Fiio Andes (E07K) VS. Fiio E17: What's the difference, and how does it sway the amateur audiophile?
Jan 23, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #31 of 76
it would be more then enough, i had the e17 and wish i never sold it. I to have the ath-m50s and it powered it plenty. If you are going to use the e17 alot on your computer then get it, otherwise save the 50 dollars and get the e07k it has just as power, they share the same amp but different dacs.

Feb 14, 2013 at 10:26 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:
I own both and to me the e07k is warmer sounding while the e17 is noticeably clearer and more revealing in comparison. Both using westone 3s and usb from macbook with same volume. E07k is more portable in that it has much longer battery life. Its also compatible through usb out with android phones. Other than that there is no reason to take the e07k over the e17 in my opinion.

Ok, I have now both in my hands, because I bought the Fiio E07K from amazon to try to connect it via USB with my note 2. I would keep this one if it is capable of this. 

Is this feature for sure different from E07K and E17? Should I be able to connect it to the Note 2? I couldn't connect any of them during the evening but I'll keep trying. Just wondering if somebody got to connect through USB any of them to either a SIII or a Note 2, and was able to get sound from spotify.

I got the E17 pretty cheap and I know is better. If neither of them is able to connect to the Note 2 I will keep the E17.

Feb 14, 2013 at 11:21 PM Post #34 of 76
Quote:

Ok, I have now both in my hands, because I bought the Fiio E07K from amazon to try to connect it via USB with my note 2. I would keep this one if it is capable of this. 

Is this feature for sure different from E07K and E17? Should I be able to connect it to the Note 2? I couldn't connect any of them during the evening but I'll keep trying. Just wondering if somebody got to connect through USB any of them to either a SIII or a Note 2, and was able to get sound from spotify.

I got the E17 pretty cheap and I know is better. If neither of them is able to connect to the Note 2 I will keep the E17.

If you're looking for devices that will work with the S3 or Note 2, definitely check out the 'Android phones and USB DACs' thread here. Absolutely invaluable for figuring out what will work with these and what won't. Looks like the E07k and E17 are both problematic with Samsung, but there are a LOT of choice available. FWIW, I got a chance to listen to an iBasso D-Zero for a few minutes last week, and I think it's absolutely killer for the price-- especially if you listen to rock, as it really does have an impressive amount of punch and drive. 

Another option (that you'll hear discussed at length in the link above) is to download the 'USB Audio Recorder PRO' app (here). It's not a magic cure-all, but it does enable functionality on some devices that otherwise wouldn't work. Just be advised, it's definitely not the most user friendly application for our needs, and doesn't play MP3s for now. The developer seems to be pretty awesome and responsive to feedback, so that might change, but were I in your shoes, I'd just get one of the units that's been confirmed to work and enjoy a simpler life :wink:

Best of luck, man!!

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:37 AM Post #35 of 76
Thank you for the quick answer!! The iBasso D-Zero is on my list as well, but I would prefer to have one of these working for the EQ feature and all of that. If not, I can wait for the Fiio E18... Let´s see if I find a little bit more of info. I still have the chance to give them back.

Feb 15, 2013 at 12:56 AM Post #36 of 76
Gotcha. Good luck with whatever direction you go!! I'd keep an eye on that Android USB DAC thread though... there are a few guys chomping at the bit to see if the E18 will work with the S3/N2, and if it does, I'd bet money they'll be among the very first to find out and post it :wink:

Feb 15, 2013 at 9:35 PM Post #37 of 76
Quote:

If you still have both, would you mind comparing the SQ for me?
Whilst I have another amp. & DAC [HP-P1] that I use for home, commuting on transport [bus, train, plane, etc.] and similar uses, it's not the best for walking around or using when I want to go out late [not necessarily something - due to size and worried about it getting damaged at late hours when I may be careless!] with.

So for a bash-around rig., I was considering either the E07K and E17. Whilst I will be using the DAC functionality, I wouldn't be using the optical or coaxial functionality of the E17.
I'd like a comparison on sound quality alone.

