[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 16, 2020 at 8:44 PM Post #1,246 of 3,679
I've only used my 25w fast charger when I first got the BTR5 to top it off, but otherwise my PC or Note 10+ have been charging it while I listen on 3.5mm and on 2.5mm I've been trying to run on battery only after the BTR5 is topped off in charge. That lets me reduce the heat generation in the BTR5, but I'm probably being too aggressive - after running it overheated once I want to not do that again.

Even for my Note 10+ I don't use fast charging that often, as I don't wear down the battery enough to need a fast charge (below 60%), so I have it default to normal charging to keep the battery heat down in the Note 10+ as well.

Maybe you can find another charger that doesn't support fast charging to feed your Hiby R6 Pro to reduce the thermals when charging it too?
Ya it’s pretty interesting really. If I go USB-C from my Powerbank directly to the USB-C on the R6, it charges more slowly than the QC 3.0 port to USB-C. If I take it out of the case it’s mmm doesn’t get too hot

didn’t know that about the battery life.It’s going to be a pain in the a$$ to replace the battery on this thing :)

Mar 17, 2020 at 12:49 AM Post #1,247 of 3,679
Ya it’s pretty interesting really. If I go USB-C from my Powerbank directly to the USB-C on the R6, it charges more slowly than the QC 3.0 port to USB-C. If I take it out of the case it’s mmm doesn’t get too hot didn’t know that about the battery life.It’s going to be a pain in the a$$ to replace the battery on this thing :)
Yes, long term wear on lithium-ion batteries is directly affected by charging and discharging temperatures, and keeping cool can become critical to maintain expected capacity as well. Keep'em cool charging and discharging.

BTW, I ran into this notice from Hiby about the R6 Pro and permissions settings on Google services causing high battery usage and I thought I might share that with you. I realize it's "old", but coincidentally the new Samsung S20 series also has a similar issue solved by allowing more permissions for google services - I'm researching such tidbits for when my S20 Ultra arrives in a few weeks (hopefully). I know I am going to check the settings when I get mine, and after updates as well. There are so many little details to watch out for when tuning for the best battery life on Android.

HiBy Music, June 10, 2019 - To all users experiencing unusual battery drain on the R6 / R6pro on standby
https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/po...e-r6-r6pro-on-standbyour-in/1487231671419050/
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dhFddCY7CFEzyp98GlYQAcavHnPEXr3r/view

How to Fix Google Play Services Battery Drain on Android
By Robert Zak – Posted on Mar 15, 2020 in Android
https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-google-play-services-battery-drain-android/
https://www.androidpit.com/google-play-services-battery-drain-how-to-fix-it

And, it's not just permissions for google services, even unsupported characters in contact names causing Google Sync to fail and constantly retry will drain the battery. Those articles cover a bunch of possible sources and causes for the high battery drain on Android.

Last edited:
Mar 17, 2020 at 11:05 AM Post #1,248 of 3,679
That said.... the LDAC performance on the UP4 is *very* good. (I'm also not in this thread to knock the BTR5 - I just found it too big and fiddly and just not quite refined/simplistic for a mobile device, though I fully understand why some love it. I just didn't get on with it though I wanted to.)
Out of curiosity, what kind of headphone/IEM are you pairing with the UP4? I found the BTR5/ES100 to have way better sound than the UP4, but I'm wondering if I just picked a bad pairing?

Mar 17, 2020 at 11:43 AM Post #1,249 of 3,679
Yes, long term wear on lithium-ion batteries is directly affected by charging and discharging temperatures, and keeping cool can become critical to maintain expected capacity as well. Keep'em cool charging and discharging.

BTW, I ran into this notice from Hiby about the R6 Pro and permissions settings on Google services causing high battery usage and I thought I might share that with you. I realize it's "old", but coincidentally the new Samsung S20 series also has a similar issue solved by allowing more permissions for google services - I'm researching such tidbits for when my S20 Ultra arrives in a few weeks (hopefully). I know I am going to check the settings when I get mine, and after updates as well. There are so many little details to watch out for when tuning for the best battery life on Android.

