[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 2, 2020 at 7:58 PM Post #2,131 of 3,676
Can this device be used as a BT transmitter? Like say plug the device into a Windows laptop and then feed a lossless BT signal to a pair of true wireless IEMs?
No.
It's a receiver only. :wink:
For your purpose take a look at the Creative Bluetooth dongle version 3. :)

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2020 at 8:47 PM Post #2,132 of 3,676
M11 and even more M11Pro are better sounding be it iems or headphones.
Ok I thought so too. Why would same company sell inferior product for higher price . lol

I should come to head fi for more accurate review than YouTube ^^

Oct 2, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #2,133 of 3,676
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:21 AM Post #2,134 of 3,676
@FiiO congratulations for releasing the new BTR5 2.0 firmware but, as asked before, when will you release a new version of the iOS Apps? I also do not have Android.
Another question is, when we will be able to update the firmware using Mac OS?

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 3:38 AM Post #2,136 of 3,676
@FiiO congratulations for releasing the new BTR5 2.0 firmware but, as asked before, when will you release a new version of the iOS Apps? I also do not have Android.
Another question is, when we will be able to update the firmware using Mac OS?

So, there’s no iOS app? And you cannot update with a MAC? The I definitely won’t buy this or the Q5S.

Oct 3, 2020 at 5:22 AM Post #2,138 of 3,676
I tried to update on Mac via Wine but wouldn't recognise the BTR5 when plugged in, in DFU mode.
I also tried using a virtual machine and it does not work. Only if you really use a Windows PC. @Pablovi, yes there are iOS apps. They are just not updated and therefore I was asking @FiiO when we will receive it, as well as receive the Mac firmware update process.

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:23 AM Post #2,139 of 3,676
Same here, I don’t have Windows PC around me so I cannot upgrade to FW v2.0 yet. However will this upgrade brings any substantial different in any way? I noticed my BTR5 sometimes having the playback issue where the track plays faster/slower and elevated key. I’m using it as USB DAC on my iPhone via Tidal app & it happens especially with Master playback.

Apart from that, just curious if someone can explain what are the Second and Third Harmonic Distortion setting option in FiiO app? Just curious about it and can’t find them in google search.

Oct 3, 2020 at 3:50 PM Post #2,140 of 3,676
Same here, I don’t have Windows PC around me so I cannot upgrade to FW v2.0 yet. However will this upgrade brings any substantial different in any way? I noticed my BTR5 sometimes having the playback issue where the track plays faster/slower and elevated key. I’m using it as USB DAC on my iPhone via Tidal app & it happens especially with Master playback.

Apart from that, just curious if someone can explain what are the Second and Third Harmonic Distortion setting option in FiiO app? Just curious about it and can’t find them in google search.
Harmonics are integers of the fundamental frequency. Please see here. Harmonic distortion is the effect of these additional frequencies and said to alter the character of sound, with tube amps traditionally having more prominent second and other even-order harmonics and solid state more odd order harmonics. The former tend to be more musical and the latter more analytic as a BIG generalization, Of course the sonic impact also depends on other aspects of amp. design, so YMMV. Others may be able to explain the correlation on harmonics to sound characteristics better than my rudimentary generalization above. For me, setting 2nd order to "4: and 3rd order to "2" achieves a nice balance of "tube-like" musicality versus analytic "solid state" type sound,Hope that helps, but of course YMMV. :smile_phones:

Below is an excerpt from here that adds a bit more detail.
Triode-based tube amplifiers tend to have very little energy in the higher harmonics, so a tube amp with 1% THD exhibits mostly 2nd harmonic with very little of the other harmonics. A 2nd harmonic tone 40 dB below the fundamental (equating to 1%) is quite difficult for the human ear to detect. Early transistor amplifiers, on the other hand, were dominated by odd harmonics, primarily the 3rd and 5th, to which the human ear is significantly more sensitive. [So] engineers realized that in order to achieve comparable sound quality with an amplifier producing mostly 3rd and 5th harmonic distortion, the maximum allowable level of distortion had to be reduced by 10 – 20 dB, to .3% or even .1% THD+N.

Last edited:
Oct 3, 2020 at 8:20 PM Post #2,141 of 3,676
Has anyone ever compared the sound quality differences between LDAC and ACC.

I have iPhone can only use ACC and always wonder how much I’m missing out

Oct 3, 2020 at 9:10 PM Post #2,142 of 3,676
I also tried using a virtual machine and it does not work. Only if you really use a Windows PC. @Pablovi, yes there are iOS apps. They are just not updated and therefore I was asking @FiiO when we will receive it, as well as receive the Mac firmware update process.

Thanks, but that’s the thing, if they won’t update it, it’s only a matter of time before it disappears, and if you can’t update the device itself, then it useless. I was planning to buy this or the Q5S. But now I don’t think I’ll do it, unless they get support for Mac users.

Thanks again!

Oct 3, 2020 at 10:55 PM Post #2,143 of 3,676
Harmonics are integers of the fundamental frequency. Please see here. Harmonic distortion is the effect of these additional frequencies and said to alter the character of sound, with tube amps traditionally having more prominent second and other even-order harmonics and solid state more odd order harmonics. The former tend to be more musical and the latter more analytic as a BIG generalization, Of course the sonic impact also depends on other aspects of amp. design, so YMMV. Others may be able to explain the correlation on harmonics to sound characteristics better than my rudimentary generalization above. For me, setting 2nd order to "4: and 3rd order to "2" achieves a nice balance of "tube-like" musicality versus analytic "solid state" type sound,Hope that helps, but of course YMMV. :smile_phones:

Below is an excerpt from here that adds a bit more detail.
Triode-based tube amplifiers tend to have very little energy in the higher harmonics, so a tube amp with 1% THD exhibits mostly 2nd harmonic with very little of the other harmonics. A 2nd harmonic tone 40 dB below the fundamental (equating to 1%) is quite difficult for the human ear to detect. Early transistor amplifiers, on the other hand, were dominated by odd harmonics, primarily the 3rd and 5th, to which the human ear is significantly more sensitive. [So] engineers realized that in order to achieve comparable sound quality with an amplifier producing mostly 3rd and 5th harmonic distortion, the maximum allowable level of distortion had to be reduced by 10 – 20 dB, to .3% or even .1% THD+N.

Dear friend,

Appreciate much for the brief explanation with thanks. You made me feel contented for now to simply enjoy my listening session after reading those. Although some of the technicalities and terminology were fairly beyond my knowledge, (or maybe just for me), for now I doubt that my current on-the-go setup has something to do with it just yet. Maybe in the future with my “end-game” gears - where my miles are vary from today. Cheerio! :L3000:

Oct 4, 2020 at 12:44 AM Post #2,145 of 3,676
Hello, I had a query. Is there a way to use the dual dac setup for the 3.5mm SE port? Same way as the UP4 has a dual dac mode?

It is a hardware implementation that can not be changed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back