FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Dec 21, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #181 of 803
Hi

Thanks @WaynesWorld for the link to the articles, very interesting and informative. So if I've got this right Apple can't support lossless Bluetooth transmission?

I'm not sure if ACC is lossless or not (I should read that article lol). But it's better than SBC. The BTR1 doesn't support ACC, so SBC it is for apple users.

I've pretty much discounted the Shire RMCE BT cable, due to issues with the volume of voice announcements and hissing (according to the thread on here) and price.

That's another thing I like about the BTR1: if it hisses, I can't hear it. Also, the notifications are not obnoxious at all. Basically I don't have any gripes with it.

As I'd be using a BT Receiver with an iPhone 6 (my DAPs don't do Bluetooth!), can anyone with an apple phone / computer comment on the SQ from the Fiio BTR1, given that it is transcoded using SBC (does this make any discernible difference at all over AAC)? I would probably only be using Bluetooth whilst out walking the dog and it wouldn't get that much use anyway - or am I better just to stick with wired?

I use Shure SE535 which I use with My DAPs and either 425/215 or Soundmagic E10 when out and about / dog walking.

Thanks

I'm also interested in what other iphone users say, but given your requirements, my guess is that you would be happy enough with the SQ of BTR1 in SBC mode, and with the BTR1 in general (I say this also taking into consideration it's relatively low price).

Dec 22, 2017 at 4:59 AM Post #182 of 803
At least with the S7, the exynos version is supposed to sound quite a bit better than the US snapdragon version. Is that the same with the S8? If so, which version do you have?

I have the S7 exynos version. Using the Samsung Music app with the "adapt sound" feature turned off, it sounds boring, and I wouldn't use it. But with the "adapt sound" feature turned on, the sound comes alive and sounds quite good to me.

I don't listen to iems very much anymore, but thought that I would drag out the 'ol Havi B3's out of the drawer. They are fairly hard to drive, but the S7 is getting them to more than sufficient volume for me. Listening to Radiohead's Decks Dark and it sounds great.

Now for the BTR1 in aptx mode... yup, sounds better. Darker background. Better instrument separation, and layering and imaging. Definitely and upgrade to my ears.

While I'm at it, I thought I'd try the same song using the S7 and UAPP app with the Zuperdac (the combo that I used before getting fed up with cables/bulk etc). The zuperdac combo sounds better, but another factor is that the song is 24/48 which the zuperdac handles, whereas the BTR1 in aptx mode is probably at something more like 16/44. I'm not sure if that would make a relevant difference, or if my ears would be able to pick it up, but I should have used a lower bitrate version of the song. Still, it's close enough for my ears, and the BTR1 sounds very good to me, so I am very happy to forego the cables to my phone and enjoy the sound coming out of the BTR1.

Ymmv!

Thanks! might try and find somewhere i can have a play with one.

I do have an exynos s8 but it's a UK model, which has the ridiculous EU volume limit on it. Even with that said it sounds quite muddy compared to the e17 too. Will play a little bit with adapt sound though see if that helps.

Thanks,

Tom.

Dec 22, 2017 at 2:30 PM Post #183 of 803
Thanks - that clears things up. I think the btr1's SQ is great, but I'd be surprised if it's better than the DFBlack.

my friend lend me his faithfull A/B box, and i did a quick comparison between the BTR1 and DFB. Just as i expected, they are both pretty similar, with the BTR1 having just a tad bit more bass emphasis than the DFB. didnt mesure the volume matching, but i think it was quite decent. just used the IT03 as it is my main in ear monitor.

im not saying what is the best SQ, as that is something for personal tastes. but if you ask me, the DFB is going on sale, and the BTR1 is sticking around.

nothing whatsoever in perceptible audible differences between a flac file with the BTR1, and the same song via streaming.

ps. we did some testing and we were able to identify the xb10 from the BTR1 (volumematched by ear), on A/B testing with streaming services (tidal and spotify).

we were actually kinda shocked that we were able to do it.

IMG_20171222_160910.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #184 of 803
my friend lend me his faithfull A/B box, and i did a quick comparison between the BTR1 and DFB. Just as i expected, they are both pretty similar, with the BTR1 having just a tad bit more bass emphasis than the DFB. didnt mesure the volume matching, but i think it was quite decent. just used the IT03 as it is my main in ear monitor.

im not saying what is the best SQ, as that is something for personal tastes. but if you ask me, the DFB is going on sale, and the BTR1 is sticking around.

no diference whatsoever in perceptible audible differences between a flac file with the BTR1, and the same song via streaming.

Once again, very interesting. Thanks.

ps. we did some testing and we were able to identify the xb10 from the BTR1 (volumematched by ear), on A/B testing with streaming services (tidal and spotify).

