FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Oct 4, 2019 at 2:58 AM Post #1,549 of 1,870
In Bluetooth mode, the volume output is much lower than USB DAC mode. It is still better than Bluetooth volume without the btr3 on the OnePlus 7 Pro.

I just wanted to know if it's normal to have such a difference in sound output between Bluetooth and DAC mode.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #1,550 of 1,870
In Bluetooth mode, the volume output is much lower than USB DAC mode. It is still better than Bluetooth volume without the btr3 on the OnePlus 7 Pro.

I just wanted to know if it's normal to have such a difference in sound output between Bluetooth and DAC mode.

I happen to have a oneplus 7 pro as well, and have no such issues with the volume... The volume controls are independent, so make sure to set the phone-bluetooth-volume to max and then adjust the actual volume on the BTR3 itself.

(sidenote: if you are using a linux system and pulseaudio, pay attention to the volume slider, it does not stop at 100% but allows you to artificially boost the output at the expense of dynamic range/quality)

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:22 AM Post #1,551 of 1,870
I happen to have a oneplus 7 pro as well, and have no such issues with the volume... The volume controls are independent, so make sure to set the phone-bluetooth-volume to max and then adjust the actual volume on the BTR3 itself.

(sidenote: if you are using a linux system and pulseaudio, pay attention to the volume slider, it does not stop at 100% but allows you to artificially boost the output at the expense of dynamic range/quality)
Thanks for the reply.

I've maxed out the volume on the phone and on the btr3. But like I said, the unit simply doesn't have high volume on Bluetooth. In DAC mode, the volume is crazy high which is how it's supposed to be I'm guessing.

I've also updated the firmware to 1.2 from 1.0. I even reinstalled 1.2 again to make sure the firmware install isn't causing any issue. But the problem still persists.

Oct 4, 2019 at 5:33 AM Post #1,552 of 1,870
Thanks for the reply.

I've maxed out the volume on the phone and on the btr3. But like I said, the unit simply doesn't have high volume on Bluetooth. In DAC mode, the volume is crazy high which is how it's supposed to be I'm guessing.

I've also updated the firmware to 1.2 from 1.0. I even reinstalled 1.2 again to make sure the firmware install isn't causing any issue. But the problem still persists.

Volume will vary depending on the audio source file AND mainly, the headphones you are powering.
Some headphones are higher impedance and require much more power to push them at higher volumes.
In bluetooth mode, possible that there is a power restraint. the DAC would have direct wire line power in USB mode and thus can push more power.
The BTR3, i have noticed, is not as powerful as my Ek17 usb dac to drive my Vmoda Crosfade wireless (1st gen -in wired mode)
But yes, i have noticed that volume is different between modes, even on my win10 computer between modes, but nothing that has been an issue.
Pretty much, my BTR3 is set to max volume all the time, as it is kinda weak.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:13 AM Post #1,553 of 1,870
Thanks for the reply.

After every firmware update, my BTR3 shows the very low volume issue. After using it and turning it off and on a few times, the issue goes away and my BTR3 goes back to normal.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:24 AM Post #1,554 of 1,870
The equaliser in the fiio music app, under Bluetooth devices menu also doesn't work when connected via Bluetooth. I noticed that this is the case with the LDAC or LHDC codec.

Aptx and Aptx HD as well as all other codecs allow for the use of the equaliser.

I should also clarify that the volume difference I noticed was due to the amped up EQ which did not apply on LDAC. Hence, I stated that there's a massive difference in volume.

Running it on Aptx HD, everything is running well. But shouldn't I be able to use the firmware EQ on LDAC too?

