FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Jul 11, 2018 at 3:59 AM Post #588 of 803
May not currently.

Best regards

Fiio,
"May not currently" can be interpreted in several different ways.
Are you saying that the BTR3 may not work as a USB dac like the ES100?
If that is what you meant, what are the chances that it may work as a USB DAC like the ES100? Is that even one of the target goals of the BTR3, or not?
Please clarify.
Thank you.

Jul 11, 2018 at 4:02 AM Post #589 of 803
FYI, the ES100 just received LDAC Support via firmware update....

Jul 11, 2018 at 7:00 AM Post #590 of 803
Fiio,
"May not currently" can be interpreted in several different ways.
Are you saying that the BTR3 may not work as a USB dac like the ES100?
If that is what you meant, what are the chances that it may work as a USB DAC like the ES100? Is that even one of the target goals of the BTR3, or not?
Please clarify.
Thank you.
Dear friend,

That means we will try to add this function for the BTR3. But we could not promise currently. :frowning2:

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Jul 12, 2018 at 11:24 AM Post #591 of 803
i've just got my fiio btr-1

the sound was good for bluetooth even on par with fiio k1

i play it with mdr 7510 sony , bluetooth aac one plus6 with fiio btr1 and i am impressed by the sound

planning to recab the cable and glue it to mdr 7510 so i can get a good bluetooth headphone

36983031_10214309631307495_2765260555466833920_o.jpg

Attachments

• Btr1.jpg
    Btr1.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jul 12, 2018 at 1:17 PM Post #592 of 803
I wonder what is audio latency of BTR1 when it's connected to Bluetooth 4.0 source (normal SBC mode)?

I have tried to watch movies using my android TV box and connecting BTR1 to it. However the audio is not in sync and is significantly behind the video. Fortunately, the app I use to play movies allows to enter audio offset delay in milliseconds, however I wonder what value should I be using?

Another question, is it possible to turn off the LED? I like to listen to music in full darkness and the LED is irritating. I would certainly prefer the LED to emit for 3 seconds after the last action and then turn off.

Jul 12, 2018 at 3:43 PM Post #593 of 803
I wonder what is audio latency of BTR1 when it's connected to Bluetooth 4.0 source (normal SBC mode)?
Even if you knew the exact number of the delay caused by the BTR1, you wouldn't be able to correct the overall delay, which also includes the transmitter. I'd recommend to use a music video (where you know that it's as perfectly synced as you can tell using your equipment) as reference, then try to compensate the delay using your app. You can start with increments of 50 or even 100 ms, then when you see and hear that you're near a good sync, use smaller numbers to get to a value that completely compensates the delay. Then remember that value and use it whenever you're watching stuff using the BTR1.

Occasionally movie or TV releases from online sources are slightly out of sync. Most of the time your brain is fixing that all by itself, but once you've trained it to pay attention to A/V sync, it can become very annoying, because you're always playing around with the delay settings for the first 2 minutes of whatever you're watching. :ksc75smile:

Another question, is it possible to turn off the LED? I like to listen to music in full darkness and the LED is irritating. I would certainly prefer the LED to emit for 3 seconds after the last action and then turn off.
I'm pretty sure we would have heard of that possibility in this thread before, if it was possible. But who knows, maybe FiiO will surprise us with some special trick. If you don't need the indicators that the LED provides (like battery, if you're not charging your BTR1 regularly anyway), I'd suggest to just put a tiny piece of tape over the LED. Or maybe just place it somewhere, where the LED can't disturb you? There should be some simple options...

Jul 12, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #594 of 803
Even if you knew the exact number of the delay caused by the BTR1, you wouldn't be able to correct the overall delay, which also includes the transmitter. I'd recommend to use a music video (where you know that it's as perfectly synced as you can tell using your equipment) as reference, then try to compensate the delay using your app. You can start with increments of 50 or even 100 ms, then when you see and hear that you're near a good sync, use smaller numbers to get to a value that completely compensates the delay. Then remember that value and use it whenever you're watching stuff using the BTR1.

Occasionally movie or TV releases from online sources are slightly out of sync. Most of the time your brain is fixing that all by itself, but once you've trained it to pay attention to A/V sync, it can become very annoying, because you're always playing around with the delay settings for the first 2 minutes of whatever you're watching. :ksc75smile:

I'm pretty sure we would have heard of that possibility in this thread before, if it was possible. But who knows, maybe FiiO will surprise us with some special trick. If you don't need the indicators that the LED provides (like battery, if you're not charging your BTR1 regularly anyway), I'd suggest to just put a tiny piece of tape over the LED. Or maybe just place it somewhere, where the LED can't disturb you? There should be some simple options...

I'm using mxplayer and Kodi. I have tried to play with the values of +50 to +300ms and just seems to be unable to nail it. Also, in these players it is always going into the menu, apply new value of the delay and then go back to watching. I guess an app for android that would allow to change the value by pressing a key while watching would be tremendously better, probably with some special video that would be suitable for such a test.

