FIDUE A83 impressions and discussion thread
Nov 2, 2014 at 10:42 PM Post #451 of 3,064
Yep, there's that mid-range forwardness.

I've already given up on DX50 headphone out, we simply do not get along no matter what IEM I try. Quite obvious to me Colorfly C3 headphone out is more detailed and cleaner. One track I was testing going back / forth I could clearly hear the strings being plucked on the guitar under each note. C3 makes this quite vivid in a fashion that jumps out at you. Switching to the DX50 you still hear it, but it's quite masked or smeared. This is why I want to amp DX50 in the first place because then it is a decent player. 

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:51 PM Post #452 of 3,064
From my point of view the DX50 needed my C5.  Otherwise I didn't much like its sound.  With the JDS it sounded very good- not as good as my X5 without an amp, but very good.  That's why I'm enjoying my Fiios- they are fine unamped, especially with good iems.  

Nov 2, 2014 at 10:58 PM Post #453 of 3,064
  From my point of view the DX50 needed my C5.  Otherwise I didn't much like its sound.  With the JDS it sounded very good- not as good as my X5 without an amp, but very good.  That's why I'm enjoying my Fiios- they are fine unamped, especially with good iems.  

Don't get me wrong, I think anyone with just DX50 unit using it from headphone out would think it sounds good, because granted it does sound decent with A83. When however you start using it with other DAP's around you one sees Its flaws, or more importantly the other DAPs advantages. Like you said though amp it from line out is the best way. I've been quite vocal about DX50 headphone out for a while in a few threads, but every now and then it tricks me to try again.

I've thought about an X5 but I don't know....

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:11 PM Post #454 of 3,064
X5 is really nice.  Good clean sound, plenty of bass thump when there, it really pairs well with the Fidues (not the Altones, to my ears), good GUI, easy controls.  Volume goes to 120, I'm listening with the Fidues at between 45-55 with most files.  So, plenty of power.  Tons of storage so you can use HD files with no problems.  Custom firmwares.  Good preferences.  

I'm surprised you haven't tried one yet.  
wink_face.gif

Nov 2, 2014 at 11:28 PM Post #455 of 3,064
X5 is really nice.  Good clean sound, plenty of bass thump when there, it really pairs well with the Fidues (not the Altones, to my ears), good GUI, easy controls.  Volume goes to 120, I'm listening with the Fidues at between 45-55 with most files.  So, plenty of power.  Tons of storage so you can use HD files with no problems.  Custom firmwares.  Good preferences.  

I'm surprised you haven't tried one yet.  :wink_face:  

Oh I have, had X5 for a couple of weeks, almost bought one, forget where I drifted off on that. As a last resort before the Cayin amp arrives tomorrow I'm going to roll some firmware on DX50. I remember getting it to decent levels with one of the sound explosion firmwares.

Nov 3, 2014 at 11:47 AM Post #456 of 3,064
Hey has anyone tried the A83s with a rsa balanced jack, out of something like the duet ?? I own the Dunu 2ks which sounds great in all respects out of the Clas solo-db + Duet set up..... However I was contemplated getting them recabled with a balanced jack I hear the A83 are similar but obviously have a removable cable. If I get the mod done there's no going back so be interesting to hear some impressions ?

Nov 3, 2014 at 10:37 PM Post #457 of 3,064
Got mine today and I am very happy. $279 on Amazon. Ordered Saturday night late and got them on Monday. Been going through my whole musical collection and driving my wife nuts. I can't hear squat with these on!

Going back and forth between the large silicon tips and the supplied foam tips. What are those foam tips? Are they Comply? I have some T-400s and they don't go on like the supplied foam tips. Thinking it might be because my T400s are old since they don't 'spring back' too quickly....or at all.

Nov 4, 2014 at 2:11 AM Post #458 of 3,064
  I found that the fit on these is just horrible (to the point that I contemplated returning them since black Friday is just around the corner), at least for my ears. I find it easily falling off and/or takes forever to adjust and sit properly on my ears. The regular wider holed tips and the comply's work better for me but I am also open to suggestions, especially from those that experience the same problem.

It was so frustrating for me when i got mine, i still remember after unboxing , i was playing around with the tips and fit for almost 30 mins (o.O) and even after that i couldnt get a seal.

But , things have improved since then, to the point that im pretty happy with em.

I recently ordered a pair of Dunu 1ks. And found that The Silicon Medium Reinforced tips work great with Fidue's they provide the best seal for me. Right now im listening to my fidues paired with Dunu's Red foam tips, they are pretty sweet. Fit is snug and they stay in place without issues. Ive walked around without issues with both these tips, no issues at all. Comply T400 Medium works good too but ive found myself using em less and less. Dunu tips work better for me.

One thing i have noticed is that, even if u get a perfect seal, they isolate less vs Dunu's. I think its by design they are less isolating. And over the time i have realized, that's what gives Fidues their sound signature.

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:46 AM Post #459 of 3,064
I've had Cayin C5 here most of today, quite impressed with soundstage and imaging this amp puts out, quite coherent doing a good job placing the instruments around you with A83. Bass is impactful exhibiting some extra sub-bass from our Fidue. Quite spacious to boot so there's lots going for C5, It is however a little too smooth for what I'm looking for in the mid-range, no doubt tied to the DX50 sounds great, more than great. The downside is I'm looking for a particular sound, slightly more aggressive one, Cayin isn't going to be the man for this job.

I'm having fun putting the amp through Its paces. (someone else might absolutely love it with A83)

Nov 4, 2014 at 5:55 AM Post #460 of 3,064
Just received mine!!! WOHOOOOOOOOO!!! 

Love the sound especially the mids, altho i feel like kinda lacks the sparkle the altones had when listening to female vocals. But definitely a more comfortable and enjoyable listening experience nonetheless.

oh and im still trying get the fit right. none of the tips seem to have a perfect fit/seal. I used to use spinfit eartips on my altones and i loved how deep it went. But when i use it on the a83s it just doesnt go in enough to give a good seal. Oh well, time to go tip hunting.

Nov 4, 2014 at 6:42 AM Post #461 of 3,064
Yey - the A83 are more of a shallow fit.  Once you get the right seal though, the magic really happens 
wink.gif

Nov 4, 2014 at 8:11 AM Post #463 of 3,064
How do these compare with audeo pfe 232? And what's a good portable amp or player to look out for this thanksgiving? :xf_eek:

If you can handle basic UI the $100 Colourfly C3 gets the job done on these real good, especially because of thier low power requirements at 11ohm. if not they sound pretty good from FiiO X1 too, but not quite as airy. If you want to spend more many members are using FiiO X5, such as Brooko up there above us, olddude and Loquah, but Loquah uses an E12 DIY from his X5.

Nov 4, 2014 at 9:28 AM Post #465 of 3,064
  I've had Cayin C5 here most of today, quite impressed with soundstage and imaging this amp puts out, quite coherent doing a good job placing the instruments around you with A83. Bass is impactful exhibiting some extra sub-bass from our Fidue. Quite spacious to boot so there's lots going for C5, It is however a little too smooth for what I'm looking for in the mid-range, no doubt tied to the DX50 sounds great, more than great. The downside is I'm looking for a particular sound, slightly more aggressive one, Cayin isn't going to be the man for this job.

I'm having fun putting the amp through Its paces. (someone else might absolutely love it with A83)

That is too bad about the Cayin C5 I was hoping that if I got the A83 that I could pair it with the Cayin c5. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back