unsuccessful audio output after entering standby mode.
4. Fixed the issue where voices could not be heard under phone calls when there was another call.
5. Fixed the issue where the EQ was invalid after certain operations under the USB DAC mode.
6. Fixed the issue where the device would fail to turn on automatically when connected to a USB device in In-vehicle mode after it was turned off for a while.
7. Fixed the issue where the indicator light was still on after setting it to off when the device was charged.
8. Fixed the issue where certain devices would give an alert of excessive power consumption through USB DAC connection.
9. Fixed the issue where the device would automatically turn off after 3 minutes if connected to a USB DAC when pairing records were cleared and the Bluetooth was not connected.
10. Improved USB DAC status indication.
11. Improved the idle standby time counting after disconnecting and
reconnecting through the USB port.
12. Improved the response time of powering on/off, switching songs and declining phone calls.
13. Miscellaneous volume issues fixes.
Notes: it would be impossible to restore to the factory firmware version once upgrading to the latest one. Please consider it carefully before upgrading.

BTR3K firmware FW1.2: Click here

How to update the BTR3K:
Click here

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
May 27, 2020 at 7:54 AM Post #138 of 403

Updated at 2020-05-27
Great to see FiiO improving this great little device!
I made the update but the sound was very different and wrong, so I looked at EQ in Control app and my custom values shifted.
I have reset the EQ, set it again and now it's fine.
One small request: Implement a bass boost switch in the app :)

May 27, 2020 at 10:49 AM Post #141 of 403
Got my BTR3K yesterday and it's Bluetooth connection seems very weak. Is anyone else experiencing this?
While I have it clipped to my shirt front if I pass my hand in front of it I lose the sound. If I leave my hand in front of it, not touching it, it loses the connection entirely.
Just tried putting both my hands around it and it still works. Actually it has really good range. I'm using aptxHD so maybe try that?

May 27, 2020 at 11:32 AM Post #143 of 403
BTW, what is the reason you buy a BTR3K instead of a BTR5?

1. Cost half of a BTR5 and the SQ different is about just 20% (very subjective verdict!)
2. Can be used for sport activities much easier than a BTR5 (large and heavy for that)
3. Symmetric amplification with highly musical sound in such a small device for just 65 € is unbelievable!

May 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Post #145 of 403
Actually my BTR3k has better range than my BTR5, and both have connectivity throughout the house except in the furthest location, and if I do put my hand over the BTR's when at that location or turn so my body blocks the signal path - I get between the BTR's and the signal source - then it will cut out.

How far away from the signal source are you when you are able to block the signal? If you put your phone in your pocket or briefcase try moving the phone to the side your BTR3k is clipped to - either move the BTR3k clipped location or move the phone to a different pocket or carry it in your hand. Reduce the distance between the source and your BTR3k and reduce the signal absorbing obstacles in the BT signal path.

I've found the BT source signal to be the factor which determines the distance the BTR's can receive the BT signal. Try turning off power saving for the BT device in the phone / tablet / PC. If you have any power saving options for BT in your BT source disable them.

If you are using Android LDAC and in the Android "Developer options" you have set "Bluetooth Audio LDAC Codec: Playback Quality" to "Optimized for Audio Quality 990kbps/909kbps" that data rate is problematic for most sources / receivers - you won't get solid connectivity for most devices - instead for best balance of stability and quality possible for your devices and conditions set the option to "Best Effort (Adaptive Bit Rate)".

Look for ways to improve your BT source's signal strength, place the device higher and with fewer BT signal absorbing obstacles in the path between the source and your BTR3k :)

Last edited:
May 27, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #146 of 403

Updated at 2020-05-27

1. Added a new function of renaming the Bluetooth device (FiiO Control App->Setting menu->Custom device name). The same function will be available later in FiiO Music App.
Thank you for the renaming feature! There are a number of Bluetooth devices I have more than one of, and I wish they all had this.

May 29, 2020 at 8:29 PM Post #147 of 403

Updated at 2020-05-27

2. Changed the sound prompt to differentiate power on and power off.
3. Fixed the issue where the device failed to enter playing state when connected to computers/adapters through HFP, and thus led to unsuccessful audio output after entering standby mode.
4. Fixed the issue where voices could not be heard under phone calls when there was another call.
5. Fixed the issue where the EQ was invalid after certain operations under the USB DAC mode.
6. Fixed the issue where the device would fail to turn on automatically when connected to a USB device in In-vehicle mode after it was turned off for a while.
7. Fixed the issue where the indicator light was still on after setting it to off when the device was charged.
8. Fixed the issue where certain devices would give an alert of excessive power consumption through USB DAC connection.
9. Fixed the issue where the device would automatically turn off after 3 minutes if connected to a USB DAC when pairing records were cleared and the Bluetooth was not connected.
10. Improved USB DAC status indication.
11. Improved the idle standby time counting after disconnecting and
reconnecting through the USB port.
12. Improved the response time of powering on/off, switching songs and declining phone calls.
13. Miscellaneous volume issues fixes.
Notes: it would be impossible to restore to the factory firmware version once upgrading to the latest one. Please consider it carefully before upgrading.

