Fidue A71 Dual Dynamic - Impressions Thread
Jan 16, 2015 at 9:38 PM Post #301 of 353
  My co-worker who is a treble head listened to these, and I straight away though that he would absolutely hate them because of the mid bass. But he loved them. It was difficult getting them back off him, he loved them that much. 

I got them out again for a comparison with some other IEMs I have. Unfortunately me for they still are pretty bad for my tastes.  As far as burn-in goes, these haven't changed in all the time I spent with them.

Just want to reiterate again - people who don't like overly warm signatures where the detail sits way in the background should avoid the A71. Unfortunately for me the hype on these should definitely be for borderline bass heads.  Hated the fact that the bass overpowered all the contrast I'm used to (high hats, guitar crunch, cymbals etc)

Not knocking them - just providing some balance to the thread .......

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #303 of 353

I got them out again for a comparison with some other IEMs I have. Unfortunately me for they still are pretty bad for my tastes.  As far as burn-in goes, these haven't changed in all the time I spent with them.

Just want to reiterate again - people who don't like overly warm signatures where the detail sits way in the background should avoid the A71. Unfortunately for me the hype on these should definitely be for borderline bass heads.  Hated the fact that the bass overpowered all the contrast I'm used to (high hats, guitar crunch, cymbals etc)

I completely agree with you on this. 

It's not like they're a bad IEM. They have really good detail and clarity which is hindered by the bass. EQ it down and it becomes an amazingly enjoyable earphone.

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:48 PM Post #304 of 353

Obviously the A71's are a "lovem or hatem" kind of iem based on preferences.

Which iems do you love?

Jan 16, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #305 of 353

Obviously the A71's are a "lovem or hatem" kind of iem based on preferences.

Which iems do you love?

Fidue A83, Dunu Titan, Altone200 would be my most used.

Also still like the DUNU DN-1000, and also cheaper IEMs like the Brainwavz M1, and RockJaw Alfa Genus.

The Fidue A81 are a bassy single dynamic, but the difference is that the bass (whilst too much for me personally) doesn't kill the detail from the mid-range.

I know the A71 were tuned with a specific demographic in mind. I'm not in that demographic.  A lot of others won't be either. I just don't want to see a lot of hype and a lot of disappointment.  Like the T10i I also reviewed - they sound decent if you EQ the bass down (a lot).  But let's not kid ourselves that there isn't a lot of bass bleed into the mid-range with these.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:11 PM Post #306 of 353

Fidue A83, Dunu Titan, Altone200 would be my most used.

Also still like the DUNU DN-1000, and also cheaper IEMs like the Brainwavz M1, and RockJaw Alfa Genus.

The Fidue A81 are a bassy single dynamic, but the difference is that the bass (whilst too much for me personally) doesn't kill the detail from the mid-range.

I know the A71 were tuned with a specific demographic in mind. I'm not in that demographic.  A lot of others won't be either. I just don't want to see a lot of hype and a lot of disappointment.  Like the T10i I also reviewed - they sound decent if you EQ the bass down (a lot).  But let's not kid ourselves that there isn't a lot of bass bleed into the mid-range with these.

I'm not sure what you mean by "demographic", since I'm not sure that demographics correlate with preferred sound signatures. Anyway, I think it's cool/fine/good that you are providing your opinion. I'm just trying to get a feel for what your particular preferences are, and they seem to be towards brighter and more detailed iems in general. Would you agree?

Btw, I have the Tpeos H200's which I think are fantastic, but I find that I enjoy the A71's even more. So I go back to my assertion that the a71's indeed do not suck, but that you either are going to love them or hate them depending on your preferences.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:23 PM Post #307 of 353
Oh I agree with that (I'm a borderline treblehead, definitely like neutral, can live with bassy as long as it doesn't mask detail) - but read any of my reviews (including the one I did on the A71) and I state my preferences very clearly - I do it for every review I write.  I also list all my gear in my profile (past and present). 

And by demographic - I guess I'm making the assumption that these are generally tuned to the younger generation who like a warmer more bass oriented sound.  Nothing wrong with that  - it's just not my preference.

