Fight Club Appreciation thread
Apr 21, 2009 at 10:27 PM Post #16 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by xnothingpoetic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I deleted my post because I knew my post could only derail the thread.

And It's hard to say off the top of my head-- I'd have to go through my collection almost one by one and think about them and remember which ones had the greatest impact. Not something I feel like doing at the moment-- and another reason to why I deleted my post-- because I knew I couldn't give a good list right now.

Good idea for a new thread though.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:46 PM Post #17 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
For hundreds of generations, man had been slowly becoming the worlds dominant species, by outwitting the rest of the food chain. Now many of us spend all day in a cubicle. Not really what nature had in mind, I'd say.

Sure it is. Only problem is that we've been so spectacularly successful that evolution has yet to catch up.

Now effective birth control, that's something nature never had in mind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1
Look a the South American natives living in the Amazon Jungle. Those people live in harmony with nature and their communities are very close knit and social deviants are an extreme rarity.

Are they better off than us? No, not by our standards. Are they happier? As a society, most definitely, by anyone's standards.

Not by my standards.

I'm about a generation or two removed from a subsistence farming existence, and may still be there if it wasn't for the Vietnam War. It's not nearly as rosy as a picture as your imagination would have it. And those South American natives? Yeah, a few millennia behind that. Screw that. I'd take our modern technological society any day of the week.

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:59 PM Post #19 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by BBF3 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
which is why he's perfect in his role

Yup...he had to be contrasting to Brad Pitts on-screen personality.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:00 AM Post #20 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by mark_h /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Edward Norton is the least convincing hard man in the history of film!

Have you seen him in American History X? Pure badass.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:14 AM Post #21 of 38
Only for the first few minutes of the movie and then after he was butt raped in prison he became a pus.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 5:17 AM Post #22 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about a generation or two removed from a subsistence farming existence, and may still be there if it wasn't for the Vietnam War. It's not nearly as rosy as a picture as your imagination would have it. And those South American natives? Yeah, a few millennia behind that. Screw that. I'd take our modern technological society any day of the week.

Well i disagree that a technologically advanced society is a necessarily happier one. Sure, we like indoor plumbing, central heat and air, and the information superhighway. I could never be happy without those things having had them all my life (well, not the information superhighway).

My point is that those societies that still exist as they have for thousands of years, in a hunter/gatherer community where everyone contributes in a meaningful way to the group as a whole, do not have the problems that our modern world has. Problems like chronic depression, obesity,pedaphelia, drug addiction, domestic voilence and many more I can't think of at a quarter to midnight. Are they a perfect utopia? Of course not. But the world we have made for ourselves is only better to us because that's what we are used to.

I don't have a rosy picture in my mind of a group of modern people eeking out a meager existence from a patch of land that barely allows for survival of a small group in an overpopluated region. In Southeast Asia that kind of living is surely unsustainable and I'm sincerely happy that Vietnam, in particular, has raised it's standard of living significantly over the past 30 years. I have a close friend that is Vietmanese. His name is Hoan Nguyen, and he is an IT professional who trained me in my current job. He lives in a half million dollar home close to lake Travis in Austin, TX. He grew up in Houston, about as poor as anyone in Houston TX was in the 1970's. The guy is living the American dream and I'm truly happy that I live in a place where hard work and perseverance can give you the life you want and opportunities for progress exist. He's an inspiration to me.

There are plenty of regions where people work like slaves all day every day just to put food on the table, and that's it. Africa is riddled with such poverty stricken places. The problems of those places can usually be traced to greedy and corrupt governments.

What Fight Club said to me was: There was a time when humans were as free and happy as is likely possible. That time has passed, and now the freedom and happiness is only possible for the fortunate few who are not burdened by the need to get up and go to a job that we don't like so that we can pay or mortgage and bills. There are some who have enough money to just say, "I think I'll take a year off and work on my putting". Those folks have freedom that most of us in the modern world will not have until we're old and retired. My friend Hoan is not quite that free but he's a lot closer that I am.

My reference to the Amazon natives is that they are very close to that freedom. Their jungle and it's rivers provide more than enough food. Those cultures don't have to work 12 hours a day to feed themselves. They probably enjoy more leisure time than many of us 40 hour work week guys do. That's what I mean when I say that they are probably happier as a whole. And "as a whole" is a key phrase here. Our modern societies have millions of people that are very happy with their lives. But then take a drive to an inner city gheto or look at how many people we have locked up in prisons. The segment of our society that is not making it, probably makes up a much larger percentage than that of the native Amazons.

Ok. Well it's late and the teleprompter just went blank.

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:31 AM Post #23 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by wahchile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have you seen him in American History X? Pure badass.

That is one film that I have seen. Bad ass is only small talk. Such a great film.
biggrin.gif

Apr 22, 2009 at 8:51 AM Post #24 of 38
I have to say that I was mistakenly prejudiced against ever liking Fight Club before it came out, and didn't watch it until it'd been out on dvd for a few years. The ads for it really turned me off even though I'm a fan of Ed Norton; it's one of those movies that's really difficult to successfully convey in a commercial/trailer. I bought a copy after watching a friend's.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:05 PM Post #26 of 38
One of my all time fav's, good book as well.

