[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Jul 18, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #2,581 of 3,678
In most cases yes, but you are using an Android phone, that isn't bitperfect, so the tuning of the base eq does play a part in the sound ypu here as well. Do you have the atmos audio activated or not. Definitely sounds better on, but wanted you to know it Definitely plays a role as eq changes in the Samsung sound settings will change the sound heard
I do use Atmos when I'm just using the phone headphone jack. I prefer it most of the time.

Last edited:
Jul 19, 2021 at 3:57 PM Post #2,582 of 3,678
Since I finally managed to pick up a BTR5, is this dongle still the best affordable way to connect a PS4 to the BTR5, or did better options emerge in the meantime?
As far as I was able to find out both PS4 and PS5 still only support UAC1 and there is no trick or converter cable to connect them to a UAC2 DAC, right?!

Are there devices that can convert TOSLINK to USB (UAC2)?
I am only finding devices that convert from USB to TOSLINK.

Thank you (or anyone else) in advance for looking into my question. :)

Just now seeing this.

Correct. I believe UAC1 is supported, UAC2 is not. I am not sure of PS4, but on PS5 the output from the Creative BT-W3 paired with my Fiio BTR3K is really lo, probably 50% of normal. It's odd, because when connected to PC, the pairing between the BT-W3 and BTR3K has more than enough volume. I was never able to determine why the volume is so low on PS5. PS5 volume output is set to full.

I also have the Creative BT-W2, which is the previous version of the BT-W3. Same BT codec support as the BT-W3. For whatever reason, there is plenty of volume when connected to PS5 and paired with the BTR3K. It's strange, because the BT-W3 also has plenty of volume from PS5 when paired with a Soundblaster E5.

Everything is on the latest firmware. I'd choose the BT-W2 over the BT-W3 on PlayStation if using Fiio bluetooth devices.

I am not aware of a UAC1 to UAC2 converter or workaround.

Jul 22, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #2,583 of 3,678
There are 2 problems with PS4 / PS5 DAC compatibility.

The first is the UAC1 problem. But in addition to that, there is the sound volume bug as described above. Almost all DACs have this problem. The best source to read more on it is on the JDS labs blog: https://blog.jdslabs.com/2020/11/connecting-a-usb-dac-to-ps4-or-ps5/

In short, there is a couple of ways to "fix" the problem. None of them really work with BTR5 though.

- Get a seperate dac for PS5 (Soundblasterx G6, atom dac, some random cheap UAC1 dac) Some (most?) of them will have the sound bug, so you will need a more powerful amp than you would normally need for you headphones.
- Get a seperate USB bridge (Soundblaster G6 or the DAC above work for this too) and connect it to your "normal" dac. This is probably the route I am going to take.
- Use an HDMI extractor. I don't like this solution personally, since you are putting a cheap component in both your audio and graphic chain. I prefer to pit it only in the sound chain.

All of this results in either an SPdif or analogue output. Although the G6 is really decent for its price to just run your headphones.

Jul 23, 2021 at 12:43 PM Post #2,585 of 3,678
As for the BTR5. Is it worth getting it if you are only going to use the single ended output? Or are there cheaper options that are better then?
Having just tested the BTR5, the main reason to get it is if you are willing to use the app and customize everything to your desire if only using 3.5 mm out. On the flip side, keep in mind that the ESS9218P DACs are quickly running out of available stock worldwide, so if FiiO goes with the ESS9219P for future production runs then the costs will increase. So either get this (or whatever else uses the same DAC) asap or maybe wait and see what new options come up in a couple of months as companies come to terms of the chip shortage issues.

Edit: The FiiO ASIO generic drivers in USB mode are also nice, but in only wired mode you might as well just get something like the E1DA 3098D

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 11:49 AM Post #2,586 of 3,678
True, I am not really in a hurry though. I have a setup at home but looking to get a cheaper setup at the office too to upgrade from my Fiio E18.

Not looking to customize anything honestly, so a 2nd hand E10k or something might make more sense. Thanks for the reply!

Jul 25, 2021 at 3:46 PM Post #2,587 of 3,678
It is not the earphone jack. It also gets disconnected in pavucontrol. That shouldn't happen unless the disconnection has been continued for a number of seconds.

The same fault also occurs on the balanced connection.
I have a similar issue. Connected via USB-C to my PC.
Currently it drops the connection after a few minutes, the screen begins to flicker erratically every second or so and even reconnecting it doesn't do anything. I think the battery might just be dead.

Speaking of which, I use this basically solely as a USB dongle. But setting "charge" to "off" is something the device doesn't remember. I basically have to set it to "off" every time I reboot my computer. Now it looks like the battery is just drained because I didn't use it for a bit, and it doesn't have enough charge to stay alive even when connected. Maybe. It's kinda erratic.

