[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:19 AM Post #1,441 of 3,707
I recently purchased the BTR5 and am deciding on what case to buy for it as the plastic case looks ugly and I don't think ill be needing the clip. So far, there have only been 2 other options online - the FIIO branded plain black case or the DD case with the big cutout down the middle of the case. Am I crazy to think that the FIIO case without the cutout will affect the btr5 unit???? Why does the DD case have a cutout and FIIO does not?

Any of you guys have any experience with these cases?

maybe @FiiO can chime in
I've been using the DD Red/Black BTR5 case for a while. I ordered it instead of the FiiO closed Black case because there was more exposed area for cooling air flow over the BTR5.

Over time the DD case fit has loosened and the case will fall off of the BTR5 when I hold the assemblage by the headphones cable.

When the USB cable is attached to the BTR5 the case is held in place by the USB connection - but I can slide the BTR5 in and out of the case if I push the USB cable through...even so the case is held from falling by the USB cable.

I've just now ordered the FiiO imprinted version of the BTR5 case as I have a new "backup" BTR5 arriving on the 28th.

I will post some comments comparing the two cases when it arrives. :)

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2020 at 1:26 AM Post #1,442 of 3,707
I've been using the DD Red/Black BTR5 case for a while. I ordered it instead of the FiiO closed Black case because there was more exposed area for cooling air flow over the BTR5.

Over time the DD case fit has loosened and the case will fall off of the BTR5 when I hold the assemblage by the headphones cable.

When the USB cable is attached to the BTR5 the case is held in place by the USB connection - but I can slide the BTR5 in and out of the case if I push the USB cable through...even so the case is held from falling by the USB cable.

I've just now ordered the FiiO imprinted version of the BTR5 case as I have a new "backup" BTR5 arriving on the 28th.

This is good to know.. I’ve also ordered the plain black fiio case after several days of mulling haha

Apr 27, 2020 at 7:17 PM Post #1,443 of 3,707
Looks like the BTR5 is finally in stock at a few Canadian retailers. Hows is the sound quality over aac bluetooth with iphone (11 pro max)?

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:06 PM Post #1,444 of 3,707
Looks like the BTR5 is finally in stock at a few Canadian retailers. Hows is the sound quality over aac bluetooth with iphone (11 pro max)?

My ES100 broke, and have been using my Ubtr as a backup (cheap, but dependable!).

I just missed the $75 US sale for another ES100, and I don't know when the Qudelix 5K will become available, so I started snooping around at other options.

The BTR5 wasn't on my radar at all, but I saw what you wrote above so I checked out the price. Nope, a bit too pricey for me. But then I made the mistake of reading more about it, and half an hour later the spontaneous BTR5 purchase was made LOL

I wish the battery lasted a bit longer, but apart from that, I think the BTR5 is going to make me very happy :)

Apr 28, 2020 at 4:09 PM Post #1,445 of 3,707
Got my BTR5 a day early and have been playing around with it and the app for the last hour or so. First impressions...
  • As has been mentioned, USB sounds better than Bluetooth, even LDAC
  • Other than volume, I actually don't notice much, if any, difference between balanced and single-ended; mildly annoyed that I spent money on a cable; whatever, I'll do a little more listening
  • The app is kind of awful; way too much going on and nothing is very intuitive, though the power/volume estimate is a neat feature; I'll spend more time with it before passing final judgment
  • I actually thought I was getting EQ to work over LDAC, but maybe something else was going on
  • Over USB I'm not missing my old DFR or first gen. X5+E12A; sounds pretty great!
  • Bluetooth sounds better than my Samsung S9, which is about what I was expecting and hoping for

Apr 28, 2020 at 5:40 PM Post #1,446 of 3,707

Mine was already loose but I solved that problem by putting a small strip of double sided tape on the inside of the DD case to keep the Btr5 in place.

Apr 28, 2020 at 6:06 PM Post #1,448 of 3,707
Got my BTR5 a day early and have been playing around with it and the app for the last hour or so. First impressions...
  • Other than volume, I actually don't notice much, if any, difference between balanced and single-ended; mildly annoyed that I spent money on a cable; whatever, I'll do a little more listening
What IEM/headphone/cable are you using for listening?

It can depend on the resolution of the headphone / IEM. It also can depend on the material. The power difference can play a minor or major role depending on the headphones.

