Fifth Sydney Head-Fi Meet Impressions - 21.06.08
Aug 1, 2008 at 6:26 AM Post #302 of 384
diyPod post out this afternoon
wink.gif

Aug 1, 2008 at 7:46 AM Post #303 of 384
James is too generous
tongue.gif

Aug 2, 2008 at 3:43 AM Post #304 of 384
Yeah it's really awesome of him. James it's you I bought my DT990 from right? Am enjoying them more each day...

Aug 2, 2008 at 9:15 AM Post #305 of 384
Well, I have my MD5000 left side pulled apart and the rattle is audible with only the driver assembly near my ear.
frown.gif
There's nothing obviously loose on the driver assembly, and applying some restrained suction to the two holes on the back of the assembly didn't change anything either. The rattle is loudest with my ear directly over the back of the driver, and fairly loud at the front of the driver over the grille. Doesn't sound promising, and I'm not sure there's anything that can be further disassembled without more knowledge/tools than I have.

I'll have another look at it later and see if anything else comes to mind.

Aug 2, 2008 at 1:29 PM Post #306 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by poo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah it's really awesome of him. James it's you I bought my DT990 from right? Am enjoying them more each day...

Yeah, the I sold the 990 to you
floatsmile.png

Glad that you are in love with it!

Aug 2, 2008 at 5:14 PM Post #307 of 384
Ugh thats not good news Mazz especially when it's new, expensive and a pain in the arse to fix.
I'm in the process of ordering some high quality amboyna burl to make some D2000 cups, then sending them to JenaLabs for something like markl mod and 3ft Jena Cable. Imagine if I had a problem? thats it I'd shoot myself.

Aug 3, 2008 at 12:22 PM Post #309 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh yeah maybe when I'm done with the mods we can compare our Dx000's to see how they stack up against each other.

Sure, that would be very interesting to see how much of a difference there is (or isn't)!

I found I could hear a slight rattle in the driver assembly if I shook it by hand fast enough along the axis of the driver, which suggests something mechanical rattling inside somewhere - and that the shaking induced by the low frequencies is the trigger.

I spent a couple of hours going over the driver assembly as carefully as I could. I pulled out a few tiny particles from the grille and one or two hairs (but I think they may have been introduced by the inspection process). I also tried a tiny computer vacuum cleaner. I couldn't see anything obvious on the grille, in the uncovered holes in the back of the driver, by shining a light through it from either side, or by looking at the driver surface through the grille with a small magnifying glass. There are parts of the grille that don't quite mate with the surrounding black plastic, but it looks like glue binds the two together and I didn't seem to be able to induce any horizontal movement (and shaking orthogonal to the driver axis didn't seem to rattle either).

I don't think there's anything else I can accomplish.
frown.gif
I've put them back together and am listening to some music (straight out of my crappy PC analog output) which still sounds pretty good, especially after listening to my old headphones for a couple of days :) I'll cross my fingers and avoid anything with really low tones and see how it goes for a while. I imagine getting a driver replaced on a modded headphone could be a PITA - just sourcing the driver assembly could be a challenge or expensive or both. Fortunately I listen to a fair bit of acoustic jazz and I know the lowest note on acoustic bass is just over 41Hz which is safe so far!

Aug 3, 2008 at 1:17 PM Post #310 of 384
ergh, thats really bad situation you're in. Hope everything goes well for you and your headphones :p.

Aug 4, 2008 at 12:06 AM Post #312 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by MilkyWay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Mazz do you mind me asking how much you paid for the MD5K in total?

Woohoo 100th post!!!

In the ballpark of AUD $700. Mine were recabled by the previous owner with a Cardas grey cable, but you could buy a new pair for a similar price now (as long as stock is available) and if you're lucky you might pick up a second hand pair with stock cable a little bit cheaper.

I had Mark do the mods - I'm chronically ill and don't have a lot of energy left over after work. You could probably save a bit if you did the mods yourself.

Aug 4, 2008 at 4:25 AM Post #314 of 384
Mazz i'm just wondering maybe the cabling joint is the one that is rattling if that is even possible at all???

I was thinking maybe its the screw on the headband or earcup since it is quite known that the Denon suffer from earcup falling off but if its on the driver unit then its really hard to diagnose/fix

Aug 4, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #315 of 384
Quote:

Originally Posted by sum1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Mazz i'm just wondering maybe the cabling joint is the one that is rattling if that is even possible at all???

I was thinking maybe its the screw on the headband or earcup since it is quite known that the Denon suffer from earcup falling off but if its on the driver unit then its really hard to diagnose/fix

Good suggestions, but it happens on the driver assembly with all screws removed, and the cable joint seems really solid - there's some sort of resin holding the cable in two different places. I couldn't find any movement in the tiny circuit board on the driver assembly either.

Markl has offered to hook me up with someone he knows in Australia who does a lot of DIY type stuff and will take a look, which seems like it's worth doing. Failing that I suspect I either live with it or start looking for a spare driver assembly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back