Fidelizer appreciation and impressions thread
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2017 at 3:08 AM Post #391 of 439
If you use Pro version, services will be disabled instead of stopping and you can turn some back on to fix these issues too. It could be your sound card driver is tied to some stopped services. Maybe that won't happen with Pro version since it uses different approach.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 14, 2017 at 10:05 AM Post #392 of 439
  If you use Pro version, services will be disabled instead of stopping and you can turn some back on to fix these issues too. It could be your sound card driver is tied to some stopped services. Maybe that won't happen with Pro version since it uses different approach.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Any chance you will add the ability to, for example, call a batch file to run after Fidelizer does what it does?  I envision an addition to the Advanced tab where one could point to said batch file.  As it is now, when I run Purist Media Center I need to manually launch the batch file, which starts the Desktop Window Manager service, and then stops and restarts my TightVNC server.  Not a big deal, obviously, to double click the shortcut on my desktop, but it'd be a nice convenience to have Fidelizer launch it for me.

Ah, first world problems :wink:

Mar 17, 2017 at 5:50 PM Post #393 of 439

Any chance you will add the ability to, for example, call a batch file to run after Fidelizer does what it does?  I envision an addition to the Advanced tab where one could point to said batch file.  As it is now, when I run Purist Media Center I need to manually launch the batch file, which starts the Desktop Window Manager service, and then stops and restarts my TightVNC server.  Not a big deal, obviously, to double click the shortcut on my desktop, but it'd be a nice convenience to have Fidelizer launch it for me.

Ah, first world problems :wink:

Current version of Fidelizer 7.6 can choose batch script file already. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 17, 2017 at 7:25 PM Post #394 of 439

Regards,
Keetakawee

LOL, that's what I get for upgrading without reading What's New.  Thanks!

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:57 AM Post #395 of 439
Originally Posted by TheAttorney /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One enhancement request: Can my chosen music app (eg Roon)  (or several apps, such as Roon, JRMC, Spotify) permanently be assigned a higher run priority?
I don't want to go into Admin mode or re-run the full Fidelizer script in order to re-apply this every time I stop and restart Roon..   

I've found a good answer to my own question: I've added Process Lasso (free version) to run alongside Fidelizer Pro. This pairing has come up earlier on this thread, but got hijacked by a troll.
There's probably some overlap in what these 2 apps bring to the party, but they do seem to specialize in complementary areas - PL specializing in making the CPU run more efficiently, with the most extreme "Gaming mode" in particular disabling all of the CPU's energy saving features, so that it's always ready at full alert to respond to load changes (an over-simplified summary).

PL has helped my situation in 2 ways:

Firstly, I've got it to permanently allocate high run priority to my music app Roon.exe (and also RAAT server for good measure).
Secondly, I've marked those apps as "Games", which means that PL will automatically go into Gaming mode when those apps are running - and return to ProBalanaced mode as soon as they stop. This Gaming mode has given me a nice boost to SQ - a more obvious increase than F Pro gave me actually, but the two seem complementary in what they bring: F Pro giving a more natural/organic sound and PL more clarity and dynamics (an over-simplified summary).

This is working unexpectedly well now in my multi-purpose workhorse laptop: I leave PL running all the time in Pro Blanaced mode, and F Pro at Purist level but not set to auto restart on reboot.
Whenever I want to do audiophile listening, The only thing I need to do is just run F Pro, which automatically kicks off Roon which automatically puts PL into Gaming mode.

Anything thing I've missed X? There are millions of options in PL, but I've kept changes to the above minmum.

I suppose I should also complete the trilogy by trying AO, but the latter seems to be suitable for only for dedicated Audio PCs. From what I've read I can't just switch levels as easily as I can with F Pro and PL.