HiBy Music, June 10, 2019 - To all users experiencing unusual battery drain on the R6 / R6pro on standby
https://www.facebook.com/hibycom/po...e-r6-r6pro-on-standbyour-in/1487231671419050/
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dhFddCY7CFEzyp98GlYQAcavHnPEXr3r/view

How to Fix Google Play Services Battery Drain on Android
By Robert Zak – Posted on Mar 15, 2020 in Android
https://www.maketecheasier.com/fix-google-play-services-battery-drain-android/
https://www.androidpit.com/google-play-services-battery-drain-how-to-fix-it

And, it's not just permissions for google services, even unsupported characters in contact names causing Google Sync to fail and constantly retry will drain the battery. Those articles cover a bunch of possible sources and causes for the high battery drain on Android.
wow thanks! I just posted a question on the R6 thread to ask them if this is still an issue and if I need to do anything. I did notice when I first got it that the battery would drop quickly

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:49 PM Post #1,250 of 3,679
Out of curiosity, what kind of headphone/IEM are you pairing with the UP4? I found the BTR5/ES100 to have way better sound than the UP4, but I'm wondering if I just picked a bad pairing?

All the phones in my sig, but most often with the Blons and Sonys recently. BTR5 sounded fine - really very similar to my ear (was just operation that bugged me). I've never had an ES100.

Mar 17, 2020 at 1:53 PM Post #1,251 of 3,679
If the BTR5 were any smaller my large hands might have trouble operating it. :)

That was part of my 'fiddly' nitpicking. I can operate the UP4 without looking at it. The wheel is especially well done. Again, the FiiO is very good, I just got on with the other.

Mar 18, 2020 at 6:23 AM Post #1,252 of 3,679
The "pop" issue on my btr-5 was not heat releated nor did it go away when I drove somewhere where there wasnt any other BT devices within 500m, also happens with all codecs and both output ports, also tried with 2 different transmitters. Unfortonately its from china ebay so prob no warranty.

Mar 18, 2020 at 7:31 AM Post #1,253 of 3,679
The "pop" issue on my btr-5 was not heat releated nor did it go away when I drove somewhere where there wasnt any other BT devices within 500m, also happens with all codecs and both output ports, also tried with 2 different transmitters. Unfortonately its from china ebay so prob no warranty.
FiiO should still support you through warranty repair, it's certainly worth a shot. If you don't think the company who sold it to you on ebay will support you, ask ebay for a resolution refund for non-working product. Here in the US ebay is pretty good about making good on the sale and if the product is bad - give them a call.

That's too bad there isn't a user level solution, and you aren't the first I've heard with the problem, so FiiO needs to get such failed units back for debugging... @FiiO

Mar 18, 2020 at 5:55 PM Post #1,255 of 3,679
Do you know if BTR5 will fast charge? Or is it limited to 500mA?
I hope for latter, as normally USB-C charger should give 500mA, unless device support fast charging...
I don't see any mention of fast charge on the BTR5 product page:
https://www.fiio.com/btr5

And the specifications (parameters) page lists this:
Charging Time≤1.5 h (DC 5V 500mA)Power InputRecommend DC 5V 500mA
https://www.fiio.com/btr5_parameters

And, I didn't notice any abnormal heat generation when I used my 25w PD charger on the BTR5.

Mar 19, 2020 at 3:55 PM Post #1,256 of 3,679
Hey, Folks,
Can someone please provide a walkthrough showing how to use the BTR5 as a wired DAC with an iPhone and the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter? I did get "44.1kHz" (rather than "AAC") to appear once in the BTR5 display but couldn't get any sound out of the balanced port using the Onkyo player app. Thanks!!!

Mar 19, 2020 at 5:02 PM Post #1,257 of 3,679
Hey, Folks,
Can someone please provide a walkthrough showing how to use the BTR5 as a wired DAC with an iPhone and the Apple Lightning to USB3 Camera Adapter? I did get "44.1kHz" (rather than "AAC") to appear once in the BTR5 display but couldn't get any sound out of the balanced port using the Onkyo player app. Thanks!!!
There should be an active USB connection if the display says 44.1kHz.

Did you verify the volume was turned up on both the iPhone and the BTR5? Can you get sound out of the 3.5mm single ended port via USB? Does the 2.5mm balanced port work via bluetooth?

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2020 at 12:47 PM Post #1,258 of 3,679
Yes, the balanced output works fine via Bluetooth, so that's not the issue. And I will try seeing if I can get sound out of the single ended port over USB. It was weird, 44.1 kHz appeared briefly in the display, but then I couldn't get it back. I will give it another shot. I should add that USB works fine out of my MacBook Pro. Thanks again for responding.

Mar 20, 2020 at 10:08 PM Post #1,259 of 3,679
Yes, the balanced output works fine via Bluetooth, so that's not the issue. And I will try seeing if I can get sound out of the single ended port over USB. It was weird, 44.1 kHz appeared briefly in the display, but then I couldn't get it back. I will give it another shot. I should add that USB works fine out of my MacBook Pro. Thanks again for responding.

Have you disable charging on the BTR5?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back