BTR3K firmware FW1.2: Click here

How to update the BTR3K:
Click here

I followed the steps to upgrade the firmware of the FiiO BTR3K and it didn't work. Always make an error before starting the installation. An installer warning appears saying you cannot proceed.

Jun 2, 2020 at 9:48 PM Post #149 of 403
Hey guys,

Am I crazy? I just received my BTR3k which I was SO excited to get after reading about it, and to tell the truth, I'm really disappointed with the sound quality of this thing. I feel like the SQ plugged directly into my phone is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Better sound stage, and just richer and more detailed across the board. Kick drums especially have nowhere near the same tight impact when I'm listening through the BTR3k as through do when plugged in direct :frowning2: This is my first venture into the BT world, so maybe I misunderstood what I'd read on here and it really is impossible to get better SQ from a phone via BT, but I thought that that was what the BTR3k was for. Really the only "improvement" soundwise is that the BTR3k gives me quite a bit more bass. But even that is sort of a blessing in disguise as it comes at the expense of overall clarity, and like I said, there may be MORE bass, but it doesn't sound nearly like the QUALITY of bass I get straight out of my phone. It's sluggish and bloated to my ears.

Wired into my computer, I am maybe even more disappointed. I feel like my DragonFly Red runs absolute circles around the BTR3k. It is more expensive, but I'd heard that the BTR was as good or better. To me, after admittedly not too much listening, it loses to the DFR in soundstage, detail, treble, and basically everything besides sheer quantity of bass. Everything sounds muddy and squashed together with the BTR3k, and when I A/B it with the DRF, suddenly the whole song opens up. I remember when I first got the DFR--my first and only DAC until now--and immediately I noticed a huge improvement in SQ. It was like night and day from straight into my computer. But honestly, I can't even tell if my headphones (FLC8s if you're curious) sound better through the BTR3k or if they're actually better just plugged direct into my computer. What the heck???

Does anyone else feel this way? Did I just have too high expectations for BT audio? Am I doing something wrong? Could my BTR3k be defective?

I'm really really bummed that this cool looking gadget feels pretty useless. I was so excited for it. While it's been nice not being connected to my phone, as of now I'd take the better SQ any day over that slight convenience.

Jun 2, 2020 at 10:18 PM Post #150 of 403
Hey guys,

Am I crazy? I just received my BTR3k which I was SO excited to get after reading about it, and to tell the truth, I'm really disappointed with the sound quality of this thing. I feel like the SQ plugged directly into my phone is SIGNIFICANTLY better. Better sound stage, and just richer and more detailed across the board. Kick drums especially have nowhere near the same tight impact when I'm listening through the BTR3k as through do when plugged in direct :frowning2: This is my first venture into the BT world, so maybe I misunderstood what I'd read on here and it really is impossible to get better SQ from a phone via BT, but I thought that that was what the BTR3k was for. Really the only "improvement" soundwise is that the BTR3k gives me quite a bit more bass. But even that is sort of a blessing in disguise as it comes at the expense of overall clarity, and like I said, there may be MORE bass, but it doesn't sound nearly like the QUALITY of bass I get straight out of my phone. It's sluggish and bloated to my ears.

Wired into my computer, I am maybe even more disappointed. I feel like my DragonFly Red runs absolute circles around the BTR3k. It is more expensive, but I'd heard that the BTR was as good or better. To me, after admittedly not too much listening, it loses to the DFR in soundstage, detail, treble, and basically everything besides sheer quantity of bass. Everything sounds muddy and squashed together with the BTR3k, and when I A/B it with the DRF, suddenly the whole song opens up. I remember when I first got the DFR--my first and only DAC until now--and immediately I noticed a huge improvement in SQ. It was like night and day from straight into my computer. But honestly, I can't even tell if my headphones (FLC8s if you're curious) sound better through the BTR3k or if they're actually better just plugged direct into my computer. What the heck???

Does anyone else feel this way? Did I just have too high expectations for BT audio? Am I doing something wrong? Could my BTR3k be defective?

I'm really really bummed that this cool looking gadget feels pretty useless. I was so excited for it. While it's been nice not being connected to my phone, as of now I'd take the better SQ any day over that slight convenience.

I completely agree. I haven't really tested my BTR3k vs my Galaxy S10. But definitely I feel that with my BTR3k vs my RadSone ES100, my ES100 wins hands down on SQ, especially when I start to increase the volume.

Not to mention the BTR3k call volume disappears when using apps like Microsoft Teams on my S10 (forcing me to reboot the BTR3k). The ES100 has no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back