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:27 AM Post #396 of 439

I've found a good answer to my own question: I've added Process Lasso (free version) to run alongside Fidelizer Pro. This pairing has come up earlier on this thread, but got hijacked by a troll.
There's probably some overlap in what these 2 apps bring to the party, but they do seem to specialize in complementary areas - PL specializing in making the CPU run more efficiently, with the most extreme "Gaming mode" in particular disabling all of the CPU's energy saving features, so that it's always ready at full alert to respond to load changes (an over-simplified summary).

Firstly, I've got it to permanently allocate high run priority to my music app Roon.exe (and also RAAT server for good measure).
Secondly, I've marked those apps as "Games", which means that PL will automatically go into Gaming mode when those apps are running - and return to ProBalanaced mode as soon as they stop. This Gaming mode has given me a nice boost to SQ - a more obvious increase than F Pro gave me actually, but the two seem complementary in what they bring: F Pro giving a more natural/organic sound and PL more clarity and dynamics (an over-simplified summary).

This is working unexpectedly well now in my multi-purpose workhorse laptop: I leave PL running all the time in Pro Blanaced mode, and F Pro at Purist level but not set to auto restart on reboot.
Whenever I want to do audiophile listening, The only thing I need to do is just run F Pro, which automatically kicks off Roon which automatically puts PL into Gaming mode.

Anything thing I've missed X? There are millions of options in PL, but I've kept changes to the above minmum.

I suppose I should also complete the trilogy by trying AO, but the latter seems to be suitable for only for dedicated Audio PCs. From what I've read I can't just switch levels as easily as I can with F Pro and PL.

Wow, thanks for sharing, TheAttorney. I'll make sure to try this as I'm in an identical situation, having to use my office laptop as music rig, running Roon on it and just yesterday installed Fidelizer Pro. 

I recall your previous post where you were thinking of trying Extremist mode and still have a workable, functional PC for office use. Any success?

Mar 18, 2017 at 10:58 AM Post #397 of 439
I haven't tried Purist mode for long periods when laptop is in workhorse mode because, if nothing else, this appears to disable the app update processes and probably some background maintenance processes, which I guess is not a good idea in the long term, so I don't even try, which is why I don't set the "restart F on reboot" option.

In short tests, Purist mode didn't stop any of the apps I tried from working. Eg Firefox browser, Thunderbird email and some MS Office apps

Mar 18, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #398 of 439

LOL, that's what I get for upgrading without reading What's New.  Thanks!

Glad to hear you can get it working now. :)

I suppose it's up to user's preference with Process Lasso. For me, it's designed to help leavering system and i/o performancve to improve efficiency.

Some customers found sound quality getting worse with ProBalance and some also found it getting better. I use it only process tweaking part. Auto process configuration is quite convenient for me.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 18, 2017 at 6:44 PM Post #399 of 439

Regards,
Keetakawee

Sorry, I just don't see how.  Can you please provide detailed instructions.  I launched 7.6 Pro, even though I'd already applied it after booting Windows 7, but didn't see any option to run a batch file as part of running Fidelizer.  I read the Guide PDF, but didn't see anything.  I rebooted and launched 7.6 Pro, per usual, but of course it's the same as before.

Do you mean that instead of telling Fidelizer to launch foobar2000 as it's final step, I can choose a batch file?  I suppose if I add a line to start foobar2000 to said batch file, it will accomplish what I'm after.  Otherwise, I'll still have to take the manual step of launching foobar2000.  As it stands, I have to manually run the batch file to restart the DWM service and TightVNC, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

Should I re-download 7.6 Pro?  You say "current version of..."

Thanks.

Mar 19, 2017 at 9:01 AM Post #400 of 439

Sorry, I just don't see how.  Can you please provide detailed instructions.  I launched 7.6 Pro, even though I'd already applied it after booting Windows 7, but didn't see any option to run a batch file as part of running Fidelizer.  I read the Guide PDF, but didn't see anything.  I rebooted and launched 7.6 Pro, per usual, but of course it's the same as before.

