[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Aug 6, 2020 at 9:27 AM Post #1,952 of 3,679
Yeah, let me give more info on the BT problem.

First, I have used the ES100 in this exact same use case and had no problems whatsoever.

My music is coming from my laptop on my desk and connecting via BT to the BTR5 that is on my AV stand connected to my receiver. The distance between the two is 9.4 feet. There is generally nothing in between the two.

If I swap out the ES100 in this situation, the connection is flawless.

A second use case. Using the same computer, if I sit at the desk and connect the BTR5 to my headphones, the signal will also cut out or stutter if I move or even just randomly. The distance in this case would be approximately 1.5 feet.

If I swap out the BTR5 for my QC35, again there is no problem.

Are others seeing this? Is there some sort of update? I understand that BT can be dependent on many things, but the fact that other, older devices are not showing these symptoms, and this seems like a very basic case (less than 10 feet max and no obstructions) makes this seem like a problem of the BTR5.

Thanks,
Robert

Aug 6, 2020 at 9:48 AM Post #1,953 of 3,679
Yeah, let me give more info on the BT problem.

First, I have used the ES100 in this exact same use case and had no problems whatsoever.

My music is coming from my laptop on my desk and connecting via BT to the BTR5 that is on my AV stand connected to my receiver. The distance between the two is 9.4 feet. There is generally nothing in between the two.

If I swap out the ES100 in this situation, the connection is flawless.

A second use case. Using the same computer, if I sit at the desk and connect the BTR5 to my headphones, the signal will also cut out or stutter if I move or even just randomly. The distance in this case would be approximately 1.5 feet.

If I swap out the BTR5 for my QC35, again there is no problem.

Are others seeing this? Is there some sort of update? I understand that BT can be dependent on many things, but the fact that other, older devices are not showing these symptoms, and this seems like a very basic case (less than 10 feet max and no obstructions) makes this seem like a problem of the BTR5.

Thanks,
Robert
“makes this seem like a problem of the BTR5”

Not all BT devices are identical in their performance. You have likely found one (BTR5) that has less range or ability to handle obstructions than another (ES100). I have a similar observation with my ES100 and BTR5. I am certain if we looked hard enough we would find another device that performs better than the ES100, and another worse than the BTR5.

I don’t think it is a “problem” with the BTR5. Just that in this particular case the ES100 performs better. Kind of like cars, some have better gas mileage than others or better acceleration or braking... etc.

Aug 6, 2020 at 10:32 AM Post #1,954 of 3,679
For those who might remember me, I still haven't bought a BTR5 but expressed interested a few months ago - is there anyone that has tested the BTR5 with a PS4 Pro?
There were talks about the PS4 when the topic of the incompatibility with the Switch came up but I didn't find any follow-up posts regarding this subject.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if it works before I buy because money is still tight on my side due to the recent events and I would probably wait for another comparable device that works with this console.
Also, how has the battery life on those Fiio devices been in the past? Is is realistic to expect a few years of use out the BTR5?

Thanks in advance for looking into my questions! :xf_cool:

Aug 7, 2020 at 7:48 PM Post #1,955 of 3,679
For those who might remember me, I still haven't bought a BTR5 but expressed interested a few months ago - is there anyone that has tested the BTR5 with a PS4 Pro?
There were talks about the PS4 when the topic of the incompatibility with the Switch came up but I didn't find any follow-up posts regarding this subject.

I would appreciate if someone could tell me if it works before I buy because money is still tight on my side due to the recent events and I would probably wait for another comparable device that works with this console.
Also, how has the battery life on those Fiio devices been in the past? Is is realistic to expect a few years of use out the BTR5?

Thanks in advance for looking into my questions! :xf_cool:
The BTR3 and new BTR3k in USB DAC mode work with the switch, but I got rid of my PS4 / Xbox a while back as I was playing more PC games. I was actually looking for a console fix recently - but I couldn't find a console to purchase... all the sites I checked had only used/refurb units - even MS Store was out of everything, what happened?

Anyway, I've searched before for PS4/Xbox compatibility with BTR5 / BTR3k in USB DAC mode and found nothing, just like now... weird right? You'd think someone would have tried it by now...

The BTR5 in USB DAC mode is incompatible with the Nintendo switch, but the BTR3k works, so if you want play around with testing USB DAC mode I'd invest in the BTR3k first and see if that works with the PS4 / Xbox as it's less expensive than the BTR5 and cheap enough to dedicate to the task long term if the BTR3k does work.

If you just want to use the BTR5 / BTR3k as a Bluetooth receiver with the PS4 that might work too, the PS4 advertises connecting with BT headphones (receivers) so it might just be a matter of the usual connection dance. That may be why we don't hear about the BTR5 / BTR3k and PS4 / Xbox as BT connectivity - maybe it just works?