Apr 25, 2009 at 7:16 PM Post #27 of 38
Before I got married, and was living alone, I watched that movie and The Matrix, every day for 6 months straight!

Great quotes also:

"on a long enough timeline the survival rate for everyone drops to zero"

And
"Man, I see in fight club the strongest and smartest men who've ever lived. I see all this potential, and I see squandering. God damn it, an entire generation pumping gas, waiting tables; slaves with white collars. Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need." <-- INSERT AUDIO GEAR!

" The things you own end up owning you.." *ahem* Ok, who's the first to destroy their expensive fancy headphone collection?!?!!?

Apr 26, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #28 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by spookygonk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I read the book after I saw the film and I thought it wasn't as good.

The author actually has stated that he felt the movie was better then his book.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Morph201 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy **** we don't need." <-- INSERT AUDIO GEAR!

" The things you own end up owning you.." *ahem* Ok, who's the first to destroy their expensive fancy headphone collection?!?!!?

Advertising isn't what has caused me to buy my audio gear. And no, i'm not going to dystroy my headphone setup. However give me an ibud and i'll delight in dystroying it.

Apr 26, 2009 at 3:59 AM Post #29 of 38
First of all, you're not supposed to talk about Fight Club! Secondly, and at mark_h, Edward Norton is one of the best actors the current times have to offer. Did you see American History X? After the rape and collapse of his misguided ideals, he was stronger than he'd ever been. Consider that. The character Edward Norton played in Fight Club wasn't a hard man, anyway. "The first man who walks out this door gets a.. a-a lead salad!" Haha.

Apr 30, 2009 at 1:09 PM Post #30 of 38
Quote:

Originally Posted by cswann1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well i disagree that a technologically advanced society is a necessarily happier one. Sure, we like indoor plumbing, central heat and air, and the information superhighway. I could never be happy without those things having had them all my life (well, not the information superhighway).

My point is that those societies that still exist as they have for thousands of years, in a hunter/gatherer community where everyone contributes in a meaningful way to the group as a whole, do not have the problems that our modern world has. Problems like chronic depression, obesity,pedaphelia, drug addiction, domestic voilence and many more I can't think of at a quarter to midnight. Are they a perfect utopia? Of course not. But the world we have made for ourselves is only better to us because that's what we are used to.

I don't have a rosy picture in my mind of a group of modern people eeking out a meager existence from a patch of land that barely allows for survival of a small group in an overpopluated region. In Southeast Asia that kind of living is surely unsustainable and I'm sincerely happy that Vietnam, in particular, has raised it's standard of living significantly over the past 30 years. I have a close friend that is Vietmanese. His name is Hoan Nguyen, and he is an IT professional who trained me in my current job. He lives in a half million dollar home close to lake Travis in Austin, TX. He grew up in Houston, about as poor as anyone in Houston TX was in the 1970's. The guy is living the American dream and I'm truly happy that I live in a place where hard work and perseverance can give you the life you want and opportunities for progress exist. He's an inspiration to me.

There are plenty of regions where people work like slaves all day every day just to put food on the table, and that's it. Africa is riddled with such poverty stricken places. The problems of those places can usually be traced to greedy and corrupt governments.

What Fight Club said to me was: There was a time when humans were as free and happy as is likely possible. That time has passed, and now the freedom and happiness is only possible for the fortunate few who are not burdened by the need to get up and go to a job that we don't like so that we can pay or mortgage and bills. There are some who have enough money to just say, "I think I'll take a year off and work on my putting". Those folks have freedom that most of us in the modern world will not have until we're old and retired. My friend Hoan is not quite that free but he's a lot closer that I am.

My reference to the Amazon natives is that they are very close to that freedom. Their jungle and it's rivers provide more than enough food. Those cultures don't have to work 12 hours a day to feed themselves. They probably enjoy more leisure time than many of us 40 hour work week guys do. That's what I mean when I say that they are probably happier as a whole. And "as a whole" is a key phrase here. Our modern societies have millions of people that are very happy with their lives. But then take a drive to an inner city gheto or look at how many people we have locked up in prisons. The segment of our society that is not making it, probably makes up a much larger percentage than that of the native Amazons.

Ok. Well it's late and the teleprompter just went blank.

this is a very good post....you brought a good perspective to the movie...thats the beauty of the movie...the Fight is just a metaphor..there are so many interpretations of it.

i like some things it conveys...like the men today are a compressed version of what they were..somewhat like what MP3 is for audio. ....men were hunters, warriors, creators...very dynamic species...today most men are just nerds typing off the keyboard.

also..men have become more submissive...we lack role models in real lives..hence have to rely on fictional characters like Tyler Durden who portray a true Alpha male.

when was the last time u confronted someone? when was the time u did something brave.. face your fears?

there are so many awesome things which are shown through eyes of Tyler Durden.....even the political leaders these days are so politically correct..they dont make bold statements...they dont really lead us as individuals..but they are more of sustainers who just manage the tasks of a country's policies.

when was the last time u were totally blunt and offended someone?

infact offending someone these days can get you sued.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back