Do you mean that instead of telling Fidelizer to launch foobar2000 as it's final step, I can choose a batch file?  I suppose if I add a line to start foobar2000 to said batch file, it will accomplish what I'm after.  Otherwise, I'll still have to take the manual step of launching foobar2000.  As it stands, I have to manually run the batch file to restart the DWM service and TightVNC, so it's six of one, half dozen of the other.

Should I re-download 7.6 Pro?  You say "current version of..."

Thanks.

After you hit Fidelize, program will ask if you want to launch music player application. Please select checkbox "Change media player application" and click Yes. You'll be able to select music player application again and this time you can choose any file. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 19, 2017 at 10:17 AM Post #401 of 439
  After you hit Fidelize, program will ask if you want to launch music player application. Please select checkbox "Change media player application" and click Yes. You'll be able to select music player application again and this time you can choose any file. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Thanks for the confirmation, K.  I figured that's what you meant.  So now I just need to add a line to start foobar2000.  It's becoming a nice little batch file.  Maybe I can get it to start the coffee maker, too :wink:

Mar 19, 2017 at 5:57 PM Post #402 of 439

Regards,
Keetakawee

Didn't work.  Here are the errors reported once Fidelizer finished:

Code:
 'Restart' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. 'TightVNC' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file. 'foobar2000.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command, operable program or batch file.

Here's the batch file that's trying to do three things.  NB: it runs fine if I execute it normally (i.e., not having Fidelizer call it).

Code:
 @echo off echo. echo "Starting Desktop Window Manager service..." net start uxsms timeout /T 3 /nobreak echo. echo "Stopping TightVNC service..." "C:\Program Files\TightVNC\tvnserver.exe" -stop echo. echo "TightVNC service stopped successfully..." timeout /T 3 /nobreak echo. echo "Starting TightVNC service..." "C:\Program Files\TightVNC\tvnserver.exe" -start echo. Echo "TightVNC service started successfully" echo. timeout /T 3 /nobreak > nul REM REM Start foobar2000 in a specific playlist and start playing randomly REM echo. REM echo "Starting foobar2000..." nircmd.exe win hide ititle "cmd.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playlist-find:"Burn-in MegaMix" /play /rand REM echo. timeout /T 3 /nobreak > nul

Any ideas?

One thing that jumps out at me in errors is that it seems to be referring to the name of the batch file:  Restart DWM & TightVNC & foobar2000.bat
Maybe Fidelizer doesn't handle the spaces properly.  If so, that should be a relatively easy fix in your code.  When I get a chance I'll re-test by naming the batch file something without spaces (test.bat or whatever).

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:00 PM Post #403 of 439

Didn't work.  Here are the errors reported once Fidelizer finished:

Code:
 'Restart' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.'TightVNC' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.'foobar2000.bat' is not recognized as an internal or external command,operable program or batch file.

Here's the batch file that's trying to do three things.  NB: it runs fine if I execute it normally (i.e., not having Fidelizer call it).

Code:
 @echo offecho.echo "Starting Desktop Window Manager service..."net start uxsmstimeout /T 3 /nobreakecho.echo "Stopping TightVNC service...""C:\Program Files\TightVNC\tvnserver.exe" -stopecho.echo "TightVNC service stopped successfully..."timeout /T 3 /nobreakecho.echo "Starting TightVNC service...""C:\Program Files\TightVNC\tvnserver.exe" -startecho.Echo "TightVNC service started successfully"echo.timeout /T 3 /nobreak > nulREMREM Start foobar2000 in a specific playlist and start playing randomlyREMecho.REM echo "Starting foobar2000..."nircmd.exe win hide ititle "cmd.exe""C:\Program Files (x86)\foobar2000\foobar2000.exe" /playlist-find:"Burn-in MegaMix" /play /randREMecho.timeout /T 3 /nobreak > nul

Any ideas?