My new (to me) SendyAudio Aiva's open up on 2.5mm vs 3.5mm on the BTR5 due to the increased power, and 2.5mm on my BTR3k is quite usable while 3.5mm isn't.

For my IEM's I upgraded to 2.5mm cables and longer listening is much cleaner and enjoyable than on 3.5mm - I've tried swapping back to the 3.5mm cables but I always end up back on 2.5mm.

Cables can have an effect too. For me going from stock to 16/8 core OFC / Silver on 3.5mm was an improvement, but moving from 3.5mm to 2.5mm end up retiring a bunch of those nice 3.5mm cables, the 2.5mm cables are the same as the 3.5mm cables except for the termination to 2.5mm

After listening on 2.5mm for a few days, try moving back to 3.5mm...it's subtle but for me it's a clear difference.

As another example of a subtle differences I've resolve recently. I was running 384k/32bit on my PC for my BTR5 (BTR3k is either 44.1 or 48k), even though my material was 44.1k/24bit (Amazon Ultra HD). To me the higher rate sounded like it was delivering more full sound, and 44.1k sounded sharp - not necessarily in a bad way, but the 394k/32bit sounded more full.

In the past few days, while listening on my SendyAudio Aiva's that "full sound" just sounded "bad", so I remembered to try switching my PC Sound Control Panel for my BTR devices down to the source material setting of 44.1k/24bit, and it was like night and day on the Aiva's- that "more full sound" as perceived on my IEM's / headphones previously was simply a veil of noise on the SendyAudio Aiva's!

Listening critically to audio is a long process of discovery...give it time.

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2020 at 9:52 PM Post #1,449 of 3,707
What IEM/headphone/cable are you using for listening?

It can depend on the resolution of the headphone / IEM. It also can depend on the material. The power difference can play a minor or major role depending on the headphones.

My new (to me) SendyAudio Aiva's open up on 2.5mm vs 3.5mm on the BTR5 due to the increased power, and 2.5mm on my BTR3k is quite usable while 3.5mm isn't.

For my IEM's I upgraded to 2.5mm cables and longer listening is much cleaner and enjoyable than on 3.5mm - I've tried swapping back to the 3.5mm cables but I always end up back on 2.5mm.

Cables can have an effect too. For me going from stock to 16/8 core OFC / Silver on 3.5mm was an improvement, but moving from 3.5mm to 2.5mm end up retiring a bunch of those nice 3.5mm cables, the 2.5mm cables are the same as the 3.5mm cables except for the termination to 2.5mm

After listening on 2.5mm for a few days, try moving back to 3.5mm...it's subtle but for me it's a clear difference.

As another example of a subtle differences I've resolve recently. I was running 384k/32bit on my PC for my BTR5 (BTR3k is either 44.1 or 48k), even though my material was 44.1k/24bit (Amazon Ultra HD). To me the higher rate sounded like it was delivering more full sound, and 44.1k sounded sharp - not necessarily in a bad way, but the 394k/32bit sounded more full.

In the past few days, while listening on my SendyAudio Aiva's that "full sound" just sounded "bad", so I remembered to try switching my PC Sound Control Panel for my BTR devices down to the source material setting of 44.1k/24bit, and it was like night and day on the Aiva's- that "more full sound" as perceived on my IEM's / headphones previously was simply a veil of noise on the SendyAudio Aiva's!

Listening critically to audio is a long process of discovery...give it time.
Oh yes, I know it can take a little while to start noticing the subtleties. :wink: Like I said, those were just first impressions and I don't doubt that my opinion may change over time.
I was listening on Westone UM Pro 50 with a FiiO LC-2.5B cable and the FiiO balanced–single-ended adapter when needed. The UM Pro 50 aren't hugely detailed, but they're certainly revealing enough to hear nuance and subtleties.
Anyway, I'm in no way upset that I didn't hear a difference between 2.5 and 3.5 outlets; more surprised since everybody was in agreement that 2.5 is better. If anything, I'd be somewhat relieved, since so far I prefer the stock Westone cable to the FiiO ,since it's lighter and more pliable. I really have no desire to go looking for esoteric cables that may or may not make a noticeable difference (and have even less desire to try and parse through those cable threads)... (I realize I sound like a grumpy old man... But I'd like you to know that I'm not that old yet.)

