FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Jul 6, 2018 at 11:56 AM Post #571 of 803
The ES100 plays in a different league, not surprisingly as it’s way more expensive. Dual AKM dac, balanced output, an amazing app to set very little detail of the thing, from cross-feed to buffer size, to digital filters of the dac, amazing eq, etc etc, the app (android and iOS) as well as the hardware itself is amazing. Plus upgradable firmware, earsonics has just announced that this device will get ldac support via a firmware upgrade in a few months when the certification with Sony is through. The overall support is amazing, example, some people didn’t like that the device powers on when connected to a usb charger. So the firmware (and app) was updated to allow setting this to your liking. The ceo of earsonics is active on headfi and pays close attention to users requests and input. It sounds really really good...

I have high hopes for the BTR-3 from Fiio but the ES100 doesn’t make it easy, it is a tough competititor.

One ES100 feature that intrigues me is the equalizer in the app. I'm getting tired of using dedicated EQ apps for iOS, which have limited media sources, and operational issues. My questions:
  1. Is the equalizer implemented in the ES100 hardware, or just in the app? In other words, does it act as a *global* (all apps) equalizer for all phone output through the ES100?
  2. Does the app need to be active for the EQ to work, or is it just configuring it on the ES100?
  3. Is built-in EQ something we are expecting from the BTR3 and/or BTR5?

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #573 of 803
One ES100 feature that intrigues me is the equalizer in the app. I'm getting tired of using dedicated EQ apps for iOS, which have limited media sources, and operational issues. My questions:
  1. Is the equalizer implemented in the ES100 hardware, or just in the app? In other words, does it act as a *global* (all apps) equalizer for all phone output through the ES100?
  2. Does the app need to be active for the EQ to work, or is it just configuring it on the ES100?
  3. Is built-in EQ something we are expecting from the BTR3 and/or BTR5?

Ok 1) yes global for music streaming. Not for voice/talking.

2) app doesn’t need to be active. The settings are saved in the device and stay like this until changed. No matter if the app is there or not or the device is used with a different source (it supports two simultaneously but only only playing sound from one) so it’s reallly versatile.

Manual can be found here: http://radsone.com/EarStudio/EarStudio_Manual.pdf

1F22736F-BCBE-4601-8289-1C5111E3D427.png

3) very good question.

4) the other thing I forgot to mention: will the btr3 also work as a USB DAC like the ES100 when used on a PC/Mac or Android/ iOS device via OTG? The es 100 can be configured to not charge when connected to a data usb connection and only charge when a pure charger is connected. Quite nifty.

Please all subsequent questions for the ES100 via PM or in the ES100 thread - I feel bad highjack Ong this thread with so much talk about a different product. Apologies for that.

Cheers.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 1:52 PM Post #574 of 803
Ok 1) yes global for music streaming. Not for voice/talking.

2) app doesn’t need to be active. The settings are saved in the device and stay like this until changed. No matter if the app is there or not or the device is used with a different source (it supports two simultaneously but only only playing sound from one) so it’s reallly versatile.

Manual can be found here: http://radsone.com/EarStudio/EarStudio_Manual.pdf

3) very good question.

4) the other thing I forgot to mention: will the btr3 also work as a USB DAC like the ES100 when used on a PC/Mac or Android/ iOS device via OTG? The es 100 can be configured to not charge when connected to a data usb connection and only charge when a pure charger is connected. Quite nifty.

Please all subsequent questions for the ES100 via PM or in the ES100 thread - I feel bad highjack Ong this thread with so much talk about a different product. Apologies for that.

Cheers.
Thanks a lot! cant find the oficial thread of this ES100, could you posit here?
=D

Jul 6, 2018 at 1:55 PM Post #575 of 803
Jul 6, 2018 at 4:41 PM Post #577 of 803
The Radsone Ear Studio ES100 plays in a different league, not surprisingly as it’s way more expensive. Dual AKM dac, balanced output, an amazing app to set very little detail of the thing, from cross-feed to buffer size, to digital filters of the dac, amazing eq, etc etc, the app (android and iOS) as well as the hardware itself is amazing. Plus upgradable firmware, earsonics has just announced that this device will get ldac support via a firmware upgrade in a few months when the certification with Sony is through. The overall support is amazing, example, some people didn’t like that the device powers on when connected to a usb charger. So the firmware (and app) was updated to allow setting this to your liking. The ceo of radsone is active on headfi and pays close attention to users requests and input. It sounds really really good...