I would like to see the LED, but only for about 1-3 seconds after any action. Yes, I still would like to have the LED while charging, so that I'll know when charging is complete.

The LED seems to be pretty bright, I think even if I'll cover it with some tape, the light will still bleed.

Jul 12, 2018 at 6:05 PM Post #595 of 803
I'm using mxplayer and Kodi.
Let's start with Kodi, it couldn't be much simpler: Use any sort of keyboard for your Android Box, plug one in via USB or use a remote control app with a keyboard. During playback, simply press the "a" key. A small popup appears with a slider, you can use the cursor keys of the keyboard to decrease or increase the audio delay in 25 ms increments. This works in real-time during playback, so you immediately see/hear the effect. This should enable you to "nail it" easily. Not sure, if Kodi remembers this setting when you play a different file. If not, then enter the delay somewhere in the audio settings as default.

With MX Player it's very similar. Follow the steps described on the following site, the process is almost identical to Kodi: You enable a popup during video playback, which lets you adjust the delay instantaneously. https://www.techzac.com/sync-audio-video-mx-player-android/

I have tried to play with the values of +50 to +300ms and just seems to be unable to nail it.
Keep on trying. With the methods above, it should be very easy to find the right area first, then fine tune it. I haven't tried it before, but I'm assuming that you haven't gone far enough. 300 ms doesn't sound like a lot, with all the Bluetooth buffering involved. You should hear, if the +300 ms improve things a bit, it's almost 1/3 of a second.

Also, in these players it is always going into the menu, apply new value of the delay and then go back to watching. I guess an app for android that would allow to change the value by pressing a key while watching would be tremendously better, probably with some special video that would be suitable for such a test.
Yeah, well, I don't know what you've been doing that you didn't find those easy ways to adjust the delay using the exact players you have... Good news: You don't need any new apps. Like I said before, a music video, ideally a live music video would work well. If you see a drummer playing, you'll definitely know, if the audio isn't synced. Maybe just download a video of your favorite drummer from YouTube, quality doesn't matter for this task, only that audio and video are in sync. There are also test videos on YouTube, if you search for "audio video sync" or similar. Some of them might be useful.

I would like to see the LED, but only for about 1-3 seconds after any action. Yes, I still would like to have the LED while charging, so that I'll know when charging is complete.

The LED seems to be pretty bright, I think even if I'll cover it with some tape, the light will still bleed.
We'll have to wait for a reply from FiiO then. And the LED is very bright indeed. There's tape that will easily cover it up completely, though, like black insulating/electrical tape (the kind for bigger cables, not the thin stuff) or duct tape with a certain thickness. Or use multiple layers of any tape, if one layer doesn't do the job. Well, maybe avoid transparent tape, you'd need a lot of layers using that. :wink:

Jul 12, 2018 at 7:22 PM Post #596 of 803

I have tried to watch movies using my android TV box and connecting BTR1 to it. However the audio is not in sync and is significantly behind the video. Fortunately, the app I use to play movies allows to enter audio offset delay in milliseconds, however I wonder what value should I be using?

I too have noticed latency in video viewing with my Windows PC and Roku-powered TLC smart TV. Perhaps aptX-LL would be of benefit in the BRT3 and/or BTR5. And no, not for gaming...for PC and TV video. It seems to be marginally acceptable with AAC on iOS devices.

On the PC, Bluetooth A/V latency is noticeable, and worse on Netflix than on Amazon Prime Video (using Google Chrome). I installed the Dell aptX Bluetooth audio stack for my Lenovo Yoga 720 ac-8265 internal adapter. I couldn't really perceive the difference in fidelity between SBC and aptX on my FiiO µBTR, though I did see diminished range with aptX, with increased cutouts or "seeking beeps" indicating other paired devices. That said, range is not much of an issue when considering video latency, because, well...duh.

As for LED indicator brightness, I'm very familiar with that. Blue LEDs have attained eye-searing brightnesses over the years, mostly because of their role in producing white light in lighting applications, when employed with phosphors. I purchased a set of LED-blocking decals of various sizes a while back, and they've helped quite a bit with bringing down the ambient "blue indicator pollution" in my living room and bedrooms: https://www.amazon.com/LightDims-Original-Strength-Electronics-Appliances/dp/B01BZBBITE

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:35 PM Post #597 of 803
Let's start with Kodi, it couldn't be much simpler: Use any sort of keyboard for your Android Box, plug one in via USB or use a remote control app with a keyboard. During playback, simply press the "a" key. A small popup appears with a slider, you can use the cursor keys of the keyboard to decrease or increase the audio delay in 25 ms increments. This works in real-time during playback, so you immediately see/hear the effect. This should enable you to "nail it" easily. Not sure, if Kodi remembers this setting when you play a different file. If not, then enter the delay somewhere in the audio settings as default.