Interesting that you were able to hear a difference between 44.1 and an up-converted version of the same file. Sounds to me like there must be some software something-or-other (sorry, words are failing me right now. derp!) causing some sort of colorization. They should otherwise sound exactly the same if they're from the same file (if they're not from the same file, then that could be the reason). Impressive that the Aiva could pick it up!

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:06 PM Post #1,450 of 3,707
Oh yes, I know it can take a little while to start noticing the subtleties. :wink: Like I said, those were just first impressions and I don't doubt that my opinion may change over time.
I was listening on Westone UM Pro 50 with a FiiO LC-2.5B cable and the FiiO balanced–single-ended adapter when needed. The UM Pro 50 aren't hugely detailed, but they're certainly revealing enough to hear nuance and subtleties.
Anyway, I'm in no way upset that I didn't hear a difference between 2.5 and 3.5 outlets; more surprised since everybody was in agreement that 2.5 is better. If anything, I'd be somewhat relieved, since so far I prefer the stock Westone cable to the FiiO ,since it's lighter and more pliable. I really have no desire to go looking for esoteric cables that may or may not make a noticeable difference (and have even less desire to try and parse through those cable threads)... (I realize I sound like a grumpy old man... But I'd like you to know that I'm not that old yet.)

Interesting that you were able to hear a difference between 44.1 and an up-converted version of the same file. Sounds to me like there must be some software something-or-other (sorry, words are failing me right now. derp!) causing some sort of colorization. They should otherwise sound exactly the same if they're from the same file (if they're not from the same file, then that could be the reason). Impressive that the Aiva could pick it up!
The cables aren't expensive, I bought them from Amazon for about $20 for 8 core and $40 for 16 core, KB Ear sourced. I've also got some **** cables, also not expensive. They lay better, drape better, and sound better to me than the stock KZ / Blon / NICEHCK / etc cables.

It's also nice that those KBEAR cables come with various ends, so I can compare directly between 2.5mm vs 3.5mm (soon 4.4mm) using the same "wires" - different builds, but using the same wire. Their Amazon listings change based on stock, right now they've only listed MMCX and C-Pin (no 2-pin) and only 3.5mm in this listing:

KBEAR 16 Core Silver Plated Wire Earphones Upgrade Cable Earphone Replacement Earbuds Exchange Cable AudioContact Replacement Cable for ZSN ZS10 Pro ZSX AS16 A10 CA4 C12 (CPin 2.5mm)
https://www.amazon.com/Earphones-Earphone-Replacement-Exchange-AudioContact/dp/B07TW4VPCC

If you look closely they've got some typos in their MMCX listing - 3.5mm vs 2.5mm, but there's "more" 2.5mm entries than 3.5mm, so I will assume they really intend it to be a 2.5mm cable... I've gotten the wrong cable 2x - 2-pin instead of C-pin delivered - eventually I did get the right C-pin cable.

There are often multiple listings for these KBEAR cables on Amazon:

KBEAR 8 Core Silver Plated Copper 2 Pin 4 Pole Balanced Replacement Earphone Cable, HiFi in Monitor Earbuds Upgraded TRRS Cable Extension Cord for AS10 ZST ZSR ZS10 ZS6 ZS7 (2 PIN 2.5mm Plug)
https://www.amazon.com/Upgrade-Earphone-Monitor-Replacement-Extension/dp/B07RZY5C8D

KBEAR MMCX Earphone Cable, 8 Core Silver Plated Copper Balanced HiFi Detachable Extension Cord TRRRS 4 Pole Replacement IEM Wire for BGVP DM7 DMG TIN T3 T2 (MMCX 4.4mm Plug)
https://www.amazon.com/Detachable-Upgrade-Earphone-Replacement-Standard/dp/B07S6T8GC4

The SendyAudio "standard" cables are very nice too, but a bit more expensive:

SendyAudio Headphone cable (6N-OCC) for AIVA (1.5m)
https://shop.musicteck.com/products/sendyaudio-headphone-cable-6n-occ-for-aiva-4-4mm-plug-1-5m

SendyAudio Asura Pigtail Adaptor (7N-OCC) 2.5mmBAL male to 4.4mmBAL female
https://shop.musicteck.com/products/sendyaudio-asura-pigtail-adaptor-7n-occ-2-5-male-to-4-4-female

It's been fun discovering new things with the BTR5 / BTR3k... tomorrow my M15 and Blon BL-05's are scheduled to arrive, and so it begins again :)

Yup, there's extraneous data being "created" somewhere that's acting as a veil over the sound that the Aiva's show much more distinctly as been "unwanted" as compared to running with native source settings.