The problem is when the A71 are described as something they are not.  Their bass does bleed into the mid-range.  It does mask detail. That isn't my preference at play - it happens.

Jan 16, 2015 at 10:32 PM Post #308 of 353
  And by demographic - I guess I'm making the assumption that these are generally tuned to the younger generation who like a warmer more bass oriented sound.  Nothing wrong with that  - it's just not my preference.

Ok. I haven't carbon dated myself lately, but I am definitely not younger lol. But I guess I like that warmer signature (and have a bit of an aversion to sibilance or brighter signatures).

The problem is when the A71 are described as something they are not.  Their bass does bleed into the mid-range.  It does mask detail. That isn't my preference at play - it happens.

I agree and disagree. If the A71's are used with warmer sounding sources or with smaller bore tips etc that increase bass, then yes I agree. But with more neutral sounding sources and wider bore tips, I don't find that the bass bleeds into the mid-range or masks details, and if a warmer signature is your preference, then I think that the A71's might just be magical/seductive/addictive/awesome :)

Jan 16, 2015 at 11:03 PM Post #309 of 353
We'll agree to disagree then.  I used a wide bore single flange:

It wasn't until I EQ'd the bass back that the great mid range they do possess was actually allowed to shine.

I'll quote myself (from the review I wrote) ....

Overall Detail / Clarity  
For this I always use both Steely Dan’s “Gaucho” and Dire Strait’s “Sultans of Swing” as there is a lot of micro detail in both tracks, and the recording quality for both is excellent.
With Gaucho, the sax intro is natural sounding and very smooth – with more bass guitar emphasis than I’m usually used to.  Vocals are also smooth and lush – but the cymbals and high hats are quite subdued – almost lost in the background. I can definitely hear the bass guitar, and thump of the kick drum coming through.  Overall – a smooth and warm listen. I am missing some of the upper end sparkle that makes this track magic though.  There just isn’t enough contrast.

Switching to Sultans of Swing, and again it’s a really warm and smooth listen.  The constant background sound is the bass guitar. With other IEMs, this is usually punctuated with the crunch of Knopfler’s guitar and the polite splash of cymbals, but this time that crunch doesn’t have edge, and the cymbals are a gentle ‘tish’ – hardly there really.  The bass is reasonably good overall, with a slight mid-bass bloom and longer decay.  Vocals are clear – and this is where the A71 shines, but all the upper end detail is being masked by the overly warm signature.  I know the detail is there – I can hear it, but I’m straining to get it – and normally the contrast is what supplies this track its dynamics.  The contrast is missing. Sadly so is the magic.

Jan 17, 2015 at 10:22 AM Post #310 of 353
I tried again to listen to EDM yesterday with Altone 200. The problem is that the treble is too aggressive and ruins the EDM experience, that I think should be a smoother "go with the vibe" kind of thing and not getting distracted by aggressiveness of higher range sounds. That's what I want from A71. It's somehow just for some specifics kind of music genres. I don't have an IEM great for EDM and I'm betting on this. Considered also the EPH100 but went for the A71 after some research. I felt like rather bet on this.

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:02 AM Post #312 of 353

My review of these is up: http://www.head-fi.org/products/fidue-a71-dual-dynamic-drivers-hi-fi-earphones/reviews/12482

Thank you once again for filling the spot for me DJScope, It's always much appreciated. 

I hope you continue to enjoy A71, its a wonderful dual dynamic from Fidue.

beerchug.gif

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:15 AM Post #313 of 353
Thank you once again for filling the spot for me DJScope, It's always much appreciated. 

I hope you continue to enjoy A71, its a wonderful dual dynamic from Fidue.

:beerchug:

No, thank you! Its was a great opportunity!

Jan 30, 2015 at 6:07 PM Post #314 of 353
I've updated the review.

Wasn't happy with the layout, it's much better now. The post editor on this forum isn't the most ideal to say the least.

Also added some key features that I forgot to mention. These include isolation, bloominess in the sound, and more on Design and Build I completely skipped. 

In my defence, I had a migraine all day. But I'm 100% happy with the review as it is right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back