With MX Player it's very similar. Follow the steps described on the following site, the process is almost identical to Kodi: You enable a popup during video playback, which lets you adjust the delay instantaneously. https://www.techzac.com/sync-audio-video-mx-player-android/

Keep on trying. With the methods above, it should be very easy to find the right area first, then fine tune it. I haven't tried it before, but I'm assuming that you haven't gone far enough. 300 ms doesn't sound like a lot, with all the Bluetooth buffering involved. You should hear, if the +300 ms improve things a bit, it's almost 1/3 of a second.

Yeah, well, I don't know what you've been doing that you didn't find those easy ways to adjust the delay using the exact players you have... Good news: You don't need any new apps. Like I said before, a music video, ideally a live music video would work well. If you see a drummer playing, you'll definitely know, if the audio isn't synced. Maybe just download a video of your favorite drummer from YouTube, quality doesn't matter for this task, only that audio and video are in sync. There are also test videos on YouTube, if you search for "audio video sync" or similar. Some of them might be useful.

We'll have to wait for a reply from FiiO then. And the LED is very bright indeed. There's tape that will easily cover it up completely, though, like black insulating/electrical tape (the kind for bigger cables, not the thin stuff) or duct tape with a certain thickness. Or use multiple layers of any tape, if one layer doesn't do the job. Well, maybe avoid transparent tape, you'd need a lot of layers using that. :wink:

Jul 13, 2018 at 1:48 PM Post #598 of 803
Very good reply, thank you.

I don't have bluetooth keyboard around, but I got bluetooth mouse. Would it be possible to map "a" button's action to something on the mouse or on a remote control? My android box got a remote control obviously and I remember I could map brightness increase to arrow up on my remote. Don't remember whether it was in Kodi or MX Player though.

About LED, well, the intensity wouldn't matter much for as long as it would turn on for 2-3 seconds after being powered up and after a press of a play/volume buttons. Do you think it's necessarily for the light to be constantly on?

Overall, my list of wishes for BTR1 is:
1) LED for 2-3 seconds, the RED LED could be dimmer and be constantly on during charge.
2) When I press volume up it seems it decreases the volume for a half a second or saw. Pretty annoying.
3) When the juice is about to run out the volume will decrease and back to normal for about 5 minutes which is pretty annoying and meaningless. Maybe 1-2 times it would be ok, then it should run normally till juice will be completely over.
4) Even though it is a remote by itself, it still would be nice that whenever I plug TRRS IEM with remote that the buttons would work.

If these would be corrected, it would be a pretty perfect solution, as I get sound quality better than that of Iphone 4's which is known for quite good SQ. I also boost the SQ by using Bongiovi DSP, and BTR1 is still better.

Jul 14, 2018 at 9:46 AM Post #599 of 803
hi @FiiO I have an S8 (oreo, LDAC compatibility) Is the BTR3 configurable to work in LDAC as default? or is there a way to "tell it"

Let me explain why my question. I have the BT-RC cable, which every time i turn on, the S8 uses the APTX codec, which by bad circumstances like bad implementation of the BT in the RC-BT, my body and rf noise, in APTX mode the music shouts of like every second in direct sunlight and like every 5 secs anywhere else, and HAVE to change the codec in the S8 in developer options to AAC (less bandwidth).
Im hoping that since the BTR3 could be more in front of me, and potentially have better implementation, i could use it without a problem. NOW my issue is if the BTR3 will have like "default" codec to connect with.
BTW, you should make a dedicated BTR3 thread with the specs just like you did in the FH5 before its launching

Jul 16, 2018 at 5:38 AM Post #600 of 803
Very good reply, thank you.

I don't have bluetooth keyboard around, but I got bluetooth mouse. Would it be possible to map "a" button's action to something on the mouse or on a remote control? My android box got a remote control obviously and I remember I could map brightness increase to arrow up on my remote. Don't remember whether it was in Kodi or MX Player though.

About LED, well, the intensity wouldn't matter much for as long as it would turn on for 2-3 seconds after being powered up and after a press of a play/volume buttons. Do you think it's necessarily for the light to be constantly on?

Overall, my list of wishes for BTR1 is:
1) LED for 2-3 seconds, the RED LED could be dimmer and be constantly on during charge.
2) When I press volume up it seems it decreases the volume for a half a second or saw. Pretty annoying.
3) When the juice is about to run out the volume will decrease and back to normal for about 5 minutes which is pretty annoying and meaningless. Maybe 1-2 times it would be ok, then it should run normally till juice will be completely over.
4) Even though it is a remote by itself, it still would be nice that whenever I plug TRRS IEM with remote that the buttons would work.

If these would be corrected, it would be a pretty perfect solution, as I get sound quality better than that of Iphone 4's which is known for quite good SQ. I also boost the SQ by using Bongiovi DSP, and BTR1 is still better.
Dear friend,

We will report your feedback to our engineers about your wishes and consider in our later product. As for the remote control you mentioned, in order to be compatible with the headphone in OMTP and CTIA standard, the headphone jack of the BTR1 is TRS. So the remote control and microphone are inert.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back