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2019 at 9:30 AM Post #1,555 of 1,870
The equaliser in the fiio music app, under Bluetooth devices menu also doesn't work when connected via Bluetooth. I noticed that this is the case with the LDAC or LHDC codec.
So? EQ has nothing to due with volume output.
I have been able to set my preferred EQ settings via the app when it was first paired to my Pixel 3 via BT, the EQ settings are stored on the BTR3 and work on the device itself, independent of other apps.
I really only use my BTR3 on my Win 10 laptop, in both modes, wired when i an at desk and want best quality sound, or BT when i need to move around.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:31 AM Post #1,556 of 1,870
After every firmware update, my BTR3 shows the very low volume issue. After using it and turning it off and on a few times, the issue goes away and my BTR3 goes back to normal.
there has only ever been 2 firmware updates for the BTR3 since it came out.
i haven't had any change in volume after an update.
I does at time, revert to a lower volume level if i put it into pairing mode to par to something else.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:36 AM Post #1,557 of 1,870
there has only ever been 2 firmware updates for the BTR3 since it came out.
i haven't had any change in volume after an update.
I does at time, revert to a lower volume level if i put it into pairing mode to par to something else.
With those 2 firmware updates, I have run the update procedure about 4 times. The very low volume issue has happened after every one of those update procedures.

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:37 AM Post #1,558 of 1,870
So? EQ has nothing to due with volume output.
I have been able to set my preferred EQ settings via the app when it was first paired to my Pixel 3 via BT, the EQ settings are stored on the BTR3 and work on the device itself, independent of other apps.
I really only use my BTR3 on my Win 10 laptop, in both modes, wired when i an at desk and want best quality sound, or BT when i need to move around.

Well, when I was testing out the EQ, I amped up all the bands to +12db. I did that simply because the EQ wasn't working and I wanted to test it. Then I switched over to DAC mode and suddenly there was increased sound output.

It was obviously because of the EQ but I realised this after making my first post here. Remember that I'm using LDAC and for whatever reason the EQ isn't working on that. So switching back and forth between DAC mode and Bluetooth meant that in DAC mode the EQ was on but in Bluetooth mode it was off.

All that said, the only 'issue' now is that LDAC codec isn't supporting the EQ functionality of the firmware. Moving the sliders around does nothing. Come down to apxt HD or switching to DAC mode makes the EQ work again.

Appreciate everyone's replies BTW

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:41 AM Post #1,559 of 1,870
With those 2 firmware updates, I have run the update procedure about 4 times. The very low volume issue has happened after every one of those update procedures.
Well, when I was testing out the EQ, I amped up all the bands to +12db. I did that simply because the EQ wasn't working and I wanted to test it. Then I switched over to DAC mode and suddenly there was increased sound output.

It was obviously because of the EQ but I realised this after making my first post here. Remember that I'm using LDAC and for whatever reason the EQ isn't working on that. So switching back and forth between DAC mode and Bluetooth meant that in DAC mode the EQ was on but in Bluetooth mode it was off.

All that said, the only 'issue' now is that LDAC codec isn't supporting the EQ functionality of the firmware. Moving the sliders around does nothing. Come down to apxt HD or switching to DAC mode makes the EQ work again.

Appreciate everyone's replies BTW

Mine came with 1.0 and sat pretty much unused for a year until from 1.2 with the EQ feature that the BTR3 was advertised to have when i bought it.
SO I have only ever updated mine once.
And i did use it for a while over BT, LDAC with my Pixel 3.
Throughly tested the EQ so as it came out. It sticks for me with any device or codec, and in USB dac mode.
There are others ways back, when firm was new, that confirmed this as well.
I have also used LDAC when i boot into Linux on same laptop.

Dont know really what to tell u

Oct 4, 2019 at 9:45 AM Post #1,560 of 1,870
Mine came with 1.0 and sat pretty much unused for a year until from 1.2 with the EQ feature that the BTR3 was advertised to have when i bought it.
SO I have only ever updated mine once.
And i did use it for a while over BT, LDAC with my Pixel 3.
Throughly tested the EQ so as it came out. It sticks for me with any device or codec, and in USB dac mode.
There are others ways back, when firm was new, that confirmed this as well.
I have also used LDAC when i boot into Linux on same laptop.

Dont know really what to tell u
Thanks. Just wanted someone to confirm that it actually does work on LDAC. So I suppose I have a defective unit. I did try on multiple devices but the EQ simply never worked on LDAC.

Time to contact amazon..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back