Originally I thought that should be the case - native cleaner than upscaled, but my previous headphones - IEM's and over the ear headphones - didn't expose it as "bad", instead the "noise" seemed to fill in the sound and make it seem "more" than it was on native settings. It was indeed "more", but it's not a good effect on the better resolving Aiva's.

Now I can go back and re-listen to the difference again with a new perspective. I might still "like it" with the more full sound on the rest of my headphones / IEM's, but maybe this time I'll know better what I am listening to and discern it differently.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 12:46 AM Post #1,451 of 3,707
For using with Campfire Audio Solaris, do you recommend getting a balanced cable? Since the output impedance of balanced output is ~2ohms and Solaris is very sensitive. It might affect the sound signature and reduce the bass vs. unbalanced output with 1ohm output impedance.

Apr 29, 2020 at 1:02 AM Post #1,452 of 3,707
For using with Campfire Audio Solaris, do you recommend getting a balanced cable? Since the output impedance of balanced output is ~2ohms and Solaris is very sensitive. It might affect the sound signature and reduce the bass vs. unbalanced output with 1ohm output impedance.
The BTR5 / BTR3k are low noise for me, and I don't hear noise on either the 3.5mm nor 2.5mm output... but, that's my own personal experience, YMMV. :)

I don't have anything low impedance to test, that might change, but it might be a while...

AFAIK all of these FiiO AMP's: M11 / M15 / BTR5 / BTR3k can exhibit noise during quiet / idle points when using low impedance headphones - with only the M11 Pro THX amp showing lower noise in "black spaces".

For me I've heard no noise in between passages nor without the source running, but then again I'm 62 and my high frequencies might be a bit down in sensitivity. It's not been a problem I've noticed with the BTR5 / BTR3k... perhaps the M15 arriving tomorrow will be different...

As with all audio perceptions your own physical characteristics, listening experience (mines 50+ years), susceptibility to sensitivity at certain frequencies, might have an effect on your own reference results. So it's best to give it a try yourself directly rather than rely on the observation of others.

The BTR5 / BTR3k are very low cost, as can be 2.5mm balanced cable upgrades, so you don't have a lot to loose, return the BTR5 / BTR3k / cables should you be disappointed with the results.

I'm also around fan bearing computers most / all of my day - until I turn everything off at night, so that also can make a big difference. My "noise ambient floor" might be much higher than your own.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2020 at 7:52 AM Post #1,453 of 3,707
Anyone know how to setting BTR5 to Native DSD Playback so there's no downsampling ?...

Just found out that the Music Center app from Sony has ASIO and WASAPI support, which means direct access to the DAC, with no plugins that are needed to be installed.

1588160910298.png

It also has DSEE HX which "upscales the sound quality of audio files, reproducing the clear high-range sound that is often lost."

Also, in contrary to the equalizer function, DSEE HX is available when using ASIO/WASAPI exclusive modes. If you're playing a CD/DSD file/files above 16 bit 44.1kHz, the function will not be available.

https://musiccenter.sony.net/en/instruction/inst013.php

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:09 AM Post #1,454 of 3,707
It also has DSEE HX which "upscales the sound quality of audio files, reproducing the clear high-range sound that is often lost.

The problem is, whatever is lost has never made it to the digital data in the first place, and thus whatever is "re"produced is what Sony engineer wants you to believe is there but never really did. So whatever DSEE HX did is not improving the SQ, but merely improvising SQ.

Apr 29, 2020 at 8:12 AM Post #1,455 of 3,707
The problem is, whatever is lost has never made it to the digital data in the first place, and thus whatever is "re"produced is what Sony engineer wants you to believe is there but never really did. So whatever DSEE HX did is not improving the SQ, but merely improvising SQ.

Sure, but for whoever likes to use that, it's also there in the Music Center app, that was the point :)

Edit: that was actually a secondary point, let's say. The main point is that Music Center can have direct access to the DAC, always playing the files at their sample rate.

DSEE HX can be turned off.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back