One thing that jumps out at me in errors is that it seems to be referring to the name of the batch file:  Restart DWM & TightVNC & foobar2000.bat
Maybe Fidelizer doesn't handle the spaces properly.  If so, that should be a relatively easy fix in your code.  When I get a chance I'll re-test by naming the batch file something without spaces (test.bat or whatever).

Batch file will be executed from x86 process so direct x64 path won't work. You need to substitute C:\Program Files path with %ProgramW6432% in batch script for x64 OS.

Regards,
Keetakawee

Mar 19, 2017 at 6:27 PM Post #404 of 439
  Batch file will be executed from x86 process so direct x64 path won't work. You need to substitute C:\Program Files path with %ProgramW6432% in batch script for x64 OS.

Regards,
Keetakawee

I simply renamed the batch file to FiddyStartup.bat (no spaces) and it ran fine at the end of the Fidelizer startup process, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.  It's definitely a problem with the way Fidelizer handles spaces.  I bet if I renamed foobar2000.exe to "foobar 2000.exe" it would fail to launch.

Anyway, all that's left for me to do is figure out how to get the command prompt window to either close once foobar2000 launches (last step in the batch file), or hide it.  nircmd works well for that when I used it in testing just starting foobar2000.  Maybe the echo statements are the problem.

OK, never mind about renaming foobar2000.exe, cuz that just breaks it 
biggrin.gif

After lots of experimentation here's the problem I have with Fidelizer launching a batch file upon completion: the command prompt window always stays open.  I even tried converting the batch file to a .exe, but still ended up with a window I have to close.  In the end, the easiest solution for me - the goal being to restart DWM, TightVNC, and launch foobar2000 into a specific playlist and have it start playing... with no visible command prompt window - is to stick all three operations in a batch file, tell Fidelizer not to start anything, and run said batch file manually.  Again, it's just what works best for me.  Fidelizer will do all that, if I tell it to run the batch file, I just don't want to have to close that window.

Picking at nits, to be sure, but there ya go.

If you have any suggestions as to how to get that command window to close after Fidelizer runs it, I'm all ears.  If not, it's all good 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 24, 2017 at 2:43 PM Post #405 of 439

I simply renamed the batch file to FiddyStartup.bat (no spaces) and it ran fine at the end of the Fidelizer startup process, so I'm not sure what you're referring to.  It's definitely a problem with the way Fidelizer handles spaces.  I bet if I renamed foobar2000.exe to "foobar 2000.exe" it would fail to launch.

Anyway, all that's left for me to do is figure out how to get the command prompt window to either close once foobar2000 launches (last step in the batch file), or hide it.  nircmd works well for that when I used it in testing just starting foobar2000.  Maybe the echo statements are the problem.

OK, never mind about renaming foobar2000.exe, cuz that just breaks it 
biggrin.gif

After lots of experimentation here's the problem I have with Fidelizer launching a batch file upon completion: the command prompt window always stays open.  I even tried converting the batch file to a .exe, but still ended up with a window I have to close.  In the end, the easiest solution for me - the goal being to restart DWM, TightVNC, and launch foobar2000 into a specific playlist and have it start playing... with no visible command prompt window - is to stick all three operations in a batch file, tell Fidelizer not to start anything, and run said batch file manually.  Again, it's just what works best for me.  Fidelizer will do all that, if I tell it to run the batch file, I just don't want to have to close that window.

Picking at nits, to be sure, but there ya go.

If you have any suggestions as to how to get that command window to close after Fidelizer runs it, I'm all ears.  If not, it's all good 
smily_headphones1.gif

I'm sorry for late reply. I was busy with lots of schedules in this week including HE1 audition too. I only got time to check out forums today.

Maybe it has something to do with double quote " not being used so space can be issues in some cases. Normally batch script will terminate itself after finishing the command. I recommend you to try start command so it will not hold process and can also customize with priority and affinity too. :)

Regards,
Keetakawee

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back