FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Nov 30, 2018 at 9:54 PM Post #737 of 1,870
Mr. FiiO, there is something that you should know about designing an equalizer: A good equalizer must include sliders at 100 Hz, 1000 Hz and 10,000 Hz.

100 Hz is the frequency of punchy bass. For example, to increase the slam of electronic music or any bass notes without affecting the middle frequencies at the same time, that is the best frequency to raise with an equalizer. That is the tightest and punchiest bass frequency.

1000 Hz (1 kHz) is the frequency of voices. If you want to bring vocals forward while keeping the bass and treble sweet (without much middle frequency glare), that is the best frequency to raise with an equalizer.

10,000 Hz (10 kHz) is the frequency of sweet treble. If you want to increase the sweetest treble without increasing treble harshness and high frequency glare, that is the right frequency to raise with an equalizer.

It took me several years doing live sound to get this knowledge about equalization. Many people that design equalization software, don't know this. And when the number of bands is limited, they don't include all 3 of these frequencies.

That is a terrible frequency choice. Punchy bass?? I think not.
~40-65hz is where the deep bass(subwoofer like) is and is what I would hope that FiiO gives options for.

I just bought the BTR3 for use on my Pixel 3 and my VMODA Crossfade Wireless headphones as the BT in them only does SBC.
Not at all happy to discover that the EQ that it is advertised to have is not implemented yet.
I use Poweamp V3 for my music and that has a very very good EQ, however, I wanted the "system wide" EQ that this DAC was supposed to have so that other apps, like a video player, that have no EQ, would sound better. ( I need bass boost fro my music vids)
Poweramp EQ has 34,62,125,250,500.1K,2K,4K,8K,16K frequency adjustments. I can only hope that FiiO implements a EQ with that many adjustments. Mainly have the lower frequency available to give a good subwoofer like bass, or perhaps a dedicated "Bass Boost" option.

Nov 30, 2018 at 10:52 PM Post #738 of 1,870
Agreed. The more bands the better for any EQ adjustments. PowerAmp has a very decent EQ at 10 bands (nothing like my 31 bands/channel graphic and parametric EQ studio racks though). Only 3 bands at those frequencies would not be that useful.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:10 PM Post #739 of 1,870
That is a terrible frequency choice. Punchy bass?? I think not.
~40-65hz is where the deep bass(subwoofer like) is and is what I would hope that FiiO gives options for.

I just bought the BTR3 for use on my Pixel 3 and my VMODA Crossfade Wireless headphones as the BT in them only does SBC.
Not at all happy to discover that the EQ that it is advertised to have is not implemented yet.
I use Poweamp V3 for my music and that has a very very good EQ, however, I wanted the "system wide" EQ that this DAC was supposed to have so that other apps, like a video player, that have no EQ, would sound better. ( I need bass boost fro my music vids)
Poweramp EQ has 34,62,125,250,500.1K,2K,4K,8K,16K frequency adjustments. I can only hope that FiiO implements a EQ with that many adjustments. Mainly have the lower frequency available to give a good subwoofer like bass, or perhaps a dedicated "Bass Boost" option.
There is a difference between punchy bass and deep bass. 100 kHz is the punchy bass frequency. The deep bass frequencies are also important. I didn't mention them because the equalizer software designers usually don't miss them. But, you are right; in some equalizers the lowest frequency is not low enough for my liking.

Regarding the 100, 1000 and 10,000 Hz frequencies, Dr. Chung added a bass and treble boost button to his INDEED G3 amplifiers. He chose 100 Hz for the bass and 10,000 Hz for the treble. Clean, tight bass punch and clean sweet treble is what that pressed button produced. It is a shame that the dB boost at 100 Hz was just too big.

Nov 30, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #740 of 1,870
Agreed. The more bands the better for any EQ adjustments. PowerAmp has a very decent EQ at 10 bands (nothing like my 31 bands/channel graphic and parametric EQ studio racks though). Only 3 bands at those frequencies would not be that useful.
I never intended to suggest Mr. FiiO to give us an equalizer with just 3 bands at the frequencies that I mentioned. I just meant to say that those 3 frequencies must be included in whatever many bands equalizer Mr. FiiO designs for our BTR3s.

Dec 2, 2018 at 1:50 PM Post #743 of 1,870
HD579 + BTR3 :), perfect neutral sound for me.
20181202_193325.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2018 at 12:21 PM Post #746 of 1,870
Joining in. Just got mine last Thursday. So far, I am very happy with the performance. LDAC is very nice. I am also using it as my DAC for my laptop.

Quick feedback on it is that it sounds a lot cleaner than the headphone out of the laptop, with zero hiss in the background and better detail retrieval. I also find it more open, and it is generally brighter than the laptop's headphone out.

Also using this a lot for calls. The microphone is excellent. It actually sounds better for me than the in-line mic of my Focal Spirit One.

I initially bought the BTR3 because of the mic since apparently it has noise cancelling. My laptop's onboars mic is just so bad, it gets all of the noise around the area and it has too much feedback.

Use cases:
  1. Samsung Galaxy A7 (2017) → Bluetooth LDAC → FiiO BTR3 (Bluetooth mode) → Headphones
  2. ASUS ZenBook UX360UA → USB-C → FiiO BTR3 → Headphones
Headphones:
  1. FlipEars Aiden Dual-Driver BA Custom IEMs
  2. Shure SE215
  3. Focal Spirit One
  4. Feels Pro900 with Custom Cable
On a typical work day, I combine both USB-C mode (to connect to the laptop) and Bluetooth LDAC (to connect to my phone). Music is playing from my laptop, but when I get calls on my phone, it mutes the music from the laptop and audio goes to my phone. This is a super convenient feature and it helps me have a synchronized experience between my laptop and my phone.

Attachments

• 20181130_180137.jpg
    20181130_180137.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:21 AM Post #748 of 1,870
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:22 AM Post #749 of 1,870
It defeats the purpose of being a bluetooth wireless dac/amp but hey, it's really a good idea to begin with, cause nothing beats a wired one. It needs to be tested to actually make it work. You probably need a Phone=usb-c to otg adapter(female)(will act like a computer source) BTR3=usb-c to otg adapter(male). Connect them together and see.

Last edited:
Dec 5, 2018 at 4:32 AM Post #750 of 1,870
Just use an USB-C to USB-C cable. It'll work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back