[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 28, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #1,126 of 3,679
I'd like to get a monolith just for the dsp/eq system. I had a chance to get a like new one off monolith for 200 bucks, but I hesitated and it sold. So do you think the monolith sounds better than the xdsd ?

So you're feeding the btr5 BT and outputting the 3.5 to the monolith and just using the amp section?
To answer your first question, it's difficult. I honestly bought the Monolith JUST to use with my LCDi4, due to the DSP. Beautiful combination, and smacks around any cipher cable. Haven't used it as a wired DAC with other phones and compared to xdsd wired. BTR5 serving as LDAC Bluetooth to the line in of the Monolith. This is a beautiful combination. Best Bluetooth I've heard.

Feb 28, 2020 at 5:54 PM Post #1,127 of 3,679
To answer your first question, it's difficult. I honestly bought the Monolith JUST to use with my LCDi4, due to the DSP. Beautiful combination, and smacks around any cipher cable. Haven't used it as a wired DAC with other phones and compared to xdsd wired. BTR5 serving as LDAC Bluetooth to the line in of the Monolith. This is a beautiful combination. Best Bluetooth I've heard.

Yes I even think the BT out of balanced on the btr5 sounds better than the xdsd bluetooth. I preferred the more neutral sig out of the btr5 USB too. I like the treble. Might have to check out the monolith soon.

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:02 PM Post #1,128 of 3,679
Yes I even think the BT out of balanced on the btr5 sounds better than the xdsd bluetooth. I preferred the more neutral sig out of the btr5 USB too. I like the treble. Might have to check out the monolith soon.
So, I use to feel the same, as I felt the XDSD via Bluetooth was missing to much up top due the APTX lacking in the upper registers. Turning on the 3d which is essentially a treble boost changed that pretty dramatically for me. I like the staging and overall character of xdsd more. With 3d off, btr5 for sure as you get more sense of the who music because of the ability of LDAC to show more of the freq spectrum. As I stated earlier, btr5/Monolith combination is relegating my XDSD to Nintendo Switch or car duty.

Feb 28, 2020 at 6:13 PM Post #1,129 of 3,679
So, I use to feel the same, as I felt the XDSD via Bluetooth was missing to much up top due the APTX lacking in the upper registers. Turning on the 3d which is essentially a treble boost changed that pretty dramatically for me. I like the staging and overall character of xdsd more. With 3d off, btr5 for sure as you get more sense of the who music because of the ability of LDAC to show more of the freq spectrum. As I stated earlier, btr5/Monolith combination is relegating my XDSD to Nintendo Switch or car duty.

I thought that boost sounded kind of off, so I never used it. Maybe I would like the dirac either.

Feb 29, 2020 at 1:38 AM Post #1,130 of 3,679
Hello everyone!
Reading the thread I realized that the balanced output uses both Saber DACs and has more power than the 3.5 output.
At home I have K701 modified with balanced cable, but when I'm on the move I use more "portable" headphones (like the V-Monk or Koss KSC75).
I ask: is there an adapter from 2.5 balanced out to 3.5 SE out that allows you to take advantage of the balanced port even for SE headphones? Would you get an improvement in sound or not?
Or is it better to buy a pair of headphones with balanced cable?
Which model do you suggest that are NOT IEM and that they are "portable"?

Feb 29, 2020 at 3:05 AM Post #1,131 of 3,679
I ask: is there an adapter from 2.5 balanced out to 3.5 SE out that allows you to take advantage of the balanced port even for SE headphones? Would you get an improvement in sound or not?
Or is it better to buy a pair of headphones with balanced cable?...

For these questions, read the link in my signature regarding SE vs. Balanced.

Feb 29, 2020 at 4:17 AM Post #1,132 of 3,679
For these questions, read the link in my signature regarding SE vs. Balanced.

Thank you. Read your post.
So there is any adapter or cable to connect a single-ended headphone to a balanced source...

So remains my other question.
Which headphones with balanced cable do you suggest that are NOT IEM and that they are "portable"?