I hope that helps a bit :)

Aug 8, 2020 at 1:35 AM Post #1,956 of 3,679
If you just want to use the BTR5 / BTR3k as a Bluetooth receiver with the PS4 that might work too, the PS4 advertises connecting with BT headphones (receivers) so it might just be a matter of the usual connection dance. That may be why we don't hear about the BTR5 / BTR3k and PS4 / Xbox as BT connectivity - maybe it just works?

I hope that helps a bit :)

I can't recall why exactly, but I think the last time I tried to use my one pair of BT headphone (AKG Y50BT) with the PS4 it didn't work. Could've been something wrong that I did or simple incompatibility.

Aug 8, 2020 at 5:52 AM Post #1,958 of 3,679
I found that Tidal in exclusive mode with WASAPI really makes a mess with BTR5. For some time it works fine and then suddenly it doesn't set a valid sampling rate, after that songs play too fast or too slow. Even after closing Tidal app, BTR5 is stuck in the sampling rate wrongly set by Tidal, to fix that I need to launch Tidal again, then turn off and on exclusive mode and play any song. It is really interesting because there is definitely a problem with Tidal, wasapi, and BTR5 but I don't know which one is responsible.

On the other hand, Tidal through Audirvana with ASIO mode works fine, switches the sampling rate perfectly. I may end up buying the full version of Audirvana...

Aug 10, 2020 at 7:50 PM Post #1,959 of 3,679
I've been searching online for the same question. Anybody here have luck with connecting the btr5 to a PS4? I've connected an es100 without issue, but can't seem to get sound to come out of the btr5. I've tried both USB 1 and 2 settings, and neither work. The display shows 44.1khz as if it's connected, but no sound comes out. Thoughts?
Hey, just got emailed about a new dongle from Creative built to dedicate to provide BT for PS4 / Nintendo Switch:

"Enjoy wireless audio on your PS4™ or Nintendo Switch™ with BT-W3! Creative BT-W3 is a portable Bluetooth audio transmitter equipped with the latest Bluetooth version 5.0 and advanced audio codecs like aptX™ LL and aptX™ HD. With a simple plug-and-play functionality, you can easily enjoy high-quality Bluetooth audio with your PS4™, Nintendo Switch™, PC, or Mac. "
https://us.creative.com/p/speakers/creative-bt-w3

I haven't tried it yet, but early on I used the predecessor the BT-W2, and this new revision looks like it's completely up to date and what I've been waiting for someone to provide - a cost effective all around update for BT on the Nintendo, PS4, and PC.

It's also available on Amazon, but make sure you click the right product option otherwise you'll get the years older W2... we want the W3 :)

Creative BT-W3 Bluetooth 5.0 USB-C Audio Transmitter, aptX LL and aptX HD, 3.5 mm Analog Mic for Voice Chat Support, Codec Indicator and Selection, Plug-and-Play for PS4, Nintendo Switch, PC, and Mac
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B089PYFLBN

I've been looking for an updated BT for my PC too, it's still on BT 4.1, worth a try :)

Aug 11, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,960 of 3,679
hi there, noob questions regarding btr5 + usage with headphone amplifier *EG FiiO A5, can i just use the BTR5 on max volume and plug the 3.5mm to the FiiO A5 or is it gonna double amplified the signal?

thanks in advance

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:07 AM Post #1,961 of 3,679
hi there, noob questions regarding btr5 + usage with headphone amplifier *EG FiiO A5, can i just use the BTR5 on max volume and plug the 3.5mm to the FiiO A5 or is it gonna double amplified the signal?

thanks in advance
No line out feature for btr5. I've connected mine to a different portable amp without issue. Didn't run volume at max though. 60 to 80max is my idea for best audio. Max volume may cause some distortion through your amp, or at the very least give you little volume with which to work with on your amps potentiometer.

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:11 AM Post #1,962 of 3,679

thanks in advance
I think that would technically be double amping. Whether distortion or hiss would be apparent depends on your equipment & subjective hearing, I guess. YMMV

Aug 11, 2020 at 8:34 AM Post #1,963 of 3,679
I think that would technically be double amping. Whether distortion or hiss would be apparent depends on your equipment & subjective hearing, I guess. YMMV
No line out feature for btr5. I've connected mine to a different portable amp without issue. Didn't run volume at max though. 60 to 80max is my idea for best audio. Max volume may cause some distortion through your amp, or at the very least give you little volume with which to work with on your amps potentiometer.

ooft, thats too bad then..
guess i cancel trying to use my dt990 250ohm with btr5 stacks
thanks for the info,

cheers

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:28 AM Post #1,964 of 3,679

thanks in advance
Do you already have both the BTR5 and the A5? If so, why not just try it? It shouldn't hurt anything. I'm currently using the BTR5 with my E12A and DT 1990. Sounds okay, but I can't really do any close listening since my air conditioner is going.

Aug 11, 2020 at 9:35 AM Post #1,965 of 3,679

thanks in advance
Using btr5 with Little Dot mk2 amp, beyerdynamic dt150 and hd6xx with great results and zero problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back