[FiiO BTR15/BTR5 2021/BTR5]Bluetooth DAC and Headphone Amplifier Discussion & Impressions Thread
Feb 9, 2021 at 9:19 AM Post #2,416 of 3,670
I'm using now EQ in LDAC with Qudelix 5K and it's perfect fine for boost a bass on earbuds for example I use it with VE Monks+, and nothing change in clarity of sound after EQ them on bass, 31, 63Hz.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #2,417 of 3,670
^this is not perfect solution, I prefer built in EQ in device memory, because I pair it with few devices also with PC. FiiO is a joke with this EQ for LDAC.

They're not alone, which is weird. Sony's headphones don't EQ over LDAC either, and that's Sony's codec. I'm wondering if there's something within LDAC itself.

Feb 9, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #2,418 of 3,670
I tried the EQ in aptx mode and when you activate it, it's like a thick blanket falling over the sound and all presets suck... The sound is much cleaner without it. I don't know if it's a bad implementation of EQ but on every machine that I have tried with a built-in EQ it was crap.
I think what you're hearing is "preamp" being applied. When you switch the EQ on, the volume is lowered so that you don't get digital clipping. Louder always sounds clearer, so when EQ is on and preamp is applied it sounds kinda muffled by comparison. The original X5 did the same thing and it drove me nuts.

That being said, it does sound muffled to me, not just quieter... But then again, the X5's always sounded muffled, too, until one day I was listening and thinking things sounded great, only to realize later that the EQ was still on.

Feb 9, 2021 at 11:58 AM Post #2,419 of 3,670
I have been quite satisfied with my BTR5 for some time.
I like the sound I get with this little DAC / AMP, but I have very big problems with bluetooth.
I use the BTR5 with two devices: my main smartphone (an old Honor 8 Pro) and a smartphone that I use only as a music player (an old Samsung Galaxy A5 with a custom rom). Especially with the Honor (which only supports aptX HD) during audio playback there are frequent interruptions, even if smartphone and DAC are in the same jacket pocket!
With the Galaxy (which supports LDAC) the interruptions are much less, but still they are present every now and then.
Surely the Honor has never shone for the goodness of wireless connections, but I wonder if the BTR5 also has a point to improve in the bluetooth connection.

Feb 9, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,420 of 3,670
I use my BTR5 with my OnePlus 6T and do not have issues with Bluetooth connectivity. I can leave my phone on my dining room table and walk into my garage to get to the fridge and stay connected w/ LDAC. Approx 15' (as crow flies) with 1.5 walls and kitchen fridge in between. I think Bluetooth connectivity issues have a lot to do with phone and their transmitting capabilities and of course "wireless" congestion.

I have many of the various BT devices (BTR3 / ES100 / Shanling UP4 / BTR5 / Q5) and while EQ with LDAC would be great on the BTR5 - I find more often then not - I don't use it. Kind of a purist in a sense. I understand tailoring the music for your IEM / Headphones but is that not an artifact of the sound signature from the IEM / Headphones and not necessarily a "problem" because of the BTR5? Yes I know - personal taste - I did not buy the BTR5 for the EQ.

Last edited:
Feb 9, 2021 at 3:30 PM Post #2,421 of 3,670
I use my BTR5 with my OnePlus 6T and do not have issues with Bluetooth connectivity. I can leave my phone on my dining room table and walk into my garage to get to the fridge and stay connected w/ LDAC. Approx 15' (as crow flies) with 1.5 walls and kitchen fridge in between. I think Bluetooth connectivity issues have a lot to do with phone and their transmitting capabilities and of course "wireless" congestion.

I have many of the various BT devices (BTR3 / ES100 / Shanling UP4 / BTR5 / Q5) and while EQ with LDAC would be great on the BTR5 - I find more often then not - I don't use it. Kind of a purist in a sense. I understand tailoring the music for your IEM / Headphones but is that not an artifact of the sound signature from the IEM / Headphones and not necessarily a "problem" because of the BTR5? Yes I know - personal taste - I did not buy the BTR5 for the EQ.

As far as BT signal goes, mine's given me fits with a Pixel 4, which should theoretically be pretty burly with the ol' BT transmission. I just picked up an S21 Ultra so we'll see what changes.

Feb 9, 2021 at 3:34 PM Post #2,422 of 3,670

I have a Samsung S9 and if I leave my phone on the kitchen table and walk into the next room— about 10' as the crow flies, with only one wall— I'll get dropouts to the point that it's unlistenable. Granted, I live in a fairly densely populated area (not anything like New York, though), so maybe that has something to do with it.
Heck, if I'm not standing still, I'll get dropouts if the BTR5 is in my front pocket and my phone is in the back pocket.

Feb 9, 2021 at 4:08 PM Post #2,423 of 3,670
Suburban living here, no big crowds, not in an apartment building. I have about the same range with the S21. One wall, no closed doors, about 10' and it's done for. My other BT headsets (Jaybird Vista, Sony 1000XM3) let me go practically out to the back alley before they start cutting out.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:04 AM Post #2,425 of 3,670
Just received my BTR5 and thought I’d check the firmware. The device shows v2.1 but it appears the latest firmware to download is v2.0. Is that correct? Am I looking in the wrong place?

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:15 AM Post #2,426 of 3,670
Just received my BTR5 and thought I’d check the firmware. The device shows v2.1 but it appears the latest firmware to download is v2.0. Is that correct? Am I looking in the wrong place?
I received mine a few days ago and I'm in 2.1 as well.

Feb 11, 2021 at 3:37 AM Post #2,427 of 3,670
I have been quite satisfied with my BTR5 for some time.
I like the sound I get with this little DAC / AMP, but I have very big problems with bluetooth.
I use the BTR5 with two devices: my main smartphone (an old Honor 8 Pro) and a smartphone that I use only as a music player (an old Samsung Galaxy A5 with a custom rom). Especially with the Honor (which only supports aptX HD) during audio playback there are frequent interruptions, even if smartphone and DAC are in the same jacket pocket!
With the Galaxy (which supports LDAC) the interruptions are much less, but still they are present every now and then.
Surely the Honor has never shone for the goodness of wireless connections, but I wonder if the BTR5 also has a point to improve in the bluetooth connection.

I had an issue if I was paired to more than a single device. Would get interruptions. When I only had 1 device paired to it. no issues. its almost like its trying to constantly switch between devices. Very annoying that there isn't a way to pick a device, I also have an ifi xcan and it has no issues if paired to multiple devices at once.

Feb 12, 2021 at 8:15 AM Post #2,428 of 3,670
Anyone knows why Amazon Music HD under win 10 see BTR5 only capable of 24/44.1 and not 24/192?

Feb 14, 2021 at 1:13 PM Post #2,430 of 3,670
Anyone knows why Amazon Music HD under win 10 see BTR5 only capable of 24/44.1 and not 24/192?
Because there's no exclusive mode setting for the BTR5, i guess.
What's your settings on the Win 10 mixer?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back