Feb 29, 2020 at 6:58 AM Post #1,133 of 3,679
So there is any adapter or cable to connect a single-ended headphone to a balanced source...

Which headphones with balanced cable do you suggest that are NOT IEM and that they are "portable"?
Hi.
There're some questions about it.

1. What do you want when asking about portable? Small folding mechanism for transport or a small headphone size for mobile use? Full size over ear or small on ear?
2. What is your max budget for the "portable" headphone?

Feb 29, 2020 at 8:27 AM Post #1,134 of 3,679

Which headphones with balanced cable do you suggest that are NOT IEM and that they are

Audeze LCD-1, campfire audio cascade, - grados, and audio technica, akg have some smaller models that can run balanced.

Like Chris above said, depends on how much you want to spend, and do you want closed or open back- usually more portable cans are closed etc. I have meze classics 99 and I consider them pretty light and comfy.

There are a ton of choices for balanced cans.

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:07 AM Post #1,135 of 3,679
Hi.
There're some questions about it.

1. What do you want when asking about portable? Small folding mechanism for transport or a small headphone size for mobile use? Full size over ear or small on ear?
2. What is your max budget for the "portable" headphone?

Audeze LCD-1, campfire audio cascade, - grados, and audio technica, akg have some smaller models that can run balanced.

Like Chris above said, depends on how much you want to spend, and do you want closed or open back- usually more portable cans are closed etc. I have meze classics 99 and I consider them pretty light and comfy.

There are a ton of choices for balanced cans.

Thank you to both for your answer.
My favorite "portable" headphone are clips-on, as the KSC75.
A few years ago I bought the fantastic Yuin G2A, but they broke.
Unfortunately these days headphones of this type are no longer on the market, apart from the Koss.
Furthermore, it doesn't seem to me that there are balanced clips-on.

Yes, I'm looking for small on ear, no full size, for mobile use.
I like the V-Monks (good earbuds for the bucks!), but it seems to me that the version with balanced cable is no longer on sale.
Budget? Not so high: around 50€.
I think maybe it's not worth shopping just to take advantage of the balanced output of the BTR5.
Maybe it's better at this point to choose Shanling UP4 ...

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:29 AM Post #1,136 of 3,679
Unfortunately these days headphones of this type are no longer on the market, apart from the Koss.

I like the V-Monks (good earbuds for the bucks!), but it seems to me that the version with balanced cable is no longer on sale.
I think maybe it's not worth shopping just to take advantage of the balanced output of the BTR5.

That budget limits you quite a bit. But they're are a lot of decent cans in the 150 dollar range, but most of those aren't portable. And headphones and iems are going to give you the best improvement overall.

There are a ton of iems in that price range and decent balanced cables can be had at a good price. I recommend inner fidelity and the 'headphone' list to check some stuff out.

https://theheadphonelist.com/headphone-review/

https://www.innerfidelity.com/

Feb 29, 2020 at 10:41 AM Post #1,137 of 3,679
Thank you for the answer.
The iems have two problems for me.
The first is that they isolate too much from external noise: using headphones when cycling, they are not very suitable!
The second is that ... I can't tolerate them! After a while, my ears get annoyed.

Feb 29, 2020 at 11:53 PM Post #1,139 of 3,679

The UP4 goes for $99 and has dual DAC mode for unbalanced 3.5mm connection. Balanced, however, is notably better on the BTR5. If you want the best SQ, then the BTR5 via balanced is the way to go. If you're OK with unbalanced 3.5mm, the Shanling UP4 for $50 - $60 less is a good alternative. It's also has a nice tactile volume wheel which also acts as a multi-function button, which I personally prefer.

My Take:

USB = BTR5
Balanced = BTR5
Unbalanced = UP4
Controls = UP4

Mar 1, 2020 at 12:43 AM Post #1,140 of 3,679
If you are going to use 3.5mm single-ended output only, I am more inclined to suggest Hiby W3 or even UP2. UP4 is kinda problematic.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back