FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Jul 4, 2019 at 6:34 AM Post #1,411 of 1,870
Dear friend,

BTR3 uses the bluetooth 4.2. Actually the Bluetooth 5.0 may not help with the sound quality too much compared with the bluetooth 4.2. Moreover, some bluetooth codecs like LDHC still hasn't adapted to the bluetooth 5.0, we decided to use the mature bluetooth 4.2 version for BTR3.
We do not have an ETA for BTR5 currently.

Best regards

BT5 SAM is used for BT Audio.
That's sad that you don't have an update planned. I guess I'll go with @Shanling UP2 in this case.

Jul 5, 2019 at 1:09 PM Post #1,414 of 1,870
How well does the BTR3 work with sensitive IEM's? Does it have independent volume control with finer steps, or is it tied to the phones control - in which the increments are generally too large for my IEM's

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:25 PM Post #1,415 of 1,870
How well does the BTR3 work with sensitive IEM's? Does it have independent volume control with finer steps, or is it tied to the phones control - in which the increments are generally too large for my IEM's

Device volume and BTR3 volume work independently from each other, I'm using IT01's with mine which are pretty sensitive without any issues.

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2019 at 7:46 PM Post #1,417 of 1,870

I'm using my BTR3 with Shure SE535 IEMs, no problems at all :)

And yes, the volume control is independent, and the steps are fine for me (not that it should matter, but using LDAC, both from a Oneplus 7 Pro and an older Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge).

Jul 6, 2019 at 1:16 PM Post #1,418 of 1,870
I'm using my BTR3 with Shure SE535 IEMs, no problems at all :)

And yes, the volume control is independent, and the steps are fine for me (not that it should matter, but using LDAC, both from a Oneplus 7 Pro and an older Samsung Galaxy 7 Edge).

I'm looking at getting the Oneplus 7 Pro, any problems with LDAC at 990kbps?

Jul 7, 2019 at 4:48 AM Post #1,419 of 1,870
I'm looking at getting the Oneplus 7 Pro, any problems with LDAC at 990kbps?

Apart from the standard Android stuff where you have to go to developer settings every time you connect the BT device in order to get 990, - no issues.

Can't really speak for the range, I typically wear both phone and btr3 when I use them (got the BTR3 due to no headphone jack on the phone)

Jul 7, 2019 at 7:53 AM Post #1,420 of 1,870
Apart from the standard Android stuff where you have to go to developer settings every time you connect the BT device in order to get 990, - no issues.

Can't really speak for the range, I typically wear both phone and btr3 when I use them (got the BTR3 due to no headphone jack on the phone)
Ok, well at least 990 works.

As for LDAC not remaining selected, have you tried disabling all the other codecs on the BTR3 accept for LDAC? Maybe Android is defaulting to one of those for some reason.

Jul 7, 2019 at 5:18 PM Post #1,421 of 1,870
Ok, well at least 990 works.

As for LDAC not remaining selected, have you tried disabling all the other codecs on the BTR3 accept for LDAC? Maybe Android is defaulting to one of those for some reason.

It defaults to LDAC selected when you enabled high-fi/ldac on the bluetooth device page, however, it falls back to "Best Effort (Adaptive bit rate)" setting when the device reconnects (along with 96kHz, 32bit, Stereo).

This was the same on Pixel2, Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge as well as the Oneplus 7 Pro. And same applies for using with my Sony WH-1000XM3 on all 3 phones, - it remembers LDAC but falls back to those defaults, and every time I connect the BT device I have to hit the developer menu and change back to my preferred settings (16bit/44.1Khz/Stereo/Optimized for Audio Quality (990/909), I'm mostly using Spotify so anything over that would be pointless to encode), at which point I have no problem with dropouts or anything. To be clear, no dropouts occur with default settings, and most of the time I can't tell the difference between the adaptive and audio-quality settings.

I'm not sure how I would see the "real" bitrate when it uses the default adaptive bitrate setting?

Jul 8, 2019 at 3:52 PM Post #1,422 of 1,870
Can the Fiio btr3 be used like a normal portable headphone DAC where you use a otg usb c cable from phone into btr3 then out of 3.5mm into headphones? Thinking of two birds one stone etc

Actually it does ... figured it out.
Basically turned on my BTR3 - it connected to my phone via BT
I plugged in the usb-c cable to both btr3 and my phone and then pressed power button 3 times ... FIIO logo went on solid white and in USB Audio Player it shows up as 'USB DAC'

If your phone has a USB-C port then you just need a standard double-ended USB-C cable ... i got a cheap Amazon Basics one at 15cm

Last edited:
Jul 8, 2019 at 4:13 PM Post #1,423 of 1,870
Photo from Jamie Wallis.jpg
USB Audio Player in 'Bit perfect' mode
2Photo from Jamie Wallis.jpg

Jul 9, 2019 at 5:06 PM Post #1,425 of 1,870
No - you're right ... for some reason even though the BTR3 supports 44Khz via USB on my Windows PC via the phone on this app it seems locked at 48Khz ... can't seem to change it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back