FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Apr 13, 2018 at 12:58 PM Post #452 of 803
Dear friend,

Because of the particularity of Bluetooth transmission, the background noise of the current Bluetooth DAC/headphones would be relatively larger.

But we would still try our best to reduce this noise in later generation. :left_facing_fist:

Best regards

One solution to this that i can confirm, is something like the ifi ear buddy.

I'm pretty sure that the btr1 supports APTX, but not APTXHD.

But it claims to be "32 bit", AptX only goes up to 16 bit.

Also, how's the sound quality? Is it better than any other phone?

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:08 AM Post #453 of 803
One solution to this that i can confirm, is something like the ifi ear buddy.

But it claims to be "32 bit", AptX only goes up to 16 bit.

Also, how's the sound quality? Is it better than any other phone?
Dear friend,

The BTR1 can support APTX instead of APTX-HD.
And yes APTX has maximum bit length in 16bit. And 384kHz/32bit is the max decoding capability of the chip AK4376 not APTX itself.

Best regards

FiiO Stay updated on FiiO at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/FiiOAUDIO https://twitter.com/FiiO_official https://www.instagram.com/fiioofficial/ https://www.fiio.com support@fiio.com
Apr 14, 2018 at 7:05 AM Post #454 of 803
Dear friend,

The BTR1 can support APTX instead of APTX-HD.
And yes APTX has maximum bit length in 16bit. And 384kHz/32bit is the max decoding capability of the chip AK4376 not APTX itself.

Best regards

Thank you for your answer.

Would it be possible to build something like the btr1 but with a 3.5mm in to use as a wired dac? That way we could get the 32bit audio.

Apr 14, 2018 at 7:55 AM Post #455 of 803
Thank you for your answer.

Would it be possible to build something like the btr1 but with a 3.5mm in to use as a wired dac? That way we could get the 32bit audio.

Why would you want 32 bit audio? You realise the bit depth relates to SNR (or in simple terms - the amount of volume above the noise floor)? 16 bit audio already covers +96 dB (so even with a quiet studio at 20-30 dB this equates to volume beyond the threshold of pain). For your average house at 30-40dB (silent room), it easily covers the full range of listenable volume. 24 bit audio drives that to a whopping 144 dB. You can't use its full extent. 32b would be 192 dB.

So for playback - 16bit is all you need. If you were recording, then its a different ballgame, because with multiple tracks to mix, then you need the headroom, and the noise floor is going to be something you will want to have as much room as possible with.

Going back to your 32 bit though - unless you have DSP involved in your playback, you won't even use the 8 bit difference between 32 and 24 bit (those 8 bits are just padded zeros).

So in short - unless you're recording, there is no point in 32bit audio for the BTR1 (which is essentially a portable device). Heck there is no point in 24 bit either - but then audiophiles have often been fooled buy the desire for bigger numbers without knowing their real world significance.

For reference : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/

Apr 14, 2018 at 10:40 AM Post #456 of 803
Why would you want 32 bit audio? You realise the bit depth relates to SNR (or in simple terms - the amount of volume above the noise floor)? 16 bit audio already covers +96 dB (so even with a quiet studio at 20-30 dB this equates to volume beyond the threshold of pain). For your average house at 30-40dB (silent room), it easily covers the full range of listenable volume. 24 bit audio drives that to a whopping 144 dB. You can't use its full extent. 32b would be 192 dB.

So for playback - 16bit is all you need. If you were recording, then its a different ballgame, because with multiple tracks to mix, then you need the headroom, and the noise floor is going to be something you will want to have as much room as possible with.

Going back to your 32 bit though - unless you have DSP involved in your playback, you won't even use the 8 bit difference between 32 and 24 bit (those 8 bits are just padded zeros).

So in short - unless you're recording, there is no point in 32bit audio for the BTR1 (which is essentially a portable device). Heck there is no point in 24 bit either - but then audiophiles have often been fooled buy the desire for bigger numbers without knowing their real world significance.

For reference : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/24bit-vs-16bit-the-myth-exploded.415361/

Yea i would record and mix it with different sources, but i'm not 100% on that 32 bit thing, i would love to have a device like this that could be used with bluetooth or cable, for an affordable price ofc, my main focus here i really to make my smartphone's sound way better without having to carry a brick.

Also, not a lot a phones have aptx HD, Samsung ones don't for example, it can be added, but it's not common, bluetooth audio isn't really here i believe.

Apr 14, 2018 at 3:37 PM Post #457 of 803
bluetooth audio isn't really here i believe.

I think it's getting close for mere mortals though (such as myself). I was pretty happy with the BTR1 before I lost it. And I'm even more impressed with the Radsone Earstudio. In fact over in that thread, many people are talking as though bluetooth has finally arrived. So it pays to be a mere mortal!

