[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 15, 2020 at 1:15 PM Post #1,981 of 3,680
I misspoke, yes, I meant by giving them a headphones for Jack.

Which one sounds better?
No worries! I do not have the BTR3K, so I cannot compare, but I am sure others on this thread will be able to. Use the search function on this thread and look for BTR3K, as I know I have seen a few observations / opinions posted here.

Aug 16, 2020 at 2:13 AM Post #1,982 of 3,680
I'm interested in buying a portable DAC. I saw the Mi5 Fiio at first but was not convinced because it could not be used with Spotify on the mobile. Now I'm between the Fiio BTR5 and the BTR3K

Which of these two is better? My priority is sound quality with bluetooth headphones, I previously used the Meizu DAC Hi-Fi pro, but was not convinced and will sell it.

Depends on your headphone. If it needs more power to shine, then BTR5. If not, BTR3K is just as good.

Aug 16, 2020 at 6:38 AM Post #1,983 of 3,680
Depends on your headphone. If it needs more power to shine, then BTR5. If not, BTR3K is just as good.
What are the things that we should look in order for us to know that our headphones need more power to shine?

Aug 16, 2020 at 8:57 AM Post #1,984 of 3,680
What are the things that we should look in order for us to know that our headphones need more power to shine?

There are two common sign - First is the simple kind that the headphone doesn't sound loud enough. This is usually headphones that has high impedance and low sensitivity. There is where more voltage from the amp section can help. Second is the more complicated kind with headphone doesn't sound 'tight' enough (a.k.a. 'soft' sounding) even with enough volume. This is usually headphones that has very low impedance but relatively high sensitivity (i.e. many multi-driver, single digit impedance IEM belong here). This is where more current (+ reserved current) from the amp section can help.

Aug 16, 2020 at 12:48 PM Post #1,985 of 3,680
Does anyone have experience with connecting BTR5 to car audio via USB C - Jack 3.5 cable? I'm going to get the car which is equipped only with usb C slots (no more traditional usb). And I'm curious if I can manage us my Fiio and stream better quality musi to car audio system using cable from Amazon.

Aug 16, 2020 at 1:16 PM Post #1,986 of 3,680
Does anyone have experience with connecting BTR5 to car audio via USB C - Jack 3.5 cable? I'm going to get the car which is equipped only with usb C slots (no more traditional usb). And I'm curious if I can manage us my Fiio and stream better quality musi to car audio system using cable from Amazon.

You want to connect BTR5's 3.5mm output to a car Type-C port? Don't bother as Type-C port doesn't work that way (in fact, no even with regular USB-A).

Surely your car has Bluetooth? Just connect your smartphone directly to your car's stereo via Bluetooth. If you really want to use BTR5 in your car, find a cable that connect BTR5's 3.5mm output to the car's stereo AUX input (*which usually is a pair of RCA sockets hidden on the back side of the stereo unit, but it can be different connector depends on the car stereo system). If you don't know how to find the AUX input of the stereo unit, ask the dealer or an car audio shop to help.

Last edited:
Aug 20, 2020 at 3:37 PM Post #1,988 of 3,680
I'm trying to use my BTR5 as a USB DAC paired with my brand new Sony WH-1000XM4. However, I'm not able to pair the two. I can get the BTR5 into "pairing" mode and so are my Sony headphones, but they never pair. My BTR5 did pair with my iPhone just fine. Ideas?

Aug 20, 2020 at 6:25 PM Post #1,989 of 3,680
I'm trying to use my BTR5 as a USB DAC paired with my brand new Sony WH-1000XM4. However, I'm not able to pair the two. I can get the BTR5 into "pairing" mode and so are my Sony headphones, but they never pair. My BTR5 did pair with my iPhone just fine. Ideas?
The BTR5 is a receiver, not a transmitter... It will pair wirelessly to your phone or a DAP (those would be transmitters while the BTR5 would be a receiver). Headphones always have to be wired to the BTR5.

Last edited:
Aug 22, 2020 at 9:41 PM Post #1,990 of 3,680
Hi all, I'm trying to decide between the BTR5 and the Hiby W3. I plan to use the device with my two iOS devices (iPhone X and iPad Mini) and the Hiby R5. The BTR5 has a much greater power output (220mw vs 35mw) but the W3 can transmit 24/192 through it's propeitary "UAT" BT. I'm wondering what's going to ultimately sound better via their respective balanced 2.5mm outputs? I'll be playing mostly Tidal Hi-Fi and Maters streaming from the iOS devices, but also some high-res tracks stored locally on my iPhone X. Which is going to sound better between the BTR5 and the W5? Or is that a stupid question considering I'm on the BTR5 thread? Thanks for any feedback.

Aug 22, 2020 at 9:46 PM Post #1,991 of 3,680
Unless you are in one of those wireless signal free 'clean room' that blocks out all signal from outside world, UAT is practically useless.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:05 PM Post #1,992 of 3,680
Unless you are in one of those wireless signal free 'clean room' that blocks out all signal from outside world, UAT is practically useless.
Thanks. Regarding bluetooth streaming from iOS device to the BTR5, what is the highest sample rate (via Tidal Hi-Fi or localy stored files) that can be transmitted? 48/24?

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:18 PM Post #1,993 of 3,680
Thanks. Regarding bluetooth streaming from iOS device to the BTR5, what is the highest sample rate (via Tidal Hi-Fi or localy stored files) that can be transmitted? 48/24?

Pretty sure iOS limits it's BT transmission to 16/48 AAC.

Aug 22, 2020 at 11:35 PM Post #1,995 of 3,680
And, so how does this sound through the balanced output of the BTR5? What is the best method at getting the most optimal sound quality out of the BTR5?
Your Hiby R5 will transmit LDAC if you set it so, and can select best sound quality so 900kbps

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back