Please elaborate! Thanks.

Dec 22, 2017 at 5:04 PM Post #185 of 803
Thanks for the response and feedback.

The article said AAC streaming was 'about' 250kbps, which I presume would be the 256 kbps of the Apple/iTunes downloads and therefore, of course, lossy. Unfortunately Apple doesn't believe in Hi-Res music, but also more unfortunately not even CD quality.

I'm not in any rush to go wireless, might wait to see how things develop.

Dec 22, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #187 of 803
Please elaborate! Thanks.

they sound very similar too. the xb10 has slighty more defined highs and mids, than the BTR1. it gave it away on the a/b tests at list for me.

Would you say the xb10 is worth the double/triple price tag?

Thanks

Tom.

not double nor triple. at 99 usd on amazon, i think its ok though for a confortable balance out.

the BTR1 is way easier to operate imo, and the connection is way more constant with the fiio.

was not able do identify diferences between aptx, aptx, or just regular bluetooth. different players made more of an impact than the codec on SQ.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2017 at 7:26 PM Post #188 of 803
Dec 22, 2017 at 11:01 PM Post #189 of 803

no diference whatsoever in perceptible audible differences between a flac file with the BTR1, and the same song via streaming.

IMG_20171222_160910.jpg

Thanks for that. I was considering this or the DFB, so that's good to know. I may just go for the BTR1 then.

Dec 23, 2017 at 3:03 PM Post #191 of 803
they sound very similar too. the xb10 has slighty more defined highs and mids, than the BTR1. it gave it away on the a/b tests at list for me.

not double nor triple. at 99 usd on amazon, i think its ok though for a confortable balance out.

the BTR1 is way easier to operate imo, and the connection is way more constant with the fiio.

was not able do identify diferences between aptx, aptx, or just regular bluetooth. different players made more of an impact than the codec on SQ.
Thanks!

I’m in the uk and the btr1 is £55 vs £150 for the xb10.

Amazon.com will ship the btr1 for £49 and the xb10 for £96 so brings the gap down to double instead of triple.

I presume either will drive RHA T10is louder than comfortable ? For things like movies, is the xb10 better due to the low latency aspect of APTX-HD or does it make no difference?

For reference I’ll acrually be using it for commuting which will be on loud underground trains etc and whilst mostly music I’ll watch a few movies etc too.

Really wish I could find a comprehensive comparison !

Thanks again

Tom.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2017 at 5:28 PM Post #192 of 803
Thanks!

I’m in the uk and the btr1 is £55 vs £150 for the xb10.

Amazon.com will ship the btr1 for £49 and the xb10 for £96 so brings the gap down to double instead of triple.

I presume either will drive RHA T10is louder than comfortable ? For things like movies, is the xb10 better due to the low latency aspect of APTX-HD or does it make no difference?

For reference I’ll acrually be using it for commuting which will be on loud underground trains etc and whilst mostly music I’ll watch a few movies etc too.

Really wish I could find a comprehensive comparison !

Thanks again

Tom.

i think the connection stability should be the number one priority. in that regard, the btr1 is superior to the xb10.

if you are able to relinquish a few glitches here and there for balance out and moar power, the the xb10 should serve you well.

alhtough i cannot stress enough, at list for me, how crucial is to have an uninterrupted listening experience. that is why if i would have to choose, i would take the btr1.

just as an example i was not able to listen to the xb10 (due to unbearable clipping during playback) in front of my living room rig, i use bluetooth mouse and keyboard. i had to turn them off, and turn the computer's bluetooth off too, to be able to get a solid connection (cellphone to xb10).

while with the btr1 i had no connection interference issues whatsoever.

Dec 24, 2017 at 1:54 PM Post #193 of 803
i think the connection stability should be the number one priority. in that regard, the btr1 is superior to the xb10.

if you are able to relinquish a few glitches here and there for balance out and moar power, the the xb10 should serve you well.

alhtough i cannot stress enough, at list for me, how crucial is to have an uninterrupted listening experience. that is why if i would have to choose, i would take the btr1.

just as an example i was not able to listen to the xb10 (due to unbearable clipping during playback) in front of my living room rig, i use bluetooth mouse and keyboard. i had to turn them off, and turn the computer's bluetooth off too, to be able to get a solid connection (cellphone to xb10).

while with the btr1 i had no connection interference issues whatsoever.

I do wonder if that’s all xb10s or if yours is faulty ! No reviews mention this :s

Dec 26, 2017 at 12:25 AM Post #195 of 803
I just bought fiio q1 m2, waiting for it to deliver this week.

I am also thinking of buying btr1 in future to replace my sony bt receiver as it has amp and dac, as well as aptx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back