I have high hopes for the BTR-3 from Fiio but the ES100 doesn’t make it easy, it is a tough competititor.
Ill wait til the final price of the BTR3 is released, i guess the ES100 double its price in my country but have a lot of pros, the buttons, analog volume, battery, and dual dac are keepers. Also since the BT implementation from Fiio seems something to polish, i guess i will let this BTR3 pass and wait for the ES100 or a revision from fiio with the BTR5
Thanks for the info!

Jul 6, 2018 at 4:53 PM Post #578 of 803
I've found hearsay from some CanJam reports that the BTR3 will support aptX-LL. Is that true? That would be another significantly differentiating feature, provided their RF implementation makes it reliable.
Just ignore rumors and wait for the final product announcement and the official specs by FiiO. Nobody here will be able to confirm or deny these claims with any credibility.

aptX Low Latency is basically pointless in most HiFi environments anyway. Most phones and other devices compensate well for video lag when using Bluetooth, even if you're using SBC or AAC. I'd rather they save the licensing cost for a codec like this and instead focus on codecs that actually provide improved audio quality quality, like aptX HD or LDAC.

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #579 of 803
Cheers.

You said what needed to be said though :)

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:40 PM Post #580 of 803
Just ignore rumors and wait for the final product announcement and the official specs by FiiO. Nobody here will be able to confirm or deny these claims with any credibility.

aptX Low Latency is basically pointless in most HiFi environments anyway. Most phones and other devices compensate well for video lag when using Bluetooth, even if you're using SBC or AAC. I'd rather they save the licensing cost for a codec like this and instead focus on codecs that actually provide improved audio quality quality, like aptX HD or LDAC.
I imagine that latency compensation is decently supported in modern phones, especially considering that some are wireless-only. What about TV monitors that lack built-in BT transmission? There are aptX-LL adapters available, but those interface via optical cables, and are thus not video-aware. Even Roku Private Listening (Wi-Fi) routinely gets out of sync.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:09 PM Post #581 of 803
Aptx LL benefits games the most.
Some people are lucky and don't have any audio latency issues with their device and their games. But a lot of people do.
Video is a hit or miss with everyone. But for those that have not tried aptx, don't knock it until you experience it first hand.
I will agree that it's pointless for music listening, but for anything that needs to sync video and audio, aptx LL works.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 7:14 PM Post #582 of 803
My concern about all these bluetooth dacs, is why the hell is there no Mic passthrough options? I would love to continue using the mic that's built into my IEMs or the VModa Boom Pro I use for my headphones. The built-in mic is great for using with headphones that don't have mics, but it would be great to get to keep using the mic I already am. I doubt its hard to have a switch that flips between the input of the one on the device to the feed coming from 3.5mm jack. Would save so much hassle, and clipping it to my tshirts always looks and feels aweful. It has been like that since the Soundblaster E3 that I started using years ago, and its still a problem.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:18 PM Post #583 of 803
Even the Low Latency variant of aptX is too slow for fast games like FPSs, Racing, etc. And which game consoles even support aptX Low Latency?

Re: Headsets... These Bluetooth receivers with HQ DACs and amps are aimed at people who use them with HQ earphones/IEMs or headphones. Those usually don't come with mics or in-cable remote controls. I doubt there will be many products that will support three-pole headsets and a "mic pass-through". I get your point, but that's just not the target audience and probably never will be.

Jul 6, 2018 at 7:34 PM Post #584 of 803
Even the Low Latency variant of aptX is too slow for fast games like FPSs, Racing, etc. And which game consoles even support aptX Low Latency?

Re: Headsets... These Bluetooth receivers with HQ DACs and amps are aimed at people who use them with HQ earphones/IEMs or headphones. Those usually don't come with mics or in-cable remote controls. I doubt there will be many products that will support three-pole headsets and a "mic pass-through". I get your point, but that's just not the target audience and probably never will be.

I understand, its just inconvenient since my go to IEMs are the OnePlus Icons and other IEMs that have built in mics, and its placement is just awkward, but again, I understand. JUst wish it was an option.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back