[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Mar 12, 2020 at 9:17 PM Post #1,216 of 3,670
Has anyone else had any problems with the 2.5mm jack on their BTR5?

I have one of the first unit here in the forum and pretty much only used the 2.5mm output, so far it is perfectly fine.

My guess is the 2.5mm socket of your unit probably at some point getting too much mechanical stress and the soldering joint is on its way out. Better send it back for repair.

I have a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5SE adaptor, which basically just cancels the output from R- and L- before it arrives in the SE 3.5mm connector. Is it worth using it for my earphones, besides the extra output power from balanced? In another words, will the dual-dac make a difference?

It DOES NOT cancel the R- and L-, but short-circuit them.That adapter will only serve to damage whatever 2.5mm output you are trying to connect to. Please throw it away for your own good.

For detail explanation, see the link in my signature.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 10:59 AM Post #1,218 of 3,670
Would you be able to compare it with ZX507 in terms of pure sound quality?

The ZX507 I had was volume capped so don't know if it affected sound quality too but I'd say its no better SQ than the BTR5, just a different flavour with the Sony sound tuning.

If I didn't want to use with my phone and not using demanding headphones/IEM's I'd choose the ZX507 (uncapped version) as my DAP because its also a lovely design/weight/size.
If you want high-end sound on a budget and best BT LDAC audio to-date then the BTR5 is the winner.

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:06 PM Post #1,219 of 3,670
The ZX507 I had was volume capped so don't know if it affected sound quality too but I'd say its no better SQ than the BTR5, just a different flavour with the Sony sound tuning.

If I didn't want to use with my phone and not using demanding headphones/IEM's I'd choose the ZX507 (uncapped version) as my DAP because its also a lovely design/weight/size.
If you want high-end sound on a budget and best BT LDAC audio to-date then the BTR5 is the winner.
Great insight

Mar 13, 2020 at 12:35 PM Post #1,220 of 3,670
... I have a 2.5mm male balanced to 3.5SE adaptor, which basically just cancels the output from R- and L- before it arrives in the SE 3.5mm connector. Is it worth using it for my earphones, besides the extra output power from balanced?...
I thought that using an adapter like this was dangerous and could lead to burning out the amplification device because you're basically shorting out the positive and negative through the shared ground? I'm hardly an expert though, so take this with a grain of salt.

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 12:36 PM Post #1,221 of 3,670
Hi im quite new here but i had so many daps and iems and i bought this dac because my note 10+ doesn't have jack. Sound of this little fella is very good and i like how it sounds with my dn2000j but i don't understand what are those filter options used for.
Don't worry too much about the filter options. They make a very, very subtle impact on sound. I've heard that the non-symmetrical ones can lead to less fatigue on long-term listening sessions, but many can't tell the difference even on longer sessions.

Mar 13, 2020 at 6:20 PM Post #1,222 of 3,670
Dear user,

You have tried to turn off the charge option in the BTR5 as well, right? Did you try another usb adapter? We will report to the engineer to see whether they have other idea about this problem.

Best regards

@FiiO Please advise on BTR5 discovery issue. I've asked Aliexpress official store (where I purchased it), they answered with "we will test first and contact you again", 2 weeks later no answer, and support e-mail, doesn't answer as well.

When FiiO BTR5 is on, connected to my main device, ANY other device can discover and connect to my BTR5, control it and play audio to it.
And it's not in pairing mode, tried resetting, clearing, but nothing fixed it, it was on 1.0.6. firmware from factory. This can't be normal, can it? Is my device or it's current firmware faulty?

Is there a way to make the BTR5 undiscoverable unless Pairing mode is activated?

Last edited:
Mar 13, 2020 at 7:59 PM Post #1,223 of 3,670
@FiiO Please advise on BTR5 discovery issue. I've asked Aliexpress official store (where I purchased it), they answered with "we will test first and contact you again", 2 weeks later no answer, and support e-mail, doesn't answer as well.

When FiiO BTR5 is on, connected to my main device, ANY other device can discover and connect to my BTR5, control it and play audio to it.
And it's not in pairing mode, tried resetting, clearing, but nothing fixed it, it was on 1.0.6. firmware from factory. This can't be normal, can it? Is my device or it's current firmware faulty?

Is there a way to make the BTR5 undiscoverable unless Pairing mode is activated?
Do you have another device you can pair it to? A temp fix would be to allow it to simultaneously pair to a 2nd device.

Mar 13, 2020 at 8:11 PM Post #1,224 of 3,670
No it doesn’t work with iPhone. Got mine a few days ago and really enjoying it so far.

Tried it with the Apple camera kit / USB adapter and it says that the device uses too much power and so doesn’t work.

Sounds good enough to me over Bluetooth however so no too disappointed.
I ran into this with my ES100. When I set it to “self powered mode” it ran off its own battery and the problem went away

I didn’t get the Fiiio... yet... but maybe there is a setting like this

hope that helps

Mar 14, 2020 at 3:22 PM Post #1,226 of 3,670
Guys, I've received my first post-COVID19 China order - Feb 3rd order, March 4th shipment, March 13th delivery in Norcal USA - of the DD stamped red/black version of the BTR5 case.

This DD BTR5 case runs cool with a large open "front" - top to bottom open section - both to view the display on top of the gap and the rest of that open space to allow cool air flow over the BTR5. This DD version material is very flexible, thin, and light. The bottom cutout for the USB-C cable is a bit tight for my "Nintendo Controller" USB-C cable so I pushed the cable head through the opening and then pushed down the BTR5 to click it in. The thin red material on the sides makes feeling for and using the buttons very easy - no problem finding the volume up / down, power and "next/start/stop" button.

