Field Reporting and PC Listening Audiophile 'Phones
Apr 20, 2009 at 10:02 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

HD_Dude

100+ Head-Fier
I'm going to be doing some field reporting, using a Marantz PMD661 digital recorder.

I'm looking for some headphones that I can use with it in the field, and then take back to my desk, and hook up using a 3Move as a DAC, and listen to sources at a PC.

So, it has to be audiophile, but also really tough to take field work. I'd say $500 is the budget.

Sources: radio broadcasts, as well as lossless music files and a few MP3's.

Ideas?

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:14 PM Post #2 of 13
AD900 is tough. I throw it in my backpack back and forth from work and school in the past for 3 years and it still has little sign of wear. Looks about new still. Although I didn't get near any dirt, so if that is a factor, hmm maybe closed cousin, the A900? I'd probably stay away from Wood. Stay away from Denon as again, they have fallen apart with even careful usage.

Hopefully someone can chime in if the rugged DT770 sounds good with the 3Move and be a good option.

Same for the HD25 II-I, someoen chime in for them!

Explore the Ultrasones? I'd probably choose one of them plastic covering ones rather than the shiny metal housings though for taking it into the field. Maybe the HFI 780s?

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:16 PM Post #3 of 13
pretty easy.. The 48s were made for this purpose.

Engineering data:

All the professionals and Amateurs working with one of the various self contained NAGRA tape recorders know the DT48 headphone is a precise control instrument which produces no colorization or distortion of the signal. Nowadays, the audiophile also chooses the DT48 stereophone as the most perfect headphone for his hi fidelity stereo equipment because only this stereophone guarantees an absolutely undisturbed clear and natural reproduction over the entire audio range.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #4 of 13
Not sure what that description has anything to do with DT48 being rugged and being taken out into the field. But I don't doubt it's solid build.

Also take a look at the MB Quart Headphones. They have been claimed to be UNBREAKABLE. Videos of someone stomping on them with their feet and is unscathed. Were made for studio use, a busy one I suppose with careless people stepping on them, the cable, and just needing to be very rugged.

Also look at the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. Very similar to the MB Quart, German made UNBREAKABLE studio monitor headphones. Acix recently reviewed them saying even though they have great isolation and using pleather pads, his ears did not got overly warm or sweat. And they supposedly sound great! Hmm sounds like the headphones for you!

German Maestro, GMP 8.35 D Monitor Review

3247122222_629a9586c4.jpg

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #5 of 13
Well, they been ran over by a car & only damage was cosmetic.

Bold is from the engineering data..

Build quality is easily the best I seen.. And might be the best for cans still in production. Sheet metal, bolts, housing machined from a solid brick of aluminium, which also contains a special high powered magnet assembly held in a machine cut thread. The heart of the DT48 is a heat formed aluminium membrane to which a hand wound moving coil is attached. These headphones are very unique.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:41 PM Post #6 of 13
dt-250 may be a possible contender also, as a matter of fact the hd-25 would fit too.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:43 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Not sure what that description has anything to do with DT48 being rugged and being taken out into the field. But I don't doubt it's solid build.

Also take a look at the MB Quart Headphones. They have been claimed to be UNBREAKABLE. Videos of someone stomping on them with their feet and is unscathed. Were made for studio use, a busy one I suppose with careless people stepping on them, the cable, and just needing to be very rugged.

Also look at the GMP 8.35 D Monitor. Very similar to the MB Quart, German made UNBREAKABLE studio monitor headphones. Acix recently reviewed them saying even though they have great isolation and using pleather pads, his ears did not got overly warm or sweat. And they supposedly sound great! Hmm sounds like the headphones for you!

Yes, German build quality is un matched.

Apr 20, 2009 at 10:54 PM Post #8 of 13
Yes, the DT48 is indestructible and it sounds amazing. It would be mt first choice for the field. Another one to look at is the Sony MDR-7509HD. I got a used pair a couple months ago and have been very pleased with them. They're not the last word in hi-fi, but are certainly competent, rugged headphones.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:18 PM Post #9 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by mbd2884 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Yep, the GMP 8.35 D Monitor are great as field monitor. They have the Ability to turn any PC into a good audio source. the DT48E/S are the official filed monitor from the 70s, and still in use.

Both are UNBREAKABLE...the DT48 are built like a Sherman tank, and the GMP 8.35 D Monitor are very flexible.

Here more info: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f4/ger...indeed-406658/

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:21 PM Post #10 of 13
I've always wanted to try the legendary DT48.

Sounds like a good call!

I see them offered at 200 ohm, special order, or 25 ohm, in stock at B&H.

Should I wait for the 200's? Or will the 25's do?

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like a good call!

The 25 Ohm is the one that you will need.

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:27 PM Post #12 of 13
The 25s are said to be better than the 200s

Apr 20, 2009 at 11:28 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by HD_Dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Sounds like a good call!

25 ohm will do well.. Just keep a look out.. I'm not into getting any more 25 ohm DT48.. Now I want the 200 ohm and the 25 ohm silver version.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back