EDIT

So, I think I have figured out the issue. The BTR5 doesn't like being run off of a USB hub. Maybe that didn't give it enough power, I don't know. But connecting the device DIRECTLY to my PC, not to one of the hubs I use (because... reasons... I don't know either how I got SO many USB devices) means it works without hiccups. I tried it with my lapto, and that worked, even using the same cable. So... No using USB hubs! Lesson learned.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2021 at 9:42 PM Post #2,588 of 3,678
I have a similar issue. Connected via USB-C to my PC.
Currently it drops the connection after a few minutes, the screen begins to flicker erratically every second or so and even reconnecting it doesn't do anything. I think the battery might just be dead.

Speaking of which, I use this basically solely as a USB dongle. But setting "charge" to "off" is something the device doesn't remember. I basically have to set it to "off" every time I reboot my computer. Now it looks like the battery is just drained because I didn't use it for a bit, and it doesn't have enough charge to stay alive even when connected. Maybe. It's kinda erratic.

EDIT

So, I think I have figured out the issue. The BTR5 doesn't like being run off of a USB hub. Maybe that didn't give it enough power, I don't know. But connecting the device DIRECTLY to my PC, not to one of the hubs I use (because... reasons... I don't know either how I got SO many USB devices) means it works without hiccups. I tried it with my lapto, and that worked, even using the same cable. So... No using USB hubs! Lesson learned.
Was it a powered hub?

Jul 25, 2021 at 10:59 PM Post #2,589 of 3,678
EDIT

Could be relevant: Some PC has a USB power save function built into the BIOS (and sometime the OS as well), and will automatically disconnected certain USB connection after awhile if it didn't sense any change of activity.

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2021 at 1:19 AM Post #2,590 of 3,678
Functionality question: Can one program / map any of the BTR5 buttons to simulate pressing "#" during an active phone call? I use a number of 2-factor authentication websites where one can receive a phone call rather than text to get the access code. This would be very handy when phone is buried in a pocket or in the other room charging, except for the fact that the phone bot requires you to "press pound" before providing the code. Any workarounds would be welcomed. :pray:

Jul 27, 2021 at 10:18 PM Post #2,591 of 3,678
Sorry if this has been asked but I am considering getting the BTR5, but have seen the terrible ratings the app gets, especially on iOS. Can I still use the BTR5 without using the app? I was hoping to be able to set EQ through the screen but none of the reviews I've watched mention anything about being able to do it other than there being a menu option for EQ on the screen.

My hope is to use it as a headphone jack for my iPhone via Bluetooth and also use it with my work and personal laptops through USB mode. I would be powering Sennheiser HD58X and Westone 3 (the 58x I'll likely run balanced).

Thanks!

Jul 28, 2021 at 3:02 AM Post #2,592 of 3,678
Sorry if this has been asked but I am considering getting the BTR5, but have seen the terrible ratings the app gets, especially on iOS. Can I still use the BTR5 without using the app? I was hoping to be able to set EQ through the screen but none of the reviews I've watched mention anything about being able to do it other than there being a menu option for EQ on the screen.

My hope is to use it as a headphone jack for my iPhone via Bluetooth and also use it with my work and personal laptops through USB mode. I would be powering Sennheiser HD58X and Westone 3 (the 58x I'll likely run balanced).

Thanks!
You can set the EQ profiles

Hiphop, Classic, R&B, Dance, Rock, Pop, Jazz, User and Off on the BTR5 itself.
For set up the user profile, you have to install the app, nontheless.
But once you've configured the BTR5 over the app you can forget about.

Didn't touched the app for over a year. :)

Jul 28, 2021 at 6:34 AM Post #2,593 of 3,678

Thanks!
App is not at all mandatory. I haven't used the app in almost 7-8 months

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:13 PM Post #2,594 of 3,678
You can set the EQ profiles

Hiphop, Classic, R&B, Dance, Rock, Pop, Jazz, User and Off on the BTR5 itself.
For set up the user profile, you have to install the app, nontheless.
But once you've configured the BTR5 over the app you can forget about.

Didn't touched the app for over a year. :)
App is not at all mandatory. I haven't used the app in almost 7-8 months

Thank you both very much! Just ordered one. I will try the one time setup with the app and then forget about it.

Jul 28, 2021 at 12:32 PM Post #2,595 of 3,678
Thank you both very much! Just ordered one. I will try the one time setup with the app and then forget about it.
Actually you don't even need to download the app except maybe to lower the notification volume and maybe harmonics if you care about it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back