As far as I can see the all black FiiO stamped version has a small cutout for the display only, but that version does have cut off corners to allow air flow - see both versions at the Hifigo site, aliexpress site is the official DD store:
https://hifigo.com/products/leather...th-adapter-cover-black?variant=31570124603441
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000496005023.html

For now I've got Charge=On back as I've recently switched to using the 3.5mm output - less power with less heat generation observed - to drive 3.5mm headphones and a Blon BL-03 with the stock 3.5mm cables.

BTW, does anyone know where to get 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables specifically for the square connector on the Blon BL-03 (and BL-05) earpieces? So far I am only finding 3.5mm cable options. I'd really like to switch the Blon BL-03's over to balanced 2.5mm as I have the rest of my IEMs.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 4:08 PM Post #1,227 of 3,670
Guys, I've received my first post-COVID19 China order - Feb 3rd order, March 4th shipment, March 13th delivery in Norcal USA - of the DD stamped red/black version of the BTR5 case.

This DD BTR5 case runs cool with a large open "front" - top to bottom open section - both to view the display on top of the gap and the rest of that open space to allow cool air flow over the BTR5. This DD version material is very flexible, thin, and light. The bottom cutout for the USB-C cable is a bit tight for my "Nintendo Controller" USB-C cable so I pushed the cable head through the opening and then pushed down the BTR5 to click it in. The thin red material on the sides makes feeling for and using the buttons very easy - no problem finding the volume up / down, power and "next/start/stop" button.

As far as I can see the all black FiiO stamped version has a small cutout for the display only, but that version does have cut off corners to allow air flow - see both versions at the Hifigo site, aliexpress site is the official DD store:
https://hifigo.com/products/leather...th-adapter-cover-black?variant=31570124603441
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000496005023.html

For now I've got Charge=On back as I've recently switched to using the 3.5mm output - less power with less heat generation observed - to drive 3.5mm headphones and a Blon BL-03 with the stock 3.5mm cables.

BTW, does anyone know where to get 2.5mm TRRS balanced cables specifically for the square connector on the Blon BL-03 (and BL-05) earpieces? So far I am only finding 3.5mm cable options. I'd really like to switch the Blon BL-03's over to balanced 2.5mm as I have the rest of my IEMs.
Maybe this one could fit in.

https://fiio-shop.de/kabel/665/fiio-rc-78b
or this one
https://www.fiio.com/productinfo/9514.html

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 5:09 PM Post #1,228 of 3,670
Thank you for the suggestions and links. :)

Unfortunately the standard 2-pin and QDC connectors don't exactly fit / work on the Blon BL-03 (05), I'll try to summarize briefly the specific combination of requirements for the Blon earpiece connector, and what has been tried as work-arounds:
The Blon earpiece connector is square, so it won't fit into a round QDC connector. Sanding round the connector corners on the Blon earpiece has worked to use a QDC cable, but you could take off too much material - or it could wear over time - and the cable might not be connected solidly. The pins may or may not be the right length to fit well into the Blon socket - or connected in the correct phase, I haven't tried this work around. Here's a Youtube video on how to modify the Blon earpiece connector: Link

A 2-pin cable will "fit", but the pins are without a connector - so the whole affair sticks out leaving the Blon connector uncovered. Worse yet the straight-out design of a 2-pin connector sticks the cable straight up instead of the Blon curved designed connector which drapes the cable over the ears.

A TFZ cable connector which is also squarish inside like the Blon connector looks like it would work, but the TFZ when connected doesn't go all the way in and sticks out as well.

This video shows both 2-pin and TFZ type "Blon replacement cable" solutions and how they don't quite fit "exactly" right: Link

There are 3 versions of Blon replacement cable I've found, all with 3.5mm, no option for a 2.5mm balanced version:
https://www.amazon.com/Earphone-Replacement-****-Earphones-Blon-03/dp/B081H1RHZ5
https://www.amazon.com/****-Earphones-Earbuds-Earphone-Replacement/dp/B081GZV9FM
https://hifigo.com/products/blon-bl-03-4-core-single-crystal-copper-upgraded-cable

Here's a review for one of the 3.5mm **** Blon replacement cables: Link

It would be nice if this **** 16-core cable - or maybe an 8-core cable - were offered with Blon earpiece connectors:
https://hifigo.com/products/****-16...-5-4-4mm-upgrade-cable?variant=31205718786097

A 16 core cable might be a bit heavy for the Blon-03 to hold in, but moving from a Medium to a Large foam tip has anchored in the Blon BL-03 for me nicely.
So far I actually like the stock black woven cable the Blon BL-03 comes with, but it's 3.5mm unbalanced, and I'd prefer a 2.5mm balanced cable for the BTR5.

Last edited:
Mar 14, 2020 at 7:36 PM Post #1,229 of 3,670
Do you have another device you can pair it to? A temp fix would be to allow it to simultaneously pair to a 2nd device.
Yes, I have, when 2 devices are actively paired, 3rd cannot be connected, but once one of them is disconnected any device is free to connect, sometimes I have to press any button on BTR5 before it allows getting connected to, but that's all the connectivity control it has.

Do You own a BTR5 as well? Is it acting the same way?

Mar 15, 2020 at 2:17 AM Post #1,230 of 3,670
Yes, I have, when 2 devices are actively paired, 3rd cannot be connected, but once one of them is disconnected any device is free to connect, sometimes I have to press any button on BTR5 before it allows getting connected to, but that's all the connectivity control it has.

Do You own a BTR5 as well? Is it acting the same way?
I no longer have it, so unfortunately I cannot test. I never noticed an issue, but that doesn't mean it wasn't there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back