[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 7, 2020 at 9:19 AM Post #826 of 3,678
...And I don't personally like the fact that the fiio eq neuters the volume- I know it's for clipping I just prefer more of the Sony, Cowon implementation.

I don't own any Cowon but I'll venture a guess that it is similar to that of Sony - that is, the DAP is internally limited to be lower in volume (and thus lowerin dynamic range) at first all the time, then they allow the EQ to set freely to max. While it might make EQ looks like it doesn't clip, the actual fact is that you can't get the max output even when you are not using EQ. FiiO does the opposite, only limits the dynamic range / volume when EQ is engaged but allows the user to get the full volume when no EQ is used. To me, it is just the two faces of the same coin, neither is a better solution than the other.

Feb 7, 2020 at 3:06 PM Post #827 of 3,678
Just tried BTR5 with my new Noble K10U with SE cable. Bloody hell :astonished: Talk about resolving and wide sound stage!

Need to get a balanced cable but already sound awesome via SE.

20200207_200729.jpg

Be hard decision to choose between these and my SE846's each day !

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2020 at 6:18 PM Post #828 of 3,678
Just tried BTR5 with my new Noble K10U with SE cable. Bloody hell :astonished: Talk about resolving and wide sound stage!

How's the comfort compared to the Shures. They look a bit bulky. I'm sure that they will sound amazing balanced.

Feb 8, 2020 at 2:35 AM Post #830 of 3,678

20200207_200729.jpg

Very nice! I had that very set up and kinda regret selling the K10s.

Feb 9, 2020 at 9:57 AM Post #832 of 3,678
The btr5 is sold out on Amazon again. And the sellers that have it on ebay are inflating the price :frowning2: Kind of reminds me (to a lesser extent) of when Nintedo rolls out a new system.

B&H photo has it but it's 150.00. I paid 100 dollars after coupon. I think the price was 119.00. I guess Fiio doesn't set prices, it's all by supply and demand.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2020 at 12:19 PM Post #834 of 3,678
The btr5 is sold out on Amazon again. And the sellers that have it on ebay are inflating the price :frowning2: Kind of reminds me (to a lesser extent) of when Nintedo rolls out a new system.

B&H photo has it but it's 150.00. I paid 100 dollars after coupon. I think the price was 119.00. I guess Fiio doesn't set prices, it's all by supply and demand.

They seem to be in stock at HeadphoneBar up here in Canada if anyone is looking. I’ve bought from them several times and they are great.
https://headphonebar.com/products/fiio-btr5

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:39 PM Post #836 of 3,678
Thinking of getting this one, to use on my S9 with BL-03 or/and Blon B8's. But: I can get the BTR3 second hand for about €35. Is the BTR5 worth the extra money? Will be using Tidal MQA for the most of it...

Yes, BT reception is better and the sound is seriously good. Plus if you want to run bigger cans you can with balanced. I have blon 3 and it's an awesome pairing. It sounds like a top end dap out of balanced. 3.5 is good too, but balanced sounds really nice.

Bigger stage, tons of detail and pin point layring/positioning like a better dap. It scales good with better equipment too and very low noise.

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:45 PM Post #837 of 3,678
Yes, BT reception is better and the sound is seriously good. Plus if you want to run bigger cans you can with balanced. I have blon 3 and it's an awesome pairing. It sounds like a top end dap out of balanced. 3.5 is good too, but balanced sounds really nice.

Bigger stage, tons of detail and pin point layring/positioning like a better dap. It scales good with better equipment too and very low noise.
Alright! Thanks! Also: which balanced cable do you use for the Blons?

Feb 9, 2020 at 3:46 PM Post #838 of 3,678
Thinking of getting this one, to use on my S9 with BL-03 or/and Blon B8's. But: I can get the BTR3 second hand for about €35. Is the BTR5 worth the extra money? Will be using Tidal MQA for the most of it...
BTR3 nothing special and I had BT issues.
BTR5 on par with a great DAC/AMP and best BT.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back