FiiO’s Upgraded Bluetooth Amplifier BTR1K: Qualcomm QCC 3005 BT chip, BT 5.0 and aptX /aptX LL/AAC supported, RGB light, NFC pairing, Type C and USB DAC
Dec 13, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #151 of 803
Just to be clear, you guys are saying the fiio sounds better than the dragonfly?

that would be for debate. but as for personal use, right know, the fiio serves me better. it is more a service issue, than a SQ statement.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it was revealed a few pages back in the thread the BTR1 does not support AAC--only SBC and aptX.

I had a Dragonfly Red some time ago; take this with a massive grain of salt because I don't have them side by side to compare, but I wanna say I pretty definitively think the DF was better, both in power/driving ability and sound. Although, the DF not being a BT device, I'm not sure how fair a comparison is between the two.

yeah it would seem than apple users are having problems with that.

but like i said i havent had any issues using TIDAL (which im pretty confident uses AAC) with windows and android.

Dec 13, 2017 at 9:25 PM Post #152 of 803
If I'm reading specs right, BTR1 can't decode AAC - so its either aptX or SBC.

Dec 14, 2017 at 12:59 PM Post #153 of 803
that would be for debate. but as for personal use, right know, the fiio serves me better. it is more a service issue, than a SQ statement.

Thanks - that clears things up. I think the btr1's SQ is great, but I'd be surprised if it's better than the DFBlack.

[QUOT]yeah it would seem than apple users are having problems with that.

but like i said i havent had any issues using TIDAL (which im pretty confident uses AAC) with windows and android.[/QUOTE]

Brooko's right. I'm pretty sure that it's irrelevant what Tidal uses to get to your phone, because your android phone will send off to the btr1 using either APTX or SBC (depending on your phone), or if from an iphone, using SBC (because the btr1 doesn't decode ACC).

Dec 15, 2017 at 2:16 AM Post #155 of 803
I have the S7 Edge (Exynos) and have been using it on its own but I'm interested in getting a portable Amp/DAC for it. I'm looking at spending £100 max. I've been looking at this Fiio BTR1, Dragonfly Black and the Fiio Q1/Q1 mk II. Which I will pair with the Ibasso IT01 which I will be purchasing when they're in stock. I'm not sure if I will even need one for those but I have read that the IT01 scales well depending on the source.

Dec 15, 2017 at 11:56 AM Post #156 of 803
I have the S7 Edge (Exynos) and have been using it on its own but I'm interested in getting a portable Amp/DAC for it. I'm looking at spending £100 max. I've been looking at this Fiio BTR1, Dragonfly Black and the Fiio Q1/Q1 mk II. Which I will pair with the Ibasso IT01 which I will be purchasing when they're in stock. I'm not sure if I will even need one for those but I have read that the IT01 scales well depending on the source.

I also have the S7 edge exynos. It depends on your needs, but these are the main things that I like about the BTR1 over the others:

(1) Bluetooth receiver (aptx). This means that the btr1 is not connected via cable to the phone. The btr1 is very small and has a clip. It's great having it clipped somewhere/anywhere, and (a) NOT having it connected to my phone via a cable and (b) not having my headphone cables connected directly to my phone. I use my phone for a lot of various functions, and I like having it untethered.

(2) Inexpensive.

The SQ is quite good as well. But if you are looking for even better SQ, and you don't mind stacking with your phone, then the others probably are the way to go.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:02 PM Post #157 of 803

I have BTR1 and Q1 (v1). I haven't been using either lately as I've gotten a dedicated DAP that can do what both do already (Cayin N3) but the BTR1 is very good on it's own for ear buds/iems and a great deal of headphones. I had been actually using the BTR1 WITH the Q1 together, for a wireless portable solution that gives the BTR1 more power for my planar magnetic headphones and this was a great combination. The BTR1 is handy as a wireless solution with really good sound quality over bluetooth. It works even better if you can afford to use it with a dedicated amp.

BTR1 is slightly warmer than the Q1 and less finicky because bluetooth (surprisingly) is easier to use with a cell phone than a usb-DAC in my experience but this depends on your phone too.

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:52 PM Post #158 of 803
I have BTR1 and Q1 (v1). I haven't been using either lately as I've gotten a dedicated DAP that can do what both do already (Cayin N3) but the BTR1 is very good on it's own for ear buds/iems and a great deal of headphones. I had been actually using the BTR1 WITH the Q1 together, for a wireless portable solution that gives the BTR1 more power for my planar magnetic headphones and this was a great combination. The BTR1 is handy as a wireless solution with really good sound quality over bluetooth. It works even better if you can afford to use it with a dedicated amp.

