FiiO Balanced Armature IEMs Discussion & Impressions Thread
Sep 13, 2022 at 3:11 PM Post #91 of 122
Well, they are not bass canons 🤣
Try the balance tips, the white ones.
Oh I am not expecting bass cannons, I hate bass cannons it's just certian parts of soem tracks I can hear the bass guitar but i'd like it a bit more forward. Other tracks are perfectly fine. I think it is more a recording thing. I might try the white ones but I am so accustomed to memory foam tips. I may play around for now i'm just enjoying them with the memory buds.

Sep 13, 2022 at 3:18 PM Post #92 of 122
Definitely a recording thing. Fly Away by dreamstoria bass sounds amazing. Infact i'm hearing things I did not even hear before at the back of the track. This track has actually made me fall in love with them even more.

Last edited:
Sep 13, 2022 at 4:30 PM Post #93 of 122
So I have them and have been listening to them for a bit all I can say is wow! My EQ sounds a bit harsh on the treble, I may tinker with it or just do what I’m doing now and use the D1s normal preset which I believe is flat. I do have to have gain on high and the amp quite high, this is a preference thing, everything feels kind of boxy until I get to a certain volume. I do have the D3 volume down about 30 notches though, due to how much easier to drive these are.

Also why did it have 3 pairs of memory foam tips all the same size? Right now I am using the supplied tips and I do have some sonicfoams, but any memory bud recommendations would be great.
Also, the FiiO genuine check site seems to not work. I press the button but nothing happens. I am sure these are but being from amazon and their price I may just ping FiiO an email.

The only negative I have right now, and this may be recording dependent. Sometimes I would like the bass to be more present, the bass boost on my Mont Blanc adds a bit too much, I know cowon has an EG so I may play about with it. Sometimes it is perfectly present and is not too heavy on the bass like the 7hz, but there are other times where I feel like it disappears to the back too much. That being said I put on the double bass drum beast that is heaven shall burn's combat and I was stunned with how great it sounded and how I could still hear the cymbals (which sound spot on) and so on despite bass being quite present. I completely understand what you said about being very technical sounding but still musical. These are a special pair of IEMs, I think I just need to get used to BA bass compared to planar.

I have also tried it with some symphonic metal by one of my favourite bands Versailles, and despite the bass issue I mentioned, for the most part it is still very present especially on the solos and sounds absolutely fantastic, it is so smooth! What really impresses me though is all the little details I am hearing. Maybe I could hear them with my P1s but things are sticking out in a way I believe my P1s were missing, the detail retrieval on the FA7s is absolutely stunning. I love all the micro details I'm hearing with the bass, I feel the chord shaking a lot, I hear the screeching up the fretboard. My mind is quite blown.

I then tried it with a variety of tracks some like Mardelas' Eclipse to see how it deals with Marinas vocals which go from very soft and gentle all the way up to screeching falsetto highs and it sounds amazing. I also tried some acoustic Yui and my god acoustic tracks particularly stand out with these IEMs, there's a lovely warmth that isn't too warm, you feel every chord vibrate, the timbre is pretty much absolutely spot on. It almost teleports you inside (great soundstage).

I don't intend to get too technical as it is above my ability, but what I can say is everything feels smooth, timbre is extremely good which for me is extremely important, highs are great and seem to have a bit of cut off to stop the harshness. Detail retrieval is nuts, nothing is fighting with each other lows,mids and highs live in harmony 90%+ of the time. The soundstage seems fairly wide, and I know the D1 isn't as good a fit as the D3 for a pair with a soundstage like this. I am very happy with these, they sound different to the P1s which is expected given the difference in tech used, where the 7hz just sounded like a mostly inferior P1 to me. I think these will be my main pair easy, I just need to try and get a little bit more bass out of them maybe (although I feel it is a recording issue most likely).
I am writing this while listening to On and On by arch enemy and the level of balance everything has, the cymbals which usually sound very harsh do not sound that harsh at all, nothing is fighting with each other it really is quite amazing.

Overall, the only weak point I have right now, which can be fixed and may not even be their fault is the bass not being quite as present as it should be, I’m talking the tiniest bit though. However, the timbre is fantastic, lows sound fantastic, so do mids highs and trebles. A lot of things that sound quite harsh, still sound harsh but it has taken sharpness of it and made it much more pleasant. These are a great all rounder, and by that I don’t mean a jack of all trades master at none either. I think these are very masterful when it comes to timbre, balance and overall tuning. In my mind a truly great pair can be used for everything, and everything is enjoyable. Which should be the case if they are accurately reproducing the music. These definitely fit that description. I definitely do not see anything being better at this price point unless you hit maybe the £900 mark, and even then, given the masterful tuning on these I think there would be a trade off. I think these are the ultimate IEMs when a budget is not unlimited but still relatively high.

Even now as I finish of writing this smiling while listening to random tracks, the detail I am hearing in the left channel’s guitar while so much going on is absolutely nuts. FiiO have done an amazing job. Even on poorly recorded tracks where the cymbals are pretty much noise, they aren't quite noise here, it is doing it's damn hardest to fix the faults of the track and has removed so much harshness and noise.
Great writing, thanks for sharing your impressions.
The bass has reference type quantity, not emphasized and is the classic BA bass so don't expect it to sound visceral and full bodied.
In exchange you are getting some excellent technicalities.

