FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:21 AM Post #91 of 1,870
Again, you not even reading my answer. It has nothing to do with balanced or not. SE846 doesn't need more voltage. It needs current. And a lot of it. Even ES100 is below specs. BTR3 is twice lower maximum current ability. Because it has only ONE amp.

P.S. Just if you don't know - ES100 works in dual mono and in tandem mode. So balanced or unbalanced - it can use both amps at the same time.

I'm no expert on this stuff, so are you saying the BTR3 won't drive the SE846's to loud volume or that the audio quality will be poor with artefacts/noise etc ?

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:22 AM Post #92 of 1,870
I'm no expert on this stuff, so are you saying the BTR3 won't drive the SE846's to loud volume or that the audio quality will be poor with artefacts/noise etc ?
It will be bad quality with a medium volume of SE846, because it will be overdriving amp with the too high current.

And it will be not enough volume on anything >100Ohm (like your HD660S) where you win with ES100 higher voltage on a balanced connection.

P.S. It doesn't mean it will not sound as good as ES100 with medium impedance high sensitivity headphones. I just don't know that - no tests posted, no finished device specs available. So time will tell.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:27 AM Post #93 of 1,870
Again, you not even reading my answer. It has nothing to do with balanced or not. SE846 doesn't need more voltage. It needs current. And a lot of it. Even ES100 is below specs. BTR3 is twice lower maximum current ability. Because it has only ONE amp.

P.S. Just if you don't know - ES100 works in dual mono and in tandem mode. So balanced or unbalanced - it can use both amps at the same time.
I do understand what you're saying now. It's just that your first post was poorly articulated and I jumped on you immediately. Originally you wrote:
You going to have much worse experience since btr3 is single amp.
So he's not going to have a bad experience, because it's single amp, but because even in dual amp mode it's barely enough. In other words the amp is simply too weak and the problem is not inherited from the fact that the BTR3 is single amp. Very different meaning.

Aug 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #94 of 1,870
And they all lived happily ever after and got many children.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 8:30 AM Post #95 of 1,870
I do understand what you're saying now. It's just that your first post was poorly articulated and I jumped on you immediately. Originally you wrote:
So he's not going to have a bad experience, because it's single amp, but because even in dual amp mode it's barely enough. In other words the amp is simply too weak and the problem is not inherited from the fact that the BTR3 is single amp. Very different meaning.
Yes, ok. My bad. Those both products use an almost same amp. And this amp is not high voltage or high current.
So with both his headphones it will be out of specs (SE846 and HD660s), so 2 amps become significant audible quality (846) and volume (660) improvement.

Last edited:
Aug 14, 2018 at 4:32 PM Post #97 of 1,870
@FiiO USA still no sign of BTR3 on amazon.com.. it was one thing to be waiting for the product to be released, and whole another deal for not being able to purchase.. any ETA when you will be able to sell there?
Same here waiting. Based on their earlier reply (I think on page 2 or 3), Fiio has shipped a few internationally and it takes around 2 wks to be available on Amazon (US). And in another thread they mentioned to check around 20th, so I presume probably it would be available next week (I hope). I'm pretty much checking Amazon and Google shopping multiple times a day for it...

Aug 14, 2018 at 9:58 PM Post #98 of 1,870
BTR3 shouldn't have any problem powering any of these, right?

Headphones: V-Moda M-100 (32ohm), Philips Fidelio X1 (30ohm), Fostex TH-X00 (25ohm), Denon D2000/D5000 (25ohm), Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO (80ohm)
IEMs: Sennheiser IE80 (16ohm), Sony XBA-3 (12ohm)

Aug 15, 2018 at 1:36 AM Post #99 of 1,870
BTR3 shouldn't have any problem powering any of these, right?

Headphones: V-Moda M-100 (32ohm), Philips Fidelio X1 (30ohm), Fostex TH-X00 (25ohm), Denon D2000/D5000 (25ohm), Beyerdynamic DT-770 PRO (80ohm)
IEMs: Sennheiser IE80 (16ohm), Sony XBA-3 (12ohm)
XBA3 is out of specs. IE80 at the limit and since it's an impedance specs at 2kHz often, could be out of spec too - need to check impedance curve on innerfidelity (846 is 9 and goes down to 5). Also need to check sensitivity - low sensitivity and it will either will take too much current or will be not enough volume.

Aug 15, 2018 at 4:47 AM Post #100 of 1,870
Just received it. I like how the edges feels compared to BTR1's sharp edges. I'm using 1+3T O2Beta30 and Adv Sound M4. Bluetooth pairing was normal, and it was automatically paired to LDAC. I could change it manually in Dev Options tho
  1. Independent volume. When paired, BTR3's volume was already max yet I need more volume. So I had to adjust from my phone. Do I need to set the bluetooth volume on my phone to max first?
  2. There was a second audio stop when unlocking or just turn on the screen only while on LDAC.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #101 of 1,870
Always set phone volume at max and regulate device volume only or you're just cutting bits of transmission for nothing and losing resolution.
I hope BTR3 uses op-amp volume adjustment instead of DAC to shift noise floor together with a signal, but they are not talking about it. @FiiO ?

Aug 15, 2018 at 11:05 AM Post #102 of 1,870
@SubMash since you seems to what you are talking about, small clarification. ES100 with dual drive will use both amps only when connected to balanced IEMs, right? for a non balanced (e.g. SE215 in my case) even ES100 will use only one of those amps, hence being equivalent to BTR3?

Aug 15, 2018 at 2:11 PM Post #103 of 1,870
@SubMash since you seems to what you are talking about, small clarification. ES100 with dual drive will use both amps only when connected to balanced IEMs, right? for a non balanced (e.g. SE215 in my case) even ES100 will use only one of those amps, hence being equivalent to BTR3?
No, it uses both in balanced and unbalanced mode. In unbalanced it works in tandem doubling current capacity (higher current always increases noise) and effectively decreasing Output impedance 50%.

Es100 has power saving mode in unbalanced mode to save a bit of power if second amp is not needed.

Aug 15, 2018 at 5:36 PM Post #105 of 1,870
@FiiO Just making sure, this is a BT reciever only, correct? I'd LOVE to see the same but with transmitter capability as well with all the codec options (or better yet, both transmitter and reciever mode). I'd buy one in a heartbeat if it had TX capability!! Maybe a future product?

The use case I'm especially looking for, LDAC BT connectivity for TV and PC!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back