The N3 does not receive in aptx whereas the btr1 does. Has that made any difference to you? (I ask because that was one of the reasons I held off on getting the N3). Actually, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference for you unless you were streaming lossless music to your N3, which you may not be doing.

BTR1 is slightly warmer than the Q1 and less finicky because bluetooth (surprisingly) is easier to use with a cell phone than a usb-DAC in my experience but this depends on your phone too.

Btr1 is definitely less finicky. I have a zuperdac that I previously was connecting to my S7 edge. First of all, it was a drag having to plug it in and unplug it (tight connection!). But even with that tight connection, when I'd bump the cable, sometimes the dac would be momentarily disconnected, and I'd have to go through the process of connecting it again. And keeping the zuperdac physically stacked/attached to the phone was a drag as well. BTR1 for the win!

Dec 15, 2017 at 1:56 PM Post #159 of 803
The N3 does not receive in aptx whereas the btr1 does. Has that made any difference to you? (I ask because that was one of the reasons I held off on getting the N3). Actually, it probably wouldn't make much of a difference for you unless you were streaming lossless music to your N3, which you may not be doing.

Btr1 is definitely less finicky. I have a zuperdac that I previously was connecting to my S7 edge. First of all, it was a drag having to plug it in and unplug it (tight connection!). But even with that tight connection, when I'd bump the cable, sometimes the dac would be momentarily disconnected, and I'd have to go through the process of connecting it again. And keeping the zuperdac physically stacked/attached to the phone was a drag as well. BTR1 for the win!

Currently my phone does not support AptX (yet - should next week though!) so its not a big deal, BUT the Cayin N3 should support Apt-X. It says so in the specifications,and highly promoted that it supports it. There's also a menu option to enable Apt-X. I stream Flac and spotify extreme.

EDIT: question - perhaps its only Apt-X Transmit and not apt-x receive?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I found the thread where you asked this question and scrolled through it. It does look like its a one way apt-x. Oh well, I should do some comparisons when my phone enables Apt-X in the next Oreo beta and see if I can actually hear the difference. I guess I can try the Cayin N3 to BTR1 using AptX and phone to BTR1 using SBC and see if theres a difference.

Last edited:
Dec 15, 2017 at 5:22 PM Post #160 of 803

Just tried bluetooth from phone using SBC to BTR1 and bluetooth from N3 using AptX to BTR1. Played the same song, in FLAC, and there is a slight noticeable difference in sound. The SBC was a tad more mid-bloated and just a small amount less detail. The AptX one was more detailed and a little better instrument separation. I guess the BTR1 stays for AptX streaming. :)

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #161 of 803
Just tried bluetooth from phone using SBC to BTR1 and bluetooth from N3 using AptX to BTR1. Played the same song, in FLAC, and there is a slight noticeable difference in sound. The SBC was a tad more mid-bloated and just a small amount less detail. The AptX one was more detailed and a little better instrument separation. I guess the BTR1 stays for AptX streaming. :)

Interesting. Thanks.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:11 PM Post #162 of 803
Now try the same in a truly portable environment (background noise etc) :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised how good the sound quality was using SBC in conjunction with the iPhone SE. I didn't notice any real difference in a truly portable situation (eg walking down the street) - but the ability to use any of my higher end IEMs in a Bluetooth setting was pretty cool.

I just wish the BTR1 at least had aac standard decoding. Would make it almost perfect for my uses.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:28 PM Post #163 of 803
Now try the same in a truly portable environment (background noise etc) :wink:

I was pleasantly surprised how good the sound quality was using SBC in conjunction with the iPhone SE. I didn't notice any real difference in a truly portable situation (eg walking down the street) - but the ability to use any of my higher end IEMs in a Bluetooth setting was pretty cool.

I just wish the BTR1 at least had aac standard decoding. Would make it almost perfect for my uses.

The obvious solution is to dump your iphone! :yum:

But yes, the lack of ACC is a bit of a bummer for apple users.

Dec 15, 2017 at 6:42 PM Post #164 of 803
Not happening :). IPhone SE is one of the best devices I have. Very linear and perfect as a transport.

Dec 16, 2017 at 11:06 AM Post #165 of 803
If I'm not mistaken AAC is more than just file format, which is supported by apple. And I find it difficult to believe you can separate aptx and aac when they are both handled by the same chip anyway. Unfortunately the chip maker did not include an indicator as to what it is using at any given point. The best guess would be by evaluating the sound quality by ear. My bluetooth headphone vfree from many years ago does aptx and aac. But my only way to prove they are working is by listening by ear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back