[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Oct 5, 2020 at 5:28 AM Post #2,150 of 3,700
Has anyone ever compared the sound quality differences between LDAC and ACC.

I have iPhone can only use ACC and always wonder how much I’m missing out
Definitely. I have several android phones, and have used an iPhone 7 as digital transport for the last year and a half due to the beautiful bit-perfect transport to all apps for audio. But when it comes to Bluetooth listening, LDAC beats it hands down. It has to do with the amount of information and basically the cutoff freq of the different codes. AAC rolls off a little earlier than APTX definitely earlier than APTX HD, and you hear even more of the top end with LDAC. it's the upper frequencies where the lower codecs begin to fail and that plays a part in staging feel, transparency, and detail.

Oct 5, 2020 at 5:37 AM Post #2,151 of 3,700
Definitely. I have several android phones, and have used an iPhone 7 as digital transport for the last year and a half due to the beautiful bit-perfect transport to all apps for audio. But when it comes to Bluetooth listening, LDAC beats it hands down. It has to do with the amount of information and basically the cutoff freq of the different codes. AAC rolls off a little earlier than APTX definitely earlier than APTX HD, and you hear even more of the top end with LDAC. it's the upper frequencies where the lower codecs begin to fail and that plays a part in staging feel, transparency, and detail.
I never have android phone ><

iphone 4 then 6 plus then X.

when will iphone ever support Ldac ><
Anyway thanks for your detailed explanation :)

Oct 5, 2020 at 6:01 AM Post #2,152 of 3,700
I never have android phone ><

iphone 4 then 6 plus then X.

when will iphone ever support Ldac ><
Anyway thanks for your detailed explanation :)
Iphone will NEVER support LDAC. It's built its system on AAC. Honestly not focused on audio quality, rather overall user experience, etc. IOS audio is coded in AAC, so no additional. No conversion necessary.

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:58 AM Post #2,153 of 3,700
Iphone will NEVER support LDAC. It's built its system on AAC. Honestly not focused on audio quality, rather overall user experience, etc. IOS audio is coded in AAC, so no additional. No conversion necessary.
Ahhhh that sucks.

maybe someday I will switch to Android. lol

Oct 5, 2020 at 9:36 AM Post #2,155 of 3,700
To use my current iems (KZ ZS10 Pro and Blon BL 03) with the BTR5 balanced output just take a simple 2.5mm NICEHCK 8 Core copper cable?

No problem? Need anything else? thanks a lot

That’s it, I assume you’ll be using an audio source via Bluetooth and/or USB?

Oct 5, 2020 at 8:17 PM Post #2,157 of 3,700

Actually whether it is iOS or Android, or whether the music is AAC or not doesn't matter much to the Bluetooth chip. When sound is sent over BT, it will always get decoded back to PCM first, then re-encoded using the BT codec (AAC or LDAC, or any codec both transmitter and receiver agreed to use). So even for iOS devices, AAC encoded music will get decoded back to PCM first, then recoded back to AAC for BT transmission. Hence the process is always lossy and you will take a hit on SQ technically.

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:40 AM Post #2,158 of 3,700
You cannot compare AAC on android vs iphone. AAC on iphone is much better optimized and is visible in tests.
However LDAC would have advantage but it is not going to happen.

To easy see possible difference compare BT vs on cable (LDAC will be worse than this, but closer than AAC).

Oct 6, 2020 at 3:45 AM Post #2,159 of 3,700
Oct 6, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #2,160 of 3,700
I just think of Bluetooth for convince and wired for quality. Just like anything else... wifi vs wired internet etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back