Also, not a lot a phones have aptx HD, Samsung ones don't for example, it can be added, but it's not common,

I have an S7 edge exynos on android 7.0. I realize that more codecs will be available when it gets upgraded to android 8.0. But I don't think APTX HD will be available on my S7.

What do you mean by "it can be added"?

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:22 PM Post #458 of 803
I think it's getting close for mere mortals though (such as myself). I was pretty happy with the BTR1 before I lost it. And I'm even more impressed with the Radsone Earstudio. In fact over in that thread, many people are talking as though bluetooth has finally arrived. So it pays to be a mere mortal!

I have an S7 edge exynos on android 7.0. I realize that more codecs will be available when it gets upgraded to android 8.0. But I don't think APTX HD will be available on my S7.

I don't know if i can talk about it in this forum, but there's a magisk module that makes the upgrade, you should find it on XDA.

Apr 14, 2018 at 5:56 PM Post #459 of 803

Also, could you light me up on the fiio's ability to connect to 2 devices? How does that work?

I didn't know about that radsone, i like what i see, but isn't the dac chip worst than the one used on the btr? I can't find comparison's, but it seems like the radsone wins on portability (smaller), the app, the balanced audio output, claims to have a bunch of proprietary sound effects, same as the btr, (no clue on that), bonus on the noise cancelling microphone...

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:16 PM Post #460 of 803
I don't know if i can talk about it in this forum, but there's a magisk module that makes the upgrade, you should find it on XDA.

Thanks. I'd love to get APTXHD happening, so I'll look into that.

Also, could you light me up on the fiio's ability to connect to 2 devices? How does that work?

I'm not sure if I did that with the btr1 (but with the radsone it seems to work well).

I didn't know about that radsone, i like what i see, but isn't the dac chip worst than the one used on the btr? I can't find comparison's,

You would think the AK4376 would result in better SQ than dual AK4375A's, but I guess implementation and other vodoo comes into play.

but it seems like the radsone wins on portability (smaller), the app, the balanced audio output, claims to have a bunch of proprietary sound effects, same as the btr, (no clue on that), bonus on the noise cancelling microphone...

Also it can be used as a usb dac (albeit only up to 48KHz /16bit), but it sounds very good (once again, to a mere mortal lol).

As far as proprietary sound effects go, the btr1 has a "Reverb and 3D sound affect", while the Radsone (via the phone app) has a bunch of EQ settings (and 4 customizable presets), the ability to double the current, DCT processing, and digital filters.

I should mention that I really like the form factor of the btr1. Great build, great clip, and I like how the buttons/controls are laid out (a bit more fiddly with the Radsone).

It's good for people to know of the various options out there. Having said that, the BTR1 is great, and Fiio rocks, and I'm gonna cease and desist talking about the Radsone further in this thread out of respect.

Last edited:
Apr 14, 2018 at 9:49 PM Post #461 of 803
Thanks. I'd love to get APTXHD happening, so I'll look into that.

I'm not sure if I did that with the btr1 (but with the radsone it seems to work well).

You would think the AK4376 would result in better SQ than dual AK4375A's, but I guess implementation and other vodoo comes into play.

Also it can be used as a usb dac (albeit only up to 48KHz /16bit), but it sounds very good (once again, to a mere mortal lol).

As far as proprietary sound effects go, the btr1 has a "Reverb and 3D sound affect", while the Radsone (via the phone app) has a bunch of EQ settings (and 4 customizable presets), the ability to double the current, DCT processing, and digital filters.

I should mention that I really like the form factor of the btr1. Great build, great clip, and I like how the buttons/controls are laid out (a bit more fiddly with the Radsone).

It's good for people to know of the various options out there. Having said that, the BTR1 is great, and Fiio rocks, and I'm gonna cease and desist talking about the Radsone further in this thread out of respect.

Thanks, i'll be waiting for the btr2 anyway, just want to know more about other options.

But how would you use the 2 device connection thing? What's the purpose?

Also, on the website, they say that "some" android devices allow you to see the battery percentage, how can i make sure that my phone can do that?

Apr 14, 2018 at 9:52 PM Post #462 of 803
But how would you use the 2 device connection thing? What's the purpose?

Its simple. You could connect to a DAP and your phone at the same time. Whichever is the primary device plays. While you're listening to music from the DAP, you get a phone call. You simply accept the call, the Bluetooth automatically switches over, and you use the BTR1 with your phone in headset mode.

Apr 16, 2018 at 11:06 AM Post #463 of 803
Vsonic's GR07 Classic is also marvelous with BTR1. I'm starting to think that Lenovo Vibe X3 even with a dedicated dac, really sounds inferior. GR07 has never sounded this good. So now I have with Pinnacle P1 two iems that got a new life.

Apr 16, 2018 at 2:30 PM Post #465 of 803

Users who are viewing this thread

Back