Sep 13, 2022 at 5:16 PM Post #94 of 122
Great writing, thanks for sharing your impressions.
The bass has reference type quantity, not emphasized and is the classic BA bass so don't expect it to sound visceral and full bodied.
In exchange you are getting some excellent technicalities.
Yea, that's the conclusion I have come to after more listening. It is not quite full bodied but the other technacalities are an easy trade off. THESE ARE GREAT

Sep 14, 2022 at 11:40 AM Post #95 of 122
I find
Will do. I could do with some advice on EQing tbh. I used a guys settings for my UE900s back in the day as he had the same earphones and player. I use a plenue D1 thinkign of going to a D3 when they get back in stock in the UK. Any EQ advice would be much appreciated. I guess I can use normal on my plenue with these.
Hi, I found it quite interesting you asked for EQ advice before even hearing them? I seem to be reading this more and more on HeadFi in many threads, but I'm noticing a growing number of members EQ their IEMs to sound a certain (similar) way. Especially newer members.

I'm not criticising as there's bound to be benefits to EQ for some enthusiasts on specific IEMs. I've never been interested tbh, as I like the variety of building a collection. If I'm not happy with a set's sound, I sell. My personal opinion, is I don't see the fascination of having a preferred signature in mind and tuning new gear to sound as close to it via EQ.

Sorry for derailing the thread and PLEASE don't think I'm having a go or a pop at you. I just read your review and it's very well written.

Sep 14, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #96 of 122
I find

Hi, I found it quite interesting you asked for EQ advice before even hearing them? I seem to be reading this more and more on HeadFi in many threads, but I'm noticing a growing number of members EQ their IEMs to sound a certain (similar) way. Especially newer members.

I'm not criticising as there's bound to be benefits to EQ for some enthusiasts on specific IEMs. I've never been interested tbh, as I like the variety of building a collection. If I'm not happy with a set's sound, I sell. My personal opinion, is I don't see the fascination of having a preferred signature in mind and tuning new gear to sound as close to it via EQ.

Sorry for derailing the thread and PLEASE don't think I'm having a go or a pop at you. I just read your review and it's very well written.
I completely understand where you are coming from and thing you are far from being rude. I'm only asking before listening just for friendly advice like if you hear a bit too much sibilance you could try X. As it turns out I'm using normal on the cowon and it is fine but I find the EQ I do have just brings everything forward and louder without really losing any detail.

It's more of an intellectual curiosity than actually feeling like I need to do it. Anything I get invested in I find myself just wanting to really know more. I've recently developed a little bit of an interest in frequencies, not sure why really. Still loving the IEMs may try the bass tips though. I've heard people say don't use X memory tip and use y with other buds and I've always wondered if it's just a placebo effect or if there's more to it and why.

Nov 7, 2022 at 2:31 AM Post #100 of 122
I have the possibility to buy the FA7S or the FA9 practically new at the same price. After removing the most up-to-date accessories of the FA7S and considering only the sound quality of the two, which one should you buy? We've always talked about the fabulous midrange of the FA9, but does the FA7S reach the same level?

Nov 7, 2022 at 3:43 AM Post #101 of 122
I have the possibility to buy the FA7S or the FA9 practically new at the same price. After removing the most up-to-date accessories of the FA7S and considering only the sound quality of the two, which one should you buy? We've always talked about the fabulous midrange of the FA9, but does the FA7S reach the same level?
FA9 is more focused on midfreq.
FA7s is a technical superb relaxed presentation.

I see the 7s more all-rounder, and better build. Maybe the fit is better on the 9s, but thats subjetive

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:05 AM Post #104 of 122
FA7S is extended but this is the balanced armature kind of Bass.
More technical and lean than a dynamic driver without the same impact.
I already own the FD5s which offer great satisfaction in the low range.
However in some cases determined by my mood, I don't like to listen through the harman target but I look for a more neutral and relaxed sound without compromising the details, so I am aiming for one of these two solutions (FA9 or FA7s).
The important thing is that the low range does not bleed too much in the mid range as it doesn't work well with the genre I listen to, which is why in the past I got rid of the FA7 that I hated them for precisely this reason, as in addition to being too relaxed, they had too warm bass and few details in the upper mid.

Nov 7, 2022 at 9:37 AM Post #105 of 122
I already own the FD5s which offer great satisfaction in the low range.
However in some cases determined by my mood, I don't like to listen through the harman target but I look for a more neutral and relaxed sound without compromising the details, so I am aiming for one of these two solutions (FA9 or FA7s).
The important thing is that the low range does not bleed too much in the mid range as it doesn't work well with the genre I listen to, which is why in the past I got rid of the FA7 that I hated them for precisely this reason, as in addition to being too relaxed, they had too warm bass and few details in the upper mid.
The FA7S is the opposite situation.
It is neutral but not relaxed as it is a fast paced earphone with great timing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back