FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Nov 24, 2018 at 9:03 AM Post #721 of 1,870
Recently bought this one and upgraded to v1 at once but when using kz zs10 with full volume on both phone and btr3 is like 10%. Already using HWA on Huawei honor 8x. BT connection is not good as well.

It's only good when using fiio music app with HWA but connection always drop even at close range.

Nov 25, 2018 at 9:33 PM Post #722 of 1,870
Screenshot_20181126-102942.jpg
Recently bought this one and upgraded to v1 at once but when using kz zs10 with full volume on both phone and btr3 is like 10%. Already using HWA on Huawei honor 8x. BT connection is not good as well.

It's only good when using fiio music app with HWA but connection always drop even at close range.

Quick fix, remove fiio music app then BT unpair, reboot phone, after that, BT pair again. Never installed music app.

HWA(LHDC) is kinda far from LDAC in terms of software maturity, IMHO. Setting for optimized audio quality results to stuttering from time to time even at side by side. Suggest to keep at adaptive bit rate. See attached screenshot.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2018 at 9:43 PM Post #723 of 1,870

Quick fix, remove fiio music app then BT unpair, reboot phone, after that, BT pair again. Never installed music app.

HWA is kinda far from LDAC. Setting for optimized audio quality results to stuttering from time to time even at side by side. Suggest to keep at adaptive bit rate. See attached screenshot.

Sorry, but what do you mean by "HWA is kinda far from LDAC"?

Nov 26, 2018 at 1:57 AM Post #725 of 1,870
20181126_144338_DxO.jpg

Fiio BTR3 is turning my GMP 8.35D Mobile to a pair very capable BT headphones. Sound quality (using aptx HD) is similar to my LG V20's built-in Sabre DAC.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 2:36 AM Post #727 of 1,870
How's the instrument separation and soundstage? I got to experience v20 last time and it was superb.

The V20's built in Sabre DAC is a touch more dynamic than the BTR3 aptx HD when playing 320K MP3 from Google Play Music. The V20 has more advantage on seperation and resolution if playing 16bit FLAC. The comparison was done in quiet indoor environment. I bet one would not be able to tell difference in less quiet outdoor environment

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #728 of 1,870
The V20's built in Sabre DAC is a touch more dynamic than the BTR3 aptx HD when playing 320K MP3 from Google Play Music. The V20 has more advantage on seperation and resolution if playing 16bit FLAC. The comparison was done in quiet indoor environment. I bet one would not be able to tell difference in less quiet outdoor environment

True enough. As for me, this dac sounds more "fun" rather than analytical.

Nov 28, 2018 at 4:37 AM Post #729 of 1,870
@FiiO I have a question regarding the EQ functionality that will hopefully be launched soon. Will the EQ be applied system wide or just for music being played from the FIIO music app please? Thanks.

Dear friend,

The EQ for BTR3 will be applied system wide.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Nov 28, 2018 at 1:02 PM Post #730 of 1,870
Dear friend,

The EQ for BTR3 will be applied system wide.

Best regards
Mr. FiiO, there is something that you should know about designing an equalizer: A good equalizer must include sliders at 100 Hz, 1000 Hz and 10,000 Hz.

100 Hz is the frequency of punchy bass. For example, to increase the slam of electronic music or any bass notes without affecting the middle frequencies at the same time, that is the best frequency to raise with an equalizer. That is the tightest and punchiest bass frequency.

1000 Hz (1 kHz) is the frequency of voices. If you want to bring vocals forward while keeping the bass and treble sweet (without much middle frequency glare), that is the best frequency to raise with an equalizer.

10,000 Hz (10 kHz) is the frequency of sweet treble. If you want to increase the sweetest treble without increasing treble harshness and high frequency glare, that is the right frequency to raise with an equalizer.

It took me several years doing live sound to get this knowledge about equalization. Many people that design equalization software, don't know this. And when the number of bands is limited, they don't include all 3 of these frequencies.

Last edited:
Nov 29, 2018 at 7:01 PM Post #731 of 1,870
Sorry, but what do you mean by "HWA is kinda far from LDAC"?

I dont know about huawei phones, but google included LDAC in Android ever since 8, so you should have LDAC support, and if so, use it.

I read about HWA, and its really inferior to LDAC in all ways. Technically, its has a narrower bandwidth than LDAc (ldac is wider by 90khz) and the software and coding that Sony has developed into LDAc over the years, being an expert company in anything Audio, makes it far superior to whatever Huawei rushed (and most probably copied from LDAC coding) to the market. I've read a lot of people complaining about HWA constant cutouts, while LDAC is very stable even though it gives you a wider bandwidth.

Nov 29, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #732 of 1,870
I dont know about huawei phones, but google included LDAC in Android ever since 8, so you should have LDAC support, and if so, use it.

I read about HWA, and its really inferior to LDAC in all ways. Technically, its has a narrower bandwidth than LDAc (ldac is wider by 90khz) and the software and coding that Sony has developed into LDAc over the years, being an expert company in anything Audio, makes it far superior to whatever Huawei rushed (and most probably copied from LDAC coding) to the market. I've read a lot of people complaining about HWA constant cutouts, while LDAC is very stable even though it gives you a wider bandwidth.

I think you meant to direct this to @lordaine. Fwiw, I use LDAC on the BT receiver that I have (not the BTR3).

Nov 29, 2018 at 9:10 PM Post #733 of 1,870

Problem is am using a Huawei phone ang they remove LDAC support, totally replace it with LHDC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back