If you could provide a comparison - if it's still possible -, I'd be most grateful.
Thanks.

Feb 16, 2013 at 4:32 PM Post #39 of 76
Quote:
I'll do it for sure! You'll have to wait until Monday as I'm traveling right now, but it's not a problem at all. ^^

Thanks.

FYI, a comparison for the use as an amp. + DAC over USB with a computer would be useful, as well (as a general LOD -> 3.5mm iDevice comparison).

I really appreciate this.
Thanks, Ashade.

Feb 21, 2013 at 2:17 PM Post #41 of 76
Ok, there we go with my impressions.

To be honest, it is almost everything said about this two devices. They are very very similar in every single aspect. I tried them with all my headset ( sennheiser  px100-I & px100-II, mx800, bose AE2 (yes, I have these, it was a gift ^^) and the Jaycar Pro Monitor.

In the sound stage, the E17 is slightly clearer and neutral, while the E07K is slightly warmer specially in the bass. It is not something you can easily notice, as I said, they are very similar, and with the EQ option you can set up your preference in this aspect. As I said, if you are searching for sound quality, I would definitely go with the E17, it is a little bit clearer and it supports more sample rates and bit depth (24/96 vs 24/192), although as some people says, if you feel the difference because of this, it is probably in your head.

Regarding the design, again they are pretty similar. The size is exactly the same or almost, as well as the LED display. The E07K comes with a plastic case that fits as well in the the E17. There is a carry soft bag in both of them, excessively big in my opinion, but useful for traveling. I probably prefer the E07K over the E17 because of the lateral buttons (this is a personal preference) and that frontal plastic panel that is very elegant in my opinion. The E07K is definitely prettier.

Regarding the firmware, you have more options in the E07K. The main differences are that the E07K recognize the input automatically (this is a little bit annoying in the E17) and that you have an auto display shut off configuration that avoids the LED display to burn (you can manually turn the screen off with the hold button in both devices).

Regarding the inputs, bot of them has the mini USB input as well as the mini jack input. The E07K has a double mini jack output while the E17 replaces one of those with a SPDIF that I personally never used, but that might become useful in some cases.

As closing words I would say that if you are using the device mainly as an amplifier I would go with the E07K if the amplifier power is enough for you but if the main purpose is to use the DAC, the extra ports of the E17 plus the extra sound clarity is definitely the way to go, even more if you are thinking in the E09K combo upgrade. In my personal case, I think I am going to move to another concept as I mainly use them with my iMac, my Lenovo Yoga and my Galaxy Note II, in any of those cases the amplifier doesn't make any sense to me as the output volume is pretty good for all of my headphones (I rarely reach half of its power even with a negative amplification), and the prebuilt DAC quality satisfies me enough as well. The LED display and the EQ option are nice but I have EQ options in all of those devices, and I miss the analog potentiometer for setting up the gain. On top of that, none of them work with my Galaxy Note II loosing the main purpose of them.

I hope this helps somebody to decide.

Feb 21, 2013 at 9:09 PM Post #43 of 76
Quote:
When you say sound stage is clearer, do you mean separation or bigger?

Definitely separation, sorry if it wasn´t clear. Although as I said, the difference is very subtle at least in my opinion.

I forgot to mention, the difference in battery life is not a deal-breaker for me. It is going to last always more than any of the players I would use for both devices. It is so long I wouldn´t really care.

Feb 22, 2013 at 9:40 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

So, the difference really here is the slightly upgraded amp in favor of the E17? And does it give a slightly more warm sound to the E07K due to the AMP chip difference? Also, since the DAC chips are the same and the AMP chip difference is negligible, this seems like a no brainer at the price difference ($89 for the E07K "Andes" vs $139 for the E17 "Alpen") It improved on the E7 via higher sampling rates and power output?

~Kami

@kamikaziH2Omln , please let me know where we can get $89 for the E07K "Andes".  Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back