FiiO BTR3-The World' First Bluetooth Headphone Amplifier, SBC/AAC/aptX/aptX LL/aptX HD/LDAC/HWA (LHDC)
Aug 28, 2019 at 6:30 AM Post #1,501 of 1,870
Yes, same issue with P20 Pro, was working fine until the new f/w then it broke. Switched to a Shanling UP2 and have no issues.

Looking at the Btr5 specs no Hwa neither. I'd be inclined to say either fiio or huawei stopped support which is a shame.
I found the connection more stable using Hwa.

Edit - I'll try updating to the latest firmware.

Ok that brought it back, but now it's running rough on 96khz.

Last edited:
Aug 30, 2019 at 2:56 PM Post #1,502 of 1,870
It might be useful for somebody that the BTR3 can easily drive the Tin Hifi P1 earphone. :) I did not even make the volume control to reach its upper end it is so loud, while my Samsung S7 is not able to serve it in every situation.

Also, the P1 is a niiice little gem, it gave a completely new life to my BTR3, they are so good together, I was just smirking for almost a whole evening, and the next morning. I will write a review sooner or later, but it is surprising how this relatively cheap setup can approach a flagship headphone with an average audiophile DAC+amp. (Certainly, I use an EQ set to that horizontal S shape.) Yes, in an A/B test the difference is obvious (less bandwidth, less dynamics, worse bass resolution, etc.), but the difference is less than I could ever imagine (except on SBC, of course). Previously I have put down the BTR3 as boring and limited as an amplifier, and it is not worth to get a better headphone connected to it, but now... can't stop listening them when I'm not at home. :)

By the way, I stated earlier that the BTR3 has extremely bad physical connectivity (range). Despite of my all experience, it was mostly my fault, however, I could call not the second, only the third Bluetooth dongle what I tried as "normal". As a matter of fact, it is the smallest one - the previous (not the cheapest) two sticks both were just junk, or eventually faulty. So the connection is fairly good now, and it works on longer distances.

Aug 31, 2019 at 5:15 AM Post #1,503 of 1,870
I've read myself back in this topic - I shouldn't have to... After some month it is very embarassing how much I denied the difference between SBC and the higher spec. codecs on BTR3 in the terms of sound quality, and saying today that the SBC is "of course" not on the same level. :) After this fiasco I will never write nothing of anything anymore I heard at least in a year (or ten)...

I was fairly rational, though: I thought, since I have a flagship but non-high impedance headphone what can be driven relatively easy, I posess a gear good enough to detect even subtle differences well. Also, I used the very same sound files and setup then and now, also I write software, I know electronics and DSP fairly well, I'm always in building equipments, etc. The P1 (what is not even a widely acknowledged, reassuring reference product) taught a lesson to me: somehow it sounds better on the BTR3 comparing to its capabilities what I can take out of the otherwise great Denon headphone on the BTR3. How this small, battery based device took out such dynamics and clarity out of the hat, I don't know, but keep trying to investigate...

The rest is in my previous post.

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:55 PM Post #1,504 of 1,870
I for the life of me can't get my BTR3 to show up in the iOS FiiO app. The first thing I did when I got the BTR3 was updated it to 1.2 and it's working great but doesn't show up in the app - tested on 3 different devices with different iOS versions (11-12) but always with the latest FiiO app (1.4.0). Did anyone have this problem? Is my unit faulty?

Sep 2, 2019 at 6:59 PM Post #1,505 of 1,870
I for the life of me can't get my BTR3 to show up in the iOS FiiO app. The first thing I did when I got the BTR3 was updated it to 1.2 and it's working great but doesn't show up in the app - tested on 3 different devices with different iOS versions (11-12) but always with the latest FiiO app (1.4.0). Did anyone have this problem? Is my unit faulty?
Hi, have you disabled HWA in the app? that's what caused it for me!

Sep 2, 2019 at 7:11 PM Post #1,506 of 1,870
Hi, have you disabled HWA in the app? that's what caused it for me!
Thanks for the suggestion, but there is no HWA in the iOS app. The BTR3 is connected to the phone and even shows up as such on the Now Playing interface in the FiiO app, but getting it in the Bluetooth Control seems impossible =[
B166049C-DBAB-4BBA-BAE1-9A92E78AAEC2.png
222D7DE3-8A0C-4341-AB7A-43356D79BD08.png

Last edited:
Sep 2, 2019 at 11:21 PM Post #1,509 of 1,870
About BTR5, do you know if can be used as USB DAC, connected to PC, and then transmit Bluetooth to some Wireless Headphone? Thanks
I don't think so. BTR5 act as a bluetooth receiver, not bluetooth transmitter. For that you need the Fiio M5. I'm probably wrong. We have to wait for the official release to be sure.

Sep 4, 2019 at 5:43 AM Post #1,512 of 1,870
Dear friend,

I took a small video and you may read if it helps:

Please try to click the reflash button in the top right corner first. In my video, you could see i was too hurry so i failed for serveral time.

When the BTR3 appear, press the power button of the BTR3 for several time.

Exit that page and wait for 10s or so then you will see the BTR3 in the FiiO Bluetooth control interface.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Sep 4, 2019 at 12:03 PM Post #1,513 of 1,870
Dear friend,

I took a small video and you may read if it helps:

Please try to click the reflash button in the top right corner first. In my video, you could see i was too hurry so i failed for serveral time.

When the BTR3 appear, press the power button of the BTR3 for several time.

Exit that page and wait for 10s or so then you will see the BTR3 in the FiiO Bluetooth control interface.

Best regards

Thank you! I've actually managed to fix it myself. In my case, I needed to reset the BTR3 pairings by holding '+' and '-' at the same time. After doing that and re-